Food Chain Magnate #33
Arcadia Quest #66
Mansions of Madness: Second Edition #81
The Gallerist #87
Forbidden Stars #90
Terraforming Mars #98

For a review/explanation of the terms in this thread, check out:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Top_100_Analysis

Do two player games have an advantage? How about games that support two players? That's an interesting theory. (Just trying to grok why 7W never did as well as 7W-D. Geeklist soonish...

Have a good week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Check out Clockwork Wars. It's a pretty darn good dudes on a hex map Euro'ish steampunk game. Quick and fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
jmsr525 wrote:
Forbidden Stars #90

GREAT game RUINED by bad biz breakup. SAD. I'd do huge reprint! #MFSGA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
JonMichael, next week will be your geekiversary here.

Every week, I read these little updates of yours. I find the rating system greatly flawed, but I'm always fascinated by stats. I find new games through your little analysis. It's weirdly interesting to see tiny movements and trends, sometimes accompanied by some pretty bad puns.

To me, this is a regular and important feature on BGG. User generated content is what this is all about, and yours is appreciated.

Please accept a gift of 100 gg in thanks for all of your number crunching.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonMichael Rasmus
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
JonMichael, next week will be your geekiversary here.

Every week, I read these little updates of yours. I find the rating system greatly flawed, but I'm always fascinated by stats. I find new games through your little analysis. It's weirdly interesting to see tiny movements and trends, sometimes accompanied by some pretty bad puns.

To me, this is a regular and important feature on BGG. User generated content is what this is all about, and yours is appreciated.

Please accept a gift of 100 gg in thanks for all of your number crunching.

Thank you.

In my life, I have been a game designer, food blogger and author, crossword setter, Sporcle quizmaster, pop music devotee, and failed comedy writer. None of those things has provided me with the consistent appreciation I receive here for doing some rudimentary chart analysis (and I admit that I have the second most popular version of this information here). This is a great community and I thank everyone who is a part of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben T

North Carolina
msg tools
Terraforming Mars is absolutely rocketing up the chain. Mixed feelings on the Duel vs. Castle of Burgundy fight, but they're both fantastic games that deserve to be top 10. I'm wondering what will eventually give way to let Scythe in there; I can't imagine a top 10 without Agricola, but I suppose Caverna will at least carry the flag for Rosenborg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmsr525 wrote:
Do two player games have an advantage? How about games that support two players? That's an interesting theory. (Just trying to grok why 7W never did as well as 7W-D.

Interesting thought. For people like me who lives with someone who while not really a board gamer, enjoys board games enough to regularly want to play games - including heavy games like Twilight Struggle - it's easier for us to get two player games to the table than any other, but you also get a bunch of people in the opposite situation, that they never really play two player games since most of their gaming is at gaming groups where two player games have a little bit of a stigma against them.

I'd have thought, then, that games that have the option to play 2 but aren't 2 player only would get the best of both worlds (as long as the two player version of the game is any good)... So, a bunch of 2-x or 1-x>2 games, not so many 3-x, 2 or 1-2 games. Looking at the top 10, we see:

...Looking through the top 10...

Pandemic Legacy - 2-4, plays well with 2
Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization - 2-4, plays well with 2*
Twilight Struggle - 2 player only
Terra Mystica - 2-5, plays well with 2*
Caverna The Cave Farmers - 1-7, plays well with 2
Star Wars Rebellion - 2-4, plays well** with 2* (It's one of those 2 player games that offers you the option of splitting forces into two groups for team play, isn't it? If so I'd consider grouping it with 2 player only, not convinced anyone actually splits the forces in those)
Puerto Rico: 2-5 players, plays well with 2***
7 Wonders Duel: 2 player only
Castles of Burgundy: 2-4, plays well** with 2
Agricola: 1-5, plays well with 2

*based on community ratings rather than personal experience
** Best according to community
***based on community ratings rather than personal experience. Interestingly, for this one the community is extremely divided on it's play at two, with almost half not recommending at two - more than recommend it, in fact, but the amount of people who think it's best with two pushing it over the edge.

Only Puerto Rico is debatable on if it plays well with 2 or not, based on the community data.

Below that, you have to go down to Blood Rage (#16) to find a game not recommended for 2 by the community - again, Puerto Rico is close - And TI3 (#34) for a game that either doesn't claim to play 2 player or which doesn't have a 2 player variant that's successful enough that it's recommended even though it's not packaged in the box (At least, my copy of Brass claims 3-4 despite the Geek listing it as 2-4)

Meanwhile, by the time we get to that not recommended for 2 game (Blood Rage, #16), we see no other 2 player only games - though I think we get another in that 2-4 player but split forces among two on a team if you play with more than 2 with War of the Rings (#15), and we get Imperial Assault (#14), which is 2-5 player, apparently best at 2 and at 5, which... There are two modes of play, one two player tactical skirmish the other a Decent style one vs many game, right? I wonder how well it would have rated with only the 2 player skirmish or only the Star Wars Dungeon Crawl with player playing the villains side - so 2 and two sort ofs for if they play at all with more than 2.

By the time we get to our first game that doesn't even pretend to play with 2 (TI3, #34), we get one additional two player only game, Android: Netrunner (#19), for 3 and two bits 2 player only games, and a smattering of additional games that aren't recommended with 2 by the community (Power Grid, #17; Codenames, #20; TIME Stories, #25; Dead of Winter, #26; 7 Wonders, #28) for 6 games that the community don't think should be played at 2.

Which I think might confirm my suspicion that games do best if they cater to both those of us who mainly play two player and mainly play multiplayer, but how much that's because publishers think that way and so bias their acquisitions to games that can be played by both groups and couples (and there are a couple of games that seem like they should have just listed 2 on the box, or have not listed 2 on the box, but did so anyway), and how much that is actually the case... I'm not sure we actually have data to support that.

We also seem to have a slight bias towards games that play only two player or should only be played two player in the highest ratings , but games that play well multiplayer and not two player - or at least shouldn't be played two player - seem to make up the volume lower down the list.

Would be interesting to see fuller data on that - enough to do actual analysis on which my cursory search certainly isn't, since that's as far as I'm prepared to go manually through that data for this sort of fun analysis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go simpler for 7wd doing better than 7w, it is a rewrite, or attracting an expansion crowd. Like TtA, PL, Caverna, etc. It has a predisposed fan base and therefore attracts a rating bias. It is not necessarily doing better objectively, but selectively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.