$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 117.69

7,136 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
45% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Miniature Madness rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received the game and when it came time to placing the miniatures on their stand, what a hassle! I thought I was finished with buying Super Glue when I gave up buying GW miniatures, but noooo. Even Super Glue didn't work for some miniatures, and I resorted to transparent silicone (which seems to work fine, and is paintable).
FFG makes great games, buy they should stay away from making miniatures or change the company they hire to make them.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
grahamj wrote:
I just received the game and when it came time to placing the miniatures on their stand, what a hassle! I thought I was finished with buying Super Glue when I gave up buying GW miniatures, but noooo. Even Super Glue didn't work for some miniatures, and I resorted to transparent silicone (which seems to work fine, and is paintable).
FFG makes great games, buy they should stay away from making miniatures or change the company they hire to make them.

Wait...you bought the game? I thought it was price prohibitive for you; you stated your displeasure with the price many times in several threads. I'm not trying to be snarky; did something make you break down and get it?
18 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Thomas
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brother Jim wrote:

Wait...you bought the game? I thought it was price prohibitive for you; you stated your displeasure with the price many times in several threads. I'm not trying to be snarky; did something make you break down and get it?


Needed to take it to the next level to unlock new things to complain about
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stay tuned for "The box is too tall to fit on my shelf, FFG sucks at making boxes" and "For $100 the game should come with it's own tablet".
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juha Helin
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's interesting. First edition had also genuinely rubbish miniatures, kind of heavily flashed bendy plastic I thought was already finding it's way out of miniature business about half a century ago. Quite similar to the notorious toy soldier plastic.

Good to know that they continue on same well established design principles.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brother Jim wrote:
grahamj wrote:
I just received the game and when it came time to placing the miniatures on their stand, what a hassle! I thought I was finished with buying Super Glue when I gave up buying GW miniatures, but noooo. Even Super Glue didn't work for some miniatures, and I resorted to transparent silicone (which seems to work fine, and is paintable).
FFG makes great games, buy they should stay away from making miniatures or change the company they hire to make them.

Wait...you bought the game? I thought it was price prohibitive for you; you stated your displeasure with the price many times in several threads. I'm not trying to be snarky; did something make you break down and get it?


You are doing a great job at being snarky, do don't sell yourself short. Besides the game was bought by the gaming group I belong to, and was designated as the one to paint and glue the miniatures.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
grahamj wrote:
Brother Jim wrote:
grahamj wrote:
I just received the game and when it came time to placing the miniatures on their stand, what a hassle! I thought I was finished with buying Super Glue when I gave up buying GW miniatures, but noooo. Even Super Glue didn't work for some miniatures, and I resorted to transparent silicone (which seems to work fine, and is paintable).
FFG makes great games, buy they should stay away from making miniatures or change the company they hire to make them.

Wait...you bought the game? I thought it was price prohibitive for you; you stated your displeasure with the price many times in several threads. I'm not trying to be snarky; did something make you break down and get it?


You are doing a great job at being snarky, do don't sell yourself short. Besides the game was bought by the gaming group I belong to, and was designated as the one to paint and glue the miniatures.

Fair enough; fair point. Well, I hope the gameplay is fun for you. I may just set aside the miniatures myself and play with the monster tiles in little standees I purchased separately. I'd rather just not deal with minis at all. I know it's a draw for many and many weren't wild about the quality; I'm in for the gameplay alone. Different strokes.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a side note. The big bases for this new edition aren't really that useful. I've read enough people's comments to know quite a few are basing them on something smaller. The round clear bases look excellent for the task. I'm going to do that one I think. Just waiting for gumption.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Baptist
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the monster minis are not the typical FFG standard. It's too bad.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was initially disappointed in the minis as well, but they paint up just fine and look spiffy enough on clear bases with a decent paintjob.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank La Terra
Australia
flag msg tools
This is the only game on my shelves where I just don't bother with the minis at all (except for the investigators).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Poor
United States
Dexter
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
TheDarkKnight wrote:
Just a side note. The big bases for this new edition aren't really that useful. I've read enough people's comments to know quite a few are basing them on something smaller. The round clear bases look excellent for the task. I'm going to do that one I think. Just waiting for gumption.


I'm happy with mine. They take up less space on the board/easier to store and I can see the great board art.




Best of all, many of the larger monsters don't need a base!



We just store the monster counter in the slot with the mini, then put it on the table beside the map when the monster mini is drawn.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davide Bellani
Italy
flag msg tools
crispy66 wrote:
TheDarkKnight wrote:
Just a side note. The big bases for this new edition aren't really that useful. I've read enough people's comments to know quite a few are basing them on something smaller. The round clear bases look excellent for the task. I'm going to do that one I think. Just waiting for gumption.


I'm happy with mine. They take up less space on the board/easier to store and I can see the great board art.




Best of all, many of the larger monsters don't need a base!



We just store the monster counter in the slot with the mini, then put it on the table beside the map when the monster mini is drawn.


Nice work with the minis!
I bought the game (italian version) but my box will be delivered this friday (finally).
I like the idea to not use the big black ugly bases and i just want to know how do you do this work on yours. You have to remove some plastic under the minis "feet" (pawns or claw, ecc )? I have no idea how the minis and bases are made, they are always assembled in photos.


(sorry for bad english)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David van Damme
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
FoolJester wrote:

I like the idea to not use the big black ugly bases and i just want to know how do you do this work on yours. You have to remove some plastic under the minis "feet" (pawns or claw, ecc )? I have no idea how the minis and bases are made, they are always assembled in photos.


(sorry for bad english)


Each mini has one or more pins under it's feet which slot (in theory...) in holes in the bases. The plastic is very soft, with an x-acto knife (or similar) cutting the pins of the underside of the mini's is easy.



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Larson
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidvD wrote:
FoolJester wrote:

I like the idea to not use the big black ugly bases and i just want to know how do you do this work on yours. You have to remove some plastic under the minis "feet" (pawns or claw, ecc )? I have no idea how the minis and bases are made, they are always assembled in photos.


(sorry for bad english)


Each mini has one or more pins under it's feet which slot (in theory...) in holes in the bases. The plastic is very soft, with an x-acto knife (or similar) cutting the pins of the underside of the mini's is easy.

Here's a thread I have bookmarked for when I get around to rebasing the minis. Hope it helps.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davide Bellani
Italy
flag msg tools
Thank you! I will try!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.