Support:

Christian Bou Farhat
Germany
Grafenau Döffingen
BW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

1) how can i apply the rule of unfullfiled demand to the event card that says to loose half of the palissad level ( its on 0).... ?

2) if i successfully build a scenario item..is it available right now or after the action phase? as for usual items...

3) it looks like 15 black wooden disks are not enough ...am i missing something ? i need to put disks on each item with an explored tile type, and one black on each ability i use... i played solo and i had like 1 remaining...

4) is it so difficult in Solo...i failed Castaways miserably

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joffrey N.
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
christizzz wrote:
Hello,

1) how can i apply the rule of unfullfiled demand to the event card that says to loose half of the palissad level ( its on 0).... ?

2) if i successfully build a scenario item..is it available right now or after the action phase? as for usual items...

3) it looks like 15 black wooden disks are not enough ...am i missing something ? i need to put disks on each item with an explored tile type, and one black on each ability i use... i played solo and i had like 1 remaining...

Thank you

Hi !

1) You cannot loose half of something you don't have so unfulfilled demand, each character takes a wound unless it's during the action phase then only the player who draw the effect takes a wound (look at the Storm Damage / Repair example p36)

2) Usually after the action phase, unless specified otherwise in the scenario item description in the rulebook (for example, building Jolly-Boat/Lifeboat makes you win immediately, you don't have to wait the end of action phase for these ones). What items do you refer to exactly ?

3) It is written in the marker section p26 that you should use white ones if by any chance, you dont have enough black markers

4) Once you get the good strategy, Castways solo should not be that hard Try to find your own or take a look at the few threads in strategy/general section
My recommendations would be to build a roof before weather gets too ugly, and build the hatchet asap. Try to not use wood for building your shelter/roof (use fur if you can), and send our friend Friday gathering some wood too Also be sure to make full use of your character abilities because solo you should get bunch of discovery tokens with the morale boost each turn

Hope this helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Bou Farhat
Germany
Grafenau Döffingen
BW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
La_Gofr wrote:
christizzz wrote:
Hello,

Thank you

Hi !

1) You cannot loose half of something you don't have so unfulfilled demand, each character takes a wound unless it's during the action phase then only the player who draw the effect takes a wound (look at the Storm Damage / Repair example p36)

2) Usually after the action phase, unless specified otherwise in the scenario item description in the rulebook (for example, building Jolly-Boat/Lifeboat makes you win immediately, you don't have to wait the end of action phase for these ones). What items do you refer to exactly ?

3) It is written in the marker section p26 that you should use white ones if by any chance, you dont have enough black markers

4) Once you get the good strategy, Castways solo should not be that hard Try to find your own or take a look at the few threads in strategy/general section
My recommendations would be to build a roof before weather gets too ugly, and build the hatchet asap. Try to not use wood for building your shelter/roof (use fur if you can), and send our friend Friday gathering some wood too Also be sure to make full use of your character abilities because solo you should get bunch of discovery tokens with the morale boost each turn

Hope this helps

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Lesperance
United States
Northville
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
La_Gofr wrote:

1) You cannot loose half of something you don't have so unfulfilled demand

I agree that Gofr has correctly explained the official rules.

But I do have an issue that this game is redefining math itself.
1/2 of zero is zero. Can you afford to pay zero? Happily, yes.

The more exclusions and exceptions to these golden rules, the more fiddly the game gets.

They could have solved this with a "(minimum of 1)" clause on the card. Now, people don't have to bookmark everywhere in the game where "cursed island math" differs from math everywhere else in the universe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is my experience that boardgamers often treat zero different from other number. For example in Tides of Time allows you to win all ties when determining majorities but you still don't win it if you both have zero.

It is certainly well defined that half of zero is zero and losing zero does not leave you with unfulfilled demand. So I will disagree with the ruling even though it is probably official and I am just some dude on the forum

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:
It is certainly well defined that half of zero is zero and losing zero does not leave you with unfulfilled demand. So I will disagree with the ruling even though it is probably official and I am just some dude on the forum

Mathematically, I'm with you on this↑. But at least one event in the game which removes half of your roof or palisade is a hurricane. If you have neither of those barriers, it makes sense that you'd each take at least one wound. And it's in the official faq.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Bou Farhat
Germany
Grafenau Döffingen
BW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday we played cataways ( 4players ) aaaaaaaaaaaand we lost in the 7th round due to weather..we couldnt afford to give food and wood per missing level... and then we were hungry...
anyway...some additional questions,

A) an event card came out (catastrophe) where it says to put all flipped items in the future ressources box.
1) is the hatchet from the scenario also inactive ?
2) What about the knife ? do i loose the +1 weapon gained previously ?

B)if someone must spend the night outside due to an envent or encounter...
1) if the tile he was exploring/gathering had a natural shelter does he get a wound ?
2) if the doesnt have food on his sheet. he doesnt eat right ?

C) is there some rules that i might be missing and causing all these losses ..or are we just BAD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is supposedly quite hard so you shouldn't feel bad that you lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joffrey N.
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
christizzz wrote:
Yesterday we played cataways ( 4players ) aaaaaaaaaaaand we lost in the 7th round due to weather..we couldnt afford to give food and wood per missing level... and then we were hungry...
anyway...some additional questions,

A) an event card came out (catastrophe) where it says to put all flipped items in the future ressources box.
1) is the hatchet from the scenario also inactive ?
2) What about the knife ? do i loose the +1 weapon gained previously ?

B)if someone must spend the night outside due to an envent or encounter... 1) if the tile he was exploring/gathering had a natural shelter does he get a wound ?
2) if the doesnt have food on his sheet. he doesnt eat right ?

C) is there some rules that i might be missing and causing all these losses ..or are we just BAD

A) 1) No it remains active (because it's a token effect), as per the Catastrophe card description p35
A) 2) I would say yes, you loose +1 weapon if possible because it is not available. You gain it back when Knife becomes available again.

B) Look on the new rules p21 about "spending night outside of camp", you have everything there : During the Weather Phase, a character outside of camp is not affected by weather effects. Sleeping under an open sky (if there is no natural shelter on the respective Island tile) causes you to suffer 1 wound during the Night Phase. And, naturally, you must eat. If you have no food on your Character sheet, you suffer 2 wounds (see also the Night Phase on page 23).
So
B1) You dont suffer a wound if there is a natural shelter
B2) If no food on sheet, you dont eat !

C) It's possible that some rules are missed here and there, but it is usually not too big of a deal. Just have a good read of the new rulebook at least twice and you should be good to go ! Do not loose hope for Castaways, sometimes rough event cards prevent the winning, but you will eventually find a way...someday arrrh

I see that weather got you on last game, so be sure to have a 3 even 4 level roof before the snow comes ! If you can build the furnace too (you should have enough pawns to do that in 4 player game), then run for it (it can help you spare 1 wood if it snows) ! And since you will mostly hunt for food, use fur to build your shelter/roof/palisade

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
Muemmelmann wrote:
Would like to know an official source anyway. Inho, you are correct. You can not have an "unfulfilled demand" for the half of zero. I can not look it up in my copy, because it's at somebody elses house, but I would like the exact name and wording of the card in question. Chances are, this is an "if possible" card anyway.

La_Gofr wrote:
A) 2) I would say yes, you loose +1 weapon if possible because it is not available. You gain it back when Knife becomes available again.
I would say, no. There is a difference between "unbuilt items", and the temporally unavailability of the cards in this event. If you have to "unbuilt" an item, you have to remove all it's effects, IF POSSIBLE. You loose your knife and have a weapon level -> You loose it. You lost your weapon level on hunt -> Nothing happens. If you would apply this rule to this event, the way you told, it would result in, that you can stay on Level 1, when it occurs, then increase again on Level 1, when you get it back. That's not, how this works.

The German rules clarifies, that you won't loose a token like the shortcut because of that event, and even get the resources of it in that round. I would assume, this goes for any one time effect of a card, not only placing a token. So, weapon levels, non perishable food from the dam, etc. are safe. Pawns, you can use once a round (like the one from the map) and requirements for other inventions (like the knife to built a spear), ect. are not available in this round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.