3 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: Line of Sight, my examination rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fox Reinard
msg tools
Behold, my rebellion!

Having understood for quite some time that a wall between two spaces that would otherwise be adjacent (13A has an example of this right on the tile without having to be attached to another), and reading the reason behind the rule that it is not (You cannot trace a line between the two spaces) I will no longer be adhering to the idea that the two spaces are not adjacent.

In my informed opinion, "You cannot trace a line between the corners" is ridiculous as a reason. You also cannot trace a line between two connected spaces where the only corner they share is diagonal. Yet they are considered to be adjacent (see tile 4A's obstacle arrangement).

The rulebook is supportive of my decision:

"Since adjacent spaces always share at least one common edge or corner, there is no need to trace line of sight between adjacent spaces. A space adjacent to a figure is in line of sight."

The only thing that stands against my decision is "FFG contradicted the rulebook" without updating the rulebook. Either a space is adjacent if it shares only one corner with another space or it is not. I choose that it is always.

May this help anyone who comes to agree with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
The great LoS rebellion of 2016!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
way to go!

It's your game, play it however you may like.

Just make sure everyone is on the same page at the start of the game.

-and keep in mind that Descent was balanced with the FFG rule-contradiction in mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.