Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evan Duly
Canada
Langley
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
For people who have played with the different player counts, and most specifically with the 5th player added in the expansion, what do you prefer?

Is there a clear preference for 4 players over 5 or the other way around?

How would you describe the feel of the game at those different player counts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn B
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've logged 32 plays of Edo at all player counts: 2, 3, 4 & 5. I've always been a huge fan of this game and I think it scales quite well.

The 3, 4 and 5 player games all feel very similar to me. The adjustments made to the board do what they are supposed to do: they make the game scale well to the player count. I know you asked about how the games feel different, but I don't think they do feel different.

Perhaps the only thing that doesn't scale is buying the extra authorization tiles. There are 3 2x cards, so in a 4 and 5 player game some players can be locked out of any chance of getting a 2x card. (I personally think the 2x cards are disruptive and/or overpowered anyway so I usually ask to leave them out.)

Also the pieces for the 5th player do not come in the base game and when you play with a 5th player, the game may take a bit longer - but not by much. Most of the downtime is while everyone is simultaneously planning their actions.

Finally, for my wife & I, the 2-player game was not great - even with the expansion. At 2-players, there is only 1 of each production area so players can easily block each other out of getting 3 resources. This is surprisingly punishing and incentivizes denial strategies in a way we did not like. (As a variant, we've played 2-player games with both areas open and found the game to be more interesting. In this case, when you are blocked, you have a choice: get fewer resources, or travel further at great expense to get those 3 resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Duly
Canada
Langley
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you for your interesting thoughts on the game. I feel like it is quite a clever game with a short play time that seems to be somewhat under rated.

I haven't played it enough to have experienced what you mention regarding the X2 tiles but I will have a look at them. As you say, it is easy enough to just remove them if they seem unbalanced at higher player counts.

As to my main question, it is helpful to know that the "feeling" of the game doesn't change much with different player counts.

However, what I am most interested in is if there is any added enjoyment or benefit to the game play with added players. Some games, such as El Grande or Princes of Florence, have quite a noticeable added gameplay benefit with the full player count.

Would you say this game is similar or that at any player count (aside from 2) the game is good?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeffery macguinness
msg tools
I think that as player count ramps up in EDO, so does the competitiveness. Even though the map scales to player count, when there's five players it feels like there's more jostling around for resources and city control - and more surprises. You have to be just a little more creative and nimble, and responsive to what other players are plotting.

Granted, I don't think the difference is of the same magnitude as El Grande ... but the best games of EDO are with five players, in my opinion.

BTW, I like the temples option, too. Opens things up a lot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.