$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 70.92

4,904 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
30.9% of Goal | 28 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Rex: Final Days of an Empire» Forums » General

Subject: Questions of Lore rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
kripto sporidium
msg tools
So my group has quickly become very fond of this game, to where we often find ourselves talking about it even outside of game night. During those conversations, we've raised a few questions regarding the story/universe that we've not seen answered elsewhere. So I ask these here, in the hopes that someone more well versed in the TI universe might be able to enlighten us.

Our questions are as follows :

1. Why is the Galactic Council "holy ground"? From our understanding the situation on Mecatol Rex has escalated into all-out war, so why is it that military units within the Galactic Council will peacefully coexist, with no aggressive action possible within? Going by the short story, at least, Sol is clearly not above committing atrocities on civilians.

2. Most alliances on the board make sense, but is there any way to justify how the Lazax, the dudes who are getting their capital city horrifically destroyed by the Sol Federation, would even consider allying themselves with the Sol in the very battle where that is happening?

3. Does the Xxcha special victory have any storyline explanation? Does the (apparently indestructible) Galactic Council hold the sacred act of "Calling It" in higher regard than all other military acts when it comes to deciding who won a war?

Thanks in advance for any answers you got, know that you'll be solving many minor disagreements
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
kriptosporidium wrote:
1. Why is the Galactic Council "holy ground"? From our understanding the situation on Mecatol Rex has escalated into all-out war, so why is it that military units within the Galactic Council will peacefully coexist, with no aggressive action possible within? Going by the short story, at least, Sol is clearly not above committing atrocities on civilians.

The war was mostly against the Lazax, though there was obviously fighting between each other. Perhaps in the council itself, they still try to maintain SOME semblance of "galactic order" and diplomacy (even if it's just a token effort)

Quote:
2. Most alliances on the board make sense, but is there any way to justify how the Lazax, the dudes who are getting their capital city horrifically destroyed by the Sol Federation, would even consider allying themselves with the Sol in the very battle where that is happening?

I'm sure I could think of something on this one But yeah, it is weird.

Quote:
3. Does the Xxcha special victory have any storyline explanation? Does the (apparently indestructible) Galactic Council hold the sacred act of "Calling It" in higher regard than all other military acts when it comes to deciding who won a war?

The Xxcha are first and foremost "diplomats", and their victory doesn't represent foresight as much as an abstraction of their diplomatic ability to be pulling the strings behind the scenes. IE, if they get their victory, it represents the fact that while on the surface another faction is "victorious", THEY are the ones really controlling things. The prediction can represent their overarching threads and goals, ties to the factions leaders at just the right time, etc.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm mostly saddened by Rex's retcon of the Sardak N'oir out of the invasion of Mecatol Rex. Their combat focus may not have translated well into any of the existing Dune archetypes when reskinning the game, but this could have been an opportunity to flesh out the N'oir with more flavor or background.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.