Subject: Asylum completed - which scenario next? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco Marsan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Dear gamers,

I recently completed Asylum with my 11 year-old and we both really enjoyed it. What we both really rate is the "AHA" moment that follows from a well thought-out puzzle - as was the case in Asylum. In other words I think we both care more for the abstract puzzle-solving aspect over any other gaming aspect of TS.

I've read a lot of different opinions as to how the other scenarios rate in comparison - clearly there is little agreement here and it's a matter of taste. But with the above preferences in mind, can anyone suggest which scenario should be next on our list? Do all games have this puzzle element equally, or do some have it more than others? What's the difficulty level re the other scenarios in this regard?

(I appreciate that there is some "meta game" element to doing them in order, but if I've understood correctly this is not essential.)

Many thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hate to disappoint you but none of the other scenarios even come close to matching the puzzle that was built into Asylum.

That being said, the whole point of the Marcy case is to puzzle out which Marcy is the "correct one" so I would suggest Marcy next.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fluss Burrito
Germany
NW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck, getting any expansions, I have 3 canceled orders of time stories expansions now (ger).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Valencia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played the third expansion yet. Marcy Case and Prophecy of Dragons both focus MUCH more on combat. I like Prophecy of Dragons better because it is overflowing with clever ideas (not necessarily puzzles, but new ways to use and interact with the cards). Marcy arguably has a better puzzle but I didn't like the scenario as much in general. The art in Prophecy is gorgeous.

I have read that Pharaoh is more puzzley and less gamey, but as I said, I haven't played it.

Also, I would recommend playing in order due to the metastory element.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold Jakubowski
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marcy Case is less puzzle-focused. There is one big puzzle here, but it's more of a deduction thing. Sort of. The scenario itself is more about exploration and danger.

Prophecy of Dragons is somewhere in between Asylum and Marcy, at least puzzle-wise. It's the biggest and most complex scenario yet, and it gives these "AHA" moments, although puzzles are a bit flat.

Under the Mask gives you the Indiana Jones mystery vibe with both exploartions and puzzles, but there is nothing as deep as pentagram puzzle from Asylum. The whole scenario is a big puzzle from the mechanical point in a way (but it's hard to tell without spoilers).

I suggest trying Under the Mask or Prophecy of Dragons, but only if you are sure you won't play every scenario (in other case play them in release order).

Mind that there is a vague main plot that moves from scenario to scenario. Playig one out of the original order might present you with some characters, events and references you might just not get. Those are not very important (not important at all when it comes to solving puzzles) and you can still end the scenario and enjoy it, but the experience of the game is whole when playing in order, on the count of immersion and plot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobi Wagner
Germany
Ludwigsburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should get "Switching Gears"! The fan-made scenario can be found here. It is very close to "Asylum" concerning gameplay and puzzles. You have to print it yourself and you should avoid looking at the cards' backsides when cutting the scenario. We had a very good time with this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph Pearce
United States
Warren
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the recommendation, Mr. Wagner.

My game group just played Escape the Room: Mystery at the Stargazer's Manor. It's mostly puzzles. It was a little on the light side for the 6 of us (a couple people in my group are pretty experienced puzzle-solvers), but even so, we still had a great time. It might be perfect for you and your son.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobi Wagner
Germany
Ludwigsburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stephaniepa wrote:
Thank you for the recommendation, Mr. Wagner.

You're welcome. Honor to whom honor is due, Mrs. Pearce.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carighan Maconar
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FlussBurrito wrote:
Good luck, getting any expansions, I have 3 canceled orders of time stories expansions now (ger).

Are they that difficult to acquire? I might just get the english expansions then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArcanumTL ArcanumTL
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would echo some of the other comments regarding the "puzzle" quality where Asylum was the best. Yet, I would say Marcy and Dragons plays quite a bit differently. The feel and environment is different which made it fun as well. Our group hasn't gotten to the Mask yet but we are looking forward to it. For us, we loved the deck mechanism so much we are going to play through all of them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.