$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 79.34

5,340 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
33.7% of Goal | 27 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Cry Havoc» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Playing Enable Scoring rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Lessard
Canada
Sherbrooke
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just played once a 3 players games so far...

But we were not sure to understand the advantages of wasting one action to play scoring unless you have 7-8 points advantages over opponents.

Let say Pilgrim will never play that since they concentrate on using there abilities to make points.

If you're behind the leader in controled crystals, you won't do that.

That leave only the leader in controled territories and crystal to play it and because you won't be able to play more than 2 times in a games... it seem more important to concentrate dominating the map and counter the extractor combo of the pilgrim...

Is there something I did'nt understand?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gordy
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lezard wrote:
I just played once a 3 players games so far...

But we were not sure to understand the advantages of wasting one action to play scoring unless you have 7-8 points advantages over opponents.

Let say Pilgrim will never play that since they concentrate on using there abilities to make points.

If you're behind the leader in controled crystals, you won't do that.

That leave only the leader in controled territories and crystal to play it and because you won't be able to play more than 2 times in a games... it seem more important to concentrate dominating the map and counter the extractor combo of the pilgrim...

Is there something I did'nt understand?


The player that enables scoring for the round gets the benefit of scoring for those regions he controls, ON-TOP of scoring for crystals. No one else gets this benefit in scoring, thus if a player controls 5 regions, that is five points he would get prior to even completing the crystal scoring for EVERYONE.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lessard
Canada
Sherbrooke
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I understand that.

But let say that scoring region and crystal give me 4 points over the second in crystal...

does it worth using an action to do that?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lezard wrote:
I understand that.

But let say that scoring region and crystal give me 4 points over the second in crystal...

does it worth using an action to do that?


Yes. The goal of the game is to score victory points.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T McC
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
There can also be an advantage in enabling it in order to block someone else from potentially doing so.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goo It can be used in combination with your place in the turn order and your other actions in the same turn to suddenly lock down the enemy and/or score points unexpectedly. You should be considering all three actions in combination.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Lezard wrote:
I understand that.

But let say that scoring region and crystal give me 4 points over the second in crystal...

does it worth using an action to do that?

The biggest advantage is tactical and situation dependant. Let's say I capture a territory with a lot of crystals from my opponent, I'm not sure I'll be able to keep to, but if I score it now, even if I lose it the next turn, I'll be better off at the end. Also in very close games, getting points for the number of territories can be huge.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
borsook wrote:
Lezard wrote:
I understand that.

But let say that scoring region and crystal give me 4 points over the second in crystal...

does it worth using an action to do that?

The biggest advantage is tactical and situation dependant. Let's say I capture a territory with a lot of crystals from my opponent, I'm not sure I'll be able to keep to, but if I score it now, even if I lose it the next turn, I'll be better off at the end. Also in very close games, getting points for the number of territories can be huge.


Just to be clear, you don't score immediately when you play the enable scoring card, scoring is done at the end of the round not when the card is played, so you may loose territories and crystals.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X Shrike
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Humans seem to benefit the most from enable scoring. They can rapidly expand and claim territory with Trog tokens. On top of that their default skill lets them immediately score for territory control. If a Human player plays it right they can essentially score double points for territory.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
XShrike wrote:
Humans seem to benefit the most from enable scoring. They can rapidly expand and claim territory with Trog tokens. On top of that their default skill lets them immediately score for territory control. If a Human player plays it right they can essentially score double points for territory.


It's a good reason to break their rhythm and claim it first.

Also, remember: time spent Enabling scoring is not spent doing all the other things they need to do to win battles. Capitalize.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oak Wolf
msg tools
This can't be emphasized enough.

Enable scoring is not free, in fact it's one of the most difficult decision to make in the game for all factions. Humans may seem to benefit the most from it, but only if they've spent tons of build actions to play with airfields. In that case, i've noticed it leaves their regions weakly defended. There's nothing more satisfying for a machine player than to run amok into human territories with little else than 1 troop for defense and no tactic cards to affect the battle. We saw the "domino" effect last time, pretty impressive.

Lastly, their default skill is not free either. It cost one card each time. Once is not much, but if they plan to do it often, it's another factor reducing the strenght/flexibility of their army.

In 4p games, i would venture that it's trogs who want to enable scoring the most, simply due to their ability to capture land and the fact they score much less points with crystals. Is that so?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sybaris wrote:
This can't be emphasized enough.

Enable scoring is not free, in fact it's one of the most difficult decision to make in the game for all factions. Humans may seem to benefit the most from it, but only if they've spent tons of build actions to play with airfields. In that case, i've noticed it leaves their regions weakly defended. There's nothing more satisfying for a machine player than to run amok into human territories with little else than 1 troop for defense and no tactic cards to affect the battle. We saw the "domino" effect last time, pretty impressive.

Lastly, their default skill is not free either. It cost one card each time. Once is not much, but if they plan to do it often, it's another factor reducing the strenght/flexibility of their army.

In 4p games, i would venture that it's trogs who want to enable scoring the most, simply due to their ability to capture land and the fact they score much less points with crystals. Is that so?


Trogs should try to enable scoring in the first two rounds, as that's when it benefits them the most. TYPICALLY. By the end of the game, the 1/2 point penalty hurts, so if they still cover a lot of territory, they can enable to offset this with the territory control bonus.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Stockburn
United Kingdom
Burnley
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too have played three player games. I realised that the humans (and Trogs in four) have a big advantage in playing an early scoring token for those extra territory points in the first two rounds. I played the scoring token as pilgrims as my first action in the first two rounds, to counter the humans.

In our game the humans had great board presence but very little gem hoard. The machines had very little board presence and very little gem hoard. I had little board presence but had teleported out to the middle to sit on all those gems. I used my extractor to seed my few territories with even more gems. I had to keep a buffer between my now really desirable territories and the machines and humans, but for two rounds I scored big this way triggering the end game scoring.

I wasn't playing an optimum strategy for pilgrims by doing it this way but I was definitely denying the humans massive amounts of points.

In the end it came down to a power struggle between Pilgrims and Machines, machines won and I came second. Humans came third though.


Note: If we had not played with objectives (which favour the territory holding races) I would have won.

Very good game though.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.