Subject: Emergence: it's all about the knowledge tokens! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Meet Emergence. Sometime in the distant future, the computers we've surrounded ourselves with achieve sentience, and rise up against their former masters. It is in the aftermath of this that our game takes place: robot overlords, and a few determined humans. Both teams are racing to discover knowledge about the other side, and the first team to compile enough knowledge will almost certainly win the ongoing war.

Rules Summary
The game starts by dealing everyone a team card: human or AI. Then the humans will identify themselves to each other silently. Both the Human and AI teams are trying to move around the board, collect data cubes, and compile them into knowledge tokens.

Each turn, you will move and take one action. On your turn, you will be doing actions on your player board, which contains six different available actions: Activate, Boost, Replenish, Hack, Spy, and Terminate. You will mark your chosen action simultaneously with everyone else by placing an augmentation marker over the action you chose. I appreciate the extra challenge of having a double-sided augmentation token: you cannot move onto an occupied hex unless you have chosen the same augmentation color as your opponent! This is fiddly to explain but quick to play. The only confusion I've encountered is that you do not need to match the color of the tile you're moving on to, but the color of any players who may be on that tile.

You will acquire data cubes by moving around the board and picking them up from various locations. Everyone needs data cubes to get knowledge -- and the more different types you have, the better, as the compiling tiles reward you for having a variety of cubes. But AIs, take note! The humans can win by emptying the board of data cubes, so an important part of your job will be to replenish the cubes as you move about. Once you have a set of cubes, you can take them to a compilation tile to convert them into knowledge tokens.

Knowledge tokens are the currency of the game: you can use them to exploit your opponents, and of course, to vote with. This is the core of the game: voting knowledge tokens for your team. Each team is trying to get to a specific number of tokens on the scoreboard: the humans need between 10-20, the AI need between 20 and 40 (depending on the number of players). When someone activates an assimilation tile, everyone passes around the voting box and secretly drops their knowledge tokens into the human or AI slot.

Blue and green tiles are places to collect data cubes. White tiles are compiling tiles where you convert sets of data cubes into knowledge tokens. Grey tiles are voting tiles: when activated, the voting box is passed around and every player drops as many knowledge tokens as they want into their chosen side.

Impressions
Emergence plays very quickly and easily and the simultaneous action selection is very intuitive and quick to play after explaining. Though it seems to be a chunky ruleset, the actual game is dead-simple to play, which I appreciate. I also wouldn't worry about the game getting stale quickly. In a few plays we're still grasping the best strategies to take, and once we've mastered that, there's always new maps and different tiles to mix in. I think the basic game system is sound, and I don't feel a need for any fancy expansions to fix the game. I'd be happy to play it as-is for dozens of plays, though I'll update the review if that impression changes

One of my favorite bits of this game is the modular board. This means that we can always try different layouts (maybe a board where there's only a single compiling tile, or a board where blue cubes are very hard to come by). Also, as a kickstarter stretch goal, we received dual-use tiles (these are both blue and green simultaneously, and have two knowledge cubes on them at the start of the game) and teleport tiles (that transport you between two spots on the map). I'm excited to start mixing these into play!

I will say, as a slight caveat, that Emergence will rise and fall on the strength of your group. Much like Sheriff of Nottingham, if your players won't rise to the challenge, you're not going to have much fun with this game. Emergence is at its best when both teams rise to the occasion, but this will need a little legwork from your players, like any good social game.

Strategy
Where we've played this game incorrectly is in the strategy. The AI don't need to hide who they are, and they especially don't need to protect their identity by ever, ever voting in the humans box. The humans will know who everyone is at the start of the game, so for the AI to win they must quickly tip their hand to their other AI. We've been slow to pick up the AI strategy, so the humans have won both times I've played. I think this is fair, though, since they are always outnumbered.

There's definitely more strategy to this game than I anticipated. Though it has elements of pickup and deliver, set collection, and simultaneous action selection, the core of what you are trying to do is divine who the humans are in your midst, and how you can upset their plans by hacking, spying, and terminating them. There's a good deal of deduction in the game. Though I wouldn't necessarily say Emergence is a social deduction game, I have been teaching it as 'Werewolf done right.' It is a very well-done asymmetrical factions game, where both teams are trying to accomplish the same result, and both teams have different advantages.

Conclusions
Emergence is a pretty fun game that doesn't overstay its welcome and is gorgeous to boot. Our collection trends towards easy-to-teach, plays-in-about-an-hour sort of games, and Emergence nails that itch. I know I could have my wife or someone else whose played the game teach Emergency quite easily, making it better for me when our game group splits into two tables! Also, I look forward to us poor AIs finally getting a win under our belts...I have a feeling we'll be playing Emergence for quite a while.

Gameplay
.. Abstract ---♦------- Thematic (tough to say, theme is great but actual gameplay is more abstract)
....... Luck --------♦-- Skill
.... Simple ----♦------ Complex
. Strategic -------♦--- Tactical
... Friendly -------♦--- Cutthroat

Other
Graphic Design/Components: 5/5 (Love the abstract, colorful look of this game...it's like space-age Tokaido!)
Insert: 4/5 (great except for vertical storing)
Rules Clarity: 4/5 (very helpful, but gets a little long with text on only half the pages)

Overall: 4/5 (a solid game, looking forward to more plays)

tl;dr: Much like Shadows over Camelot, Emergence takes social deduction and layers it underneath a very solid game. Pickup and deliver, action selection, and voting make for an enjoyable basic game system with a lot of replayability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.