Martians: A Story of Civilization» Forums » General

Subject: How are you keeping track of time? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Barker
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've noticed from watching a YouTube video that the prototype copies included little hourglass markers players could flip/pass as they spent their time, and this is something I feel is lacking from the game. If I've missed components and how they should be used, please let me know.

I know it's only 3 units, but as that's broken up over 3-4 turns, and with some worker placement zones carrying additional or unprinted time costs, I think it can get a little clumsy.

I think I'm going to add a set of dice short-term, with a look to produce some wooden tokens with the hour glass symbol printed on that players can flip to a blank side as they perform an action.

Anyone else have any feelings on keeping track of time and the game not offering an easy way to do so?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peer Lagerpusch
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I had no problems so far keeping track of my time. If I don't spend all of my three time units the rest is lost, so why the need to have tokens for time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pete truss
England
flag msg tools
mb
You get 3 time per turn only, 3-4 times per cycle. Use them or lose them. The actions that don't have time printed on the board doesn't cost time. Is that how your playing it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barker
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm playing it like this, tell me if I'm wrong. This is all competitive btw, not co-op.

Players take turns placing 1 meeple and taking 1 action. That action will cost 1-3 time. Then anyone with time left takes a second action in turn order, then a third. So noone is taking all 3 actions consecutively.

If 2 players excavate and 1 does and 1 does not pay extra time to examine their Regolith, you have markers on the board in the same spot having paid different amounts of time to be there. And by the time two full turns have played though and it comes back to the first player to take their final action, people have invariably forgot if they spent two or three time on the previous passes.

Then one guy places his final meeple in the first turn and takes a recreation in the second, when it gets to his third he has nothing on the board and possibly still some time left, but no physical marker to remind the other players of how much time he has.

Maybe there's just too much AP and some slow play. But I think there's some benefit to be had from a physical time tracker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Daniel, that's not how it works.

In your turn you have 3 times to spend before the next player gets his/her turn. You can use as many action markers (meeples) as you like in your turn, as long as you use max 3 units of time to take actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barker
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
So you would take every action at once and place all of your coloured colonists in the accommodation before a second player goes?

Hmm, that seems broken if there's 5 rounds as starting resources are even and the first player would get an extra free pass at the board.

How have you found the game player it the way you have just said? Is it unbalanced towards the first player?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barker
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ah ok, I think I'm getting it now. Man, this game is confusing.

So a 'turn' is 3 time and as many meeples as you need. After which you place 1 colonist token.

After everyone has placed 1 token, the first player changes and you repeat.

Right, the 5th cycle probably isnt broken that way then as byu then there will probably be a half full board of other characters. IT does still seem a slight advantage though given the equal resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The first player gets fewer credits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barker
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Missed that as well!

Right, another playthrough tonight is clearly required before I form an opinion. Thanks guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teik Chooi Oh
United Kingdom
Chorley
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Problem is folks call it a worker placement game but it isn't. All about managing your 3 time, each turn. 'Workers' are meeples called Action token, which you place to spend the time (which can be 0 to 3). Then to add to confusion, you put Colony token in each round (when you had your turn), which is not related to the meeples either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.