23.9% of Goal | 30 Days Left

Support:

Dave Gilligan
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/24/exclusive-investi...

First, I'll ask, is the Telegraph considered a legit site? I'm not up on rating UK newspapers for legitimacy.

Quote:
Donald Trump’s presidential campaign is facing a fundraising scandal after a Telegraph investigation exposed how key supporters were prepared to accept illicit donations from foreign backers.

Senior figures involved with the Great America PAC, one of the leading "independent" groups organising television advertisements and grassroots support for the Republican nominee, sought to channel $2 million from a Chinese donor into the campaign to elect the billionaire despite laws prohibiting donations from foreigners.

In return, undercover reporters purporting to represent the fictitious donor were assured that he would obtain “influence” if Mr Trump made it to the White House.

Looks like we have quid and quo although I think it is questionable whether the person involved had any real ability to make such promises of influence with Trump. Based on how the money was going to flow it certainly looked like a way to line his pockets!

Also looks like they threw out bait to both Trump's and Clinton's campaigns, but only the PAC associated (at least at one time) with the Trump campaign took the bait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't look like quid pro quo, its the usual buying of influence. The only story here is the 'do as I say not as I do' angle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Samuraicat wrote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/24/exclusive-investi...

First, I'll ask, is the Telegraph considered a legit site? I'm not up on rating UK newspapers for legitimacy.

Quote:
Donald Trump’s presidential campaign is facing a fundraising scandal after a Telegraph investigation exposed how key supporters were prepared to accept illicit donations from foreign backers.

Senior figures involved with the Great America PAC, one of the leading "independent" groups organising television advertisements and grassroots support for the Republican nominee, sought to channel $2 million from a Chinese donor into the campaign to elect the billionaire despite laws prohibiting donations from foreigners.

In return, undercover reporters purporting to represent the fictitious donor were assured that he would obtain “influence” if Mr Trump made it to the White House.

Looks like we have quid and quo although I think it is questionable whether the person involved had any real ability to make such promises of influence with Trump. Based on how the money was going to flow it certainly looked like a way to line his pockets!

Also looks like they threw out bait to both Trump's and Clinton's campaigns, but only the PAC associated (at least at one time) with the Trump campaign took the bait.

The telegraph is a conservative newspaper. It is owned by the Barclay brothers and can be influenced by them if they think it helps their interests. On a story like this they are probably as good as any British newspaper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are we now tying the PAC's actions to the candidates ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
jeremycobert wrote:
Are we now tying the PAC's actions to the candidates ?
For having/being "disrespective" 'traits'? Seemed redundant... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
It doesn't look like quid pro quo, its the usual buying of influence. The only story here is the 'do as I say not as I do' angle.

It's not Trump's campaign, it's a PAC supporting Trump run by a consultant who previously worked on Ron Paul PAC, with other senior figures who were convicted for campaign finance violations. Mother Jones did an investigation on this PAC back in March. From their account, the links between this PAC and Trump are unclear but nothing indicating closeness or official sanction from Trump's campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
tmcvey wrote:
Shadrach wrote:

It's not Trump's campaign, it's a PAC supporting Trump run by a consultant who previously worked on Ron Paul PAC, with other senior figures who were convicted for campaign finance violations. Mother Jones did an investigation on this PAC back in March. From their account, the links between this PAC and Trump are unclear but nothing indicating closeness or official sanction from Trump's campaign.

Also, if it's true, explicitly promising influence is pretty unusual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
windsagio wrote:

Also, if it's true, explicitly promising influence is pretty unusual.

Gotta close the deal on the grift.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.