A Feast for Odin» Forums » General

Subject: Asmodee price gouging rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MSRP is 70€ where Asmodee is not: in the Netherlands, Germany, Spain and Italy.

MSRP is 100€/$ where Asmodee is: in the french and english-speaking markets.

Nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Indru
Romania
Timisoara
Timis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Z-Man version sells for around 85 Euros in Romania.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tudor
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the Asmonopoly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
djdano wrote:
The Z-Man version sells for around 85 Euros in Romania.

I was citing MSRP not online discounted prices, which are ca. 10% cheaper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bedlow
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
£93 retail here in the UK, discounts put it between £75 and £83, seems to still sell but doesn't change the fact it is overpriced due to Asmodee strangle hold on distribution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Derphausen
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The romanians have taken over!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Valerio
Portugal
Aveiro
flag msg tools
www.rededejogos.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's all over the place, some Spanish shops are selling this for over 100€...

IMO this is going to prevent a lot of gamers from buying the game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first Finnish store to list the game has it at 130 euros...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ B
Ireland
Cavan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
English versions of Zman games were always hiked up in price, this is nothing new
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fiomtec
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
Watcha looking at?
mbmbmbmbmb
Oblivion wrote:
It's all over the place, some Spanish shops are selling this for over 100€...

IMO this is going to prevent a lot of gamers from buying the game...

And some other shops are selling it for about 60€. The Spanish Devir version, that is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, glad I picked up a copy at Essen for 60 euros, that equates to about £45 with my pre brexit purchased euros as opposed to £95 if I bought it at 100 euros with the current exchange rate

Seems it started out at 100 euros at Essen on the Thursday but they then dropped the price probably when they realised what other versions were selling for

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Francis
Australia
Maryborough
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Australia here...

Cheapest price so far - $170 AUD

Hrmmm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After Essen the cheapest offer in Germany I think is from http://www.fantasy-in.de for 64.99 € including shipping in Germany.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alban Thomas
France
Blain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, this just unacceptable, and as a result I wont buy this game even though I was highly interested in. #boycott
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy en Stoj
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're really missing something...
Maybe if you ever plan a citytrip, you could go to Amsterdam or Berlin to pick up a copy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolands Briedis
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
This is ENG version?

Mondkalb123 wrote:
After Essen the cheapest offer in Germany I think is from http://www.fantasy-in.de for 64.99 € including shipping in Germany.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lazurits wrote:
This is ENG version?

Mondkalb123 wrote:

No, that is the german Version.

Apart from this, the game is pretty much language independent. There is some minor text on the Cards (and of course on the action board and the round overview), but they are numbered and a full explanation is available in the downloadable appendix anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alban Thomas
France
Blain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CinSto wrote:
You're really missing something...
Maybe if you ever plan a citytrip, you could go to Amsterdam or Berlin to pick up a copy?
Well, it's not every day, but who knows.

A Fest for Odin has 95% chances to please me, but it's not like if there was not enough excellent board games out there.

Of course, this information has to be confirmed. A clue is that a famous online french retailer (well known, among others, for his low prices) has set the price to 90€, which seems to corroborate a MSRP of 100€.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oskar Arnason
Iceland
Reykjavík
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
msaari wrote:
The first Finnish store to list the game has it at 130 euros...

I just bought my copy in Iceland from my FLGS for 14995 isk = 119,88€ - You Finns are getting ripped off!

That being said, there are more bits in Caverna, and I feel that aFfO could have been priced closer to Le Havre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy en Stoj
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose you could buy the game online in the Netherlands.
The site I use:
Game € 57,50 (incl. handpainted moose)
Shipment costs within EU € 17,50

That's € 75 for a Dutch copy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alban Thomas
France
Blain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CinSto wrote:
That's € 75 for a Dutch copy...
Thanks, but it's not really an option for a "Moderate in-game text" game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Price gouging?

Wikipedia wrote:
Price gouging is a pejorative term referring to when a seller spikes the prices of goods, services or commodities to a level much higher than is considered reasonable or fair, and is considered exploitative, potentially to an unethical extent. Usually this event occurs after a demand or supply shock: common examples include price increases of basic necessities after hurricanes or other natural disasters.

The term is similar to profiteering but can be distinguished by being short-term and localized, and by a restriction to essentials such as food, clothing, shelter, medicine and equipment needed to preserve life, limb and property.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chearns wrote:
Price gouging?

Wikipedia wrote:
Price gouging is a pejorative term referring to when a seller spikes the prices of goods, services or commodities to a level much higher than is considered reasonable or fair, and is considered exploitative, potentially to an unethical extent. Usually this event occurs after a demand or supply shock: common examples include price increases of basic necessities after hurricanes or other natural disasters.

The term is similar to profiteering but can be distinguished by being short-term and localized, and by a restriction to essentials such as food, clothing, shelter, medicine and equipment needed to preserve life, limb and property.

But also:
The freedictionary wrote:
pricing above the market price when no alternative retailer is available
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
tilouboy wrote:
chearns wrote:
Price gouging?

Wikipedia wrote:

But also:

On the other hand, if enough folks are willing to pay the price, it is market price. (95e for my Eng-copy)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shader10 wrote:
tilouboy wrote:
chearns wrote:
Price gouging?

Wikipedia wrote:

But also:

On the other hand, if enough folks are willing to pay the price, it is market price. (95e for my Eng-copy)

What is enough folks and what would "pricing above the market price" even mean?

Market price in our context is simply the price for which comparable games are sold, Caverna or Terra Mystica for example.

The object of this thread is quite simple: the english and french versions of Odin are overpriced. Simple as that.

If your aim is to say that no price is overpriced as long as there are people paying for it... it's kind of rhetorical. Fact is Odin does cost more than comparable games and more than the same game in other languages. And the only difference is the distributor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.