Subject: Silent "C"? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have heard dozens of people, over the years, pronounce this word incorrectly:

Anticlimactic

the interweb wrote:
Anticlimactic is defined as anything connected with turning out to be far less meaningful or exciting than was hoped.
An example of something anticlimactic is a toy a child finally gets after seeing it on TV, but in real life it doesn't do all the cool things it does on the commercial.

Just this morning, in a radio sports interview, the fellow said that the game was anticlimatic. As opposed to climatic?
What the hell are you talking about-- are you against the climate?

Poll
Do you pronounce the 2nd "C" in the word anticlimactic?
Yes, of course
I honestly thought it was anticlimatic...
No, because anticlimatic is a valid pronunciation
      108 answers
Poll created by MABBY
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted "yes" as I do pronounce it, but I think it's probably along the same lines as those who don't pronounce the first "r" in February, or pronouncing "nuclear" as "noo-kyuh-lur".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Frankly, I pronounce "climactic" as "climb-attic" as well, so at least I'm consistent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's pronounced throat-wobbler mangrove.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
I voted "yes" as I do pronounce it, but I think it's probably along the same lines as those who don't pronounce the first "r" in February, or pronouncing "nuclear" as "noo-kyuh-lur".

Or the first T in statistics-- I've heard people call them satistics.

(Loved the Simpsons clip!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sklar
Canada
Dollard-des-Ormeaux
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.C.
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
There Is No Shelter From The Storm
mbmbmbmbmb
Victuals has a silent C. A silent U. And arguably a silent A. The word could just be Vitls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Failing upwards... ever faster!
United States
Bridgeton
Missouri
flag msg tools
b a n j o wrote:
Victuals has a silent C. A silent U. And arguably a silent A. The word could just be Vitls.

Wait... that's pronounced the same as "vittles"? Like 'Tender Vittles'?

I know I've heard 'Morning Victuals' with every letter pronounced. Is this a regional thing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
For the first time in 108 years, the Cubs are world champions! Incredible game 7 victory over a valiant Cleveland team.
mbmbmbmbmb
In my 60 years upon this earth, I have never heard anyone pronounce the second C in anticlimactic. Nor have I ever heard anyone use the word "climatic" to refer to the climate. In fact, there's a very good chance I've spelled the first word "anticlimatic". That spelling is clearly in error, but I question whether the pronunciation is.

I think it's very much like pronouncing "when" as "wen", rather than the technically correct "hwen". Or saying "Feb-yoo-ary" instead of "Feb-roo-ary", which everyone does. (On the other hand, saying "noo-kyuh-lar" instead of nuclear is just wrong, or at the very least, a regional thing, like saying "warsh" instead of "wash". And I've never heard anyone say "satistics"!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cagey McCageface
United States
Clawson
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
b a n j o wrote:

What?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
For the first time in 108 years, the Cubs are world champions! Incredible game 7 victory over a valiant Cleveland team.
mbmbmbmbmb
jmayDET wrote:
b a n j o wrote:

What?!

Yeah, I think it's like when Elly Mae on The Beverly Hillbillies talked about "vittles", she was using a word that is properly spelled victuals. The base word is Latin, but I have no idea how the pronunciation got altered so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
b a n j o wrote:

Isn't that like saying "Potato has a silent P, two silent O's and an invisible R?"

"Today's victuals are chitterlings, with a side of greens."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
These would be the same people who elide the first c in Antarctica, would they?

Pity them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
"Do you pronounce the 2nd "C" in the word anticlimactic?"

Yes. However, I do not pronounce the first "C".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Regional pronunciations can make for all sorts of interesting miscommunication. For instance, I had a buddy who was teaching college in Southern Ohio and he had a student from Kentucky who wrote something to the effect of:

That's when we realized we were too close to the far.

Of course, he was phonetically spelling the word "fire" the way he said it.

I also once spent a couple minutes trying to puzzle out what a student meant by wanting to have "sham pain." (He meant champagne.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cagey McCageface
United States
Clawson
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about the t in exactly? There's a podcast I listen to where one of the guys pronounces it explicitly. It's kind of hard to make your mouth do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmayDET wrote:
b a n j o wrote:

What?!

Hs syng y dn't nd vwls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jbrecken wrote:
"Today's victuals are chitterlings, with a side of greens."

I think I saw the boatswain eating them on the forecastle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cagey McCageface
United States
Clawson
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomsword wrote:
jmayDET wrote:
b a n j o wrote:

What?!

Hs syng y dn't nd vwls.

Yeah that part I got. What blew my mind was that victuals is pronounced vittles and not vik-chew-ulls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Based upon my poor understanding of history, science, and ethics...
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
You know what really bugs me?

Well I'll tell you. Think I've mentioned this before, but I can't complain enough. It makes my ears itch.

There is a radio commercial for a mortgage company. In that commercial they say "homeowners" several times. EXCEPT they say homo-ners.

No. It is Home slight pause owner, not homo slight pause ners.

Thank you for listening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.C.
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
There Is No Shelter From The Storm
mbmbmbmbmb
From the Oxford English Dictionary:

Victual

Origin
Middle English: from Old French vitaille, from late Latin victualia, neuter plural of Latin victualis, from victus food; related to vivere to live. The pronunciation still represents the early spelling vittel; later spelling has been influenced by the Latin form.

Here is the link with the audio:

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/victual
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
dreadpirate wrote:
b a n j o wrote:

Wait... that's pronounced the same as "vittles"? Like 'Tender Vittles'?

I know I've heard 'Morning Victuals' with every letter pronounced. Is this a regional thing?

That IS "vittles" (properly "vittel"). An odd one. Late latin added a c to the original latin; English took it on, but then dropped it again.

So we are left with victual pronounced vittel. Oh the joys of languages that are old and promiscuous

-edit- and I should have read the rest of the thread

But I would like to stress that "anticlimatic", missing the c, is very, very wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Oliver
United States
Argyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
In my 60 years upon this earth, I have never heard anyone pronounce the second C in anticlimactic. Nor have I ever heard anyone use the word "climatic" to refer to the climate. In fact, there's a very good chance I've spelled the first word "anticlimatic". That spelling is clearly in error, but I question whether the pronunciation is.

I think it's very much like pronouncing "when" as "wen", rather than the technically correct "hwen". Or saying "Feb-yoo-ary" instead of "Feb-roo-ary", which everyone does. (On the other hand, saying "noo-kyuh-lar" instead of nuclear is just wrong, or at the very least, a regional thing, like saying "warsh" instead of "wash". And I've never heard anyone say "satistics"!)

I say feb-roo-ary.

To be fair, though, I used to have a speech issue when I was very young, and spent time in speech therapy, and I concentrate very hard on enunciation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
I blame Dogbert.

Now I'm wondering just how many people never got the joke in that strip... Probably at least 4 if I go by the poll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Finch
United Kingdom
BERKSHIRE
flag msg tools
Rule changes for tonight's game:-
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, this thread is a bit of a let down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.