BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: 4x Space game. Looking for some opinions and ideas! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jordan Williams
Gibraltar
flag msg tools
Hello BGG’ers!

My name is Jordan and I want to get my game (or at least, what exists of it) out there to get people’s opinions (Please give me feedback! Constructive if possible ). I find knowing what the player wants, likes and dislikes often helps in getting them to play your game (Am I stating the obvious?)!

I would write about the history of where the idea came from and how long its been in the process of planning (2 Years) but heck, you don’t want to read that do you, you’re here to read what the game is about! So as my first time ever publishing a thread here in BGG here goes nothing:

The name of the game with a claim to fame (I apologise for Cheesiness) is ‘Dawn of a New Hope’, and is based in a Sci-Fi/Fantasy Universe Which I give the name of ‘Age of Ironwill’. Even though the idea of this game has been in my mind or in the ‘air’ for quite some time, it is now that the cogs are turning, ‘The board is set, the pieces are moving. We come to it at last...The great battle of our time.’ (LOTR quote )

I would compare ‘Dawn of a New Hope’ to TWILIGHT IMPERIUM, or even RISK. A 4X type space game put simply. The game board (which is in progress) would be a small part of the New Hope Galaxy and separated into sections very much like RISKs countries. The game is intended for 2-6 players and whilst the first parts of the game would have you expand, explore, grow, trade, seek alliances and research new technologies, the second part (Once all the races playing are revealed) would have you pit your fleets against each other in total war for domination of the stars, enter into political conflicts with your fellow players, stab one another in the back and also verbally abuse one another and/or give/receive death threats.

The game would be played as follows:

Phases - Game is played in Rounds, each round has phases, after each player has played all phases the round begins again
1.Action Phase - Each player can take 2 actions each turn till no more actions can or wish to be made, these can be:
Research technologies, build stations & ships, recruit Armies, move fleets (depends on fleet range) can move till Fleet points are used (Random event Card Picked out if travelling to unexplored zone), Initiate Trade or Diplomacy with known playing races (Need to use Trade ships or Diplomatic ships). Initiate War or battles, Retreat from active battles (if possible). Raid Trade ships & Capture Diplomatic Fleets carrying messages that you wish other players to read, these may be trade requests, pacts, treaties, strategies against other players, or even insults.

2. Reveal action cards players have placed face down in activation pool & play out consequences. 2 cards can be played by each player.

3. Political Cards and economy cards used & consequences played out.

4. Play out battles.

5. Receive Resources from planets, mining, trade, Raiding & Vassalization. Completion of researches at start of new Round. Repairs competed at start of new round.

My idea is to create game mechanics in order to make as simple and quick or complex and endless as the players wish the game to be whilst also making the game reliant on your strategic/tactical skill. One mechanic so to say is the way to play out the battles in which the players enter, either via a quick card battle game (WIP), (simple), or even playing out the battles with the miniatures line (Complex).

There will be 10 races to begin with, each with their own Tech-Trees, race-specific ships, pros & cons. So each race in essence has a different playing style in order to satiate the replayability need! some would require more aggressive playstyles and others more defensive.

Each player picks a race at random and then starts in a random home-system. The player will then begin their journey in this galaxy. The goal is to wipe out the other players in the game, 1 player or 2 players may achieve this by forming an alliance if they so wish.
Players will then start off by expanding their empires reach to the nearby star-systems, terraforming and colonizing these which in turn give the player resources at the end of every round.
I plan on making research key mechanic in the game and not just something that gives you 'boosts' etc. By that I mean being able to unlock better ships in the game (Maybe even better weapons), even being able to build stations such as a diplomatic station or a mining station, or even a science station, these in turn give the player big benefits, such as being able to research more techs at the same time, receiving Diplomatic influence to then use with the political cards, and also being able to extract more resources from the planets.

I know this is a very ‘meagre’ report describing what my game would be like, but again, as I said at the beginning of this thread I want people’s opinion on my idea for the game, and ideas to add in general.

Things already made

All races, Looks and Lore

Ship Classification;
*Fighters, Bombers, Heavy Fighters
*Corvettes, Assault Shuttles, Hunters (Long Range), Frigate, Heavy Assault Shuttle.
*Cruisers, Light Cruisers, Destroyers
*Battleships, Carriers

Game history and background

Basic Game Mechanic ideas & Rules

Currently working on

Ship Card Designs, Action Cards, Political Cards, Planet Cards

‘DoaNH’ Campaign Map/Game Board (Nearing Completion)

3D Miniature Designs

Tech-Trees for each race

For Future

RPG style Rulebook

Thank you for reading this thread! Please give me your ideas and thoughts on what I’ve done thus

far & please remember that this is a WIP!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Williams
Gibraltar
flag msg tools
Re: Looking for some opinions and ideas!
Anyone have any thoughts on my ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
I'm a bit scared to be honest. But, that might be because I didn't understand your post correctly. Has the game already passed the play-testing phases and now you are doing artwork and preparing to publish, or have you (God have mercy on your soul) done all that work not knowing is the game good or not?

Because, as I read your 'what do you think about my idea' question, and also the list of things already done, it looks like it has passed the 'idea phase' long time ago, and it's in the finishing phases actually. It's a bit obscure. You are talking like you are still in the process of refining the idea, but you have most of the components already designed?

Why is it scary? Well, one night on the Tabletops Simulator chat one guy was looking for beta-testers for his game based on DOTA 2. I was surprised entering his room to see the finished and complete game with all the components having artwork, tokens, boards, all have been finished and done pretty good. Game was a finished product on par with professionally made games from big companies. He told me he was working on it for 9 months.
But, I was his first player!!!! He never tested it before!

We started playing, and oh, boy... It was a mechanical mess! Boring, fiddly, over-complex, with game-braking flaws in the design. As we played together he also could see how bad the game was. His voice has changed and I could feel how much his heart had sunk. I think he was crying after he closed the room. I was really sorry for him. For some reason it got me, and I was thinking about him for few days. How much quality work and time he had spent on that game, and how much it must be hard for him when he saw that it was all for nothing...

Well, I'm getting the same vibe after reading your post, since it sounds like you have done much of work already, but you are not sure if your game is working or not. That 'WIP' part confused me, because you also say you are working on graphic design. Is it just 'basic' design or are you going toward the prototype look?...

You said you are still balancing stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
southern AB
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I got from your post is "epic space war game" and "the players can select a level of complexity." But that's *all* I got. How does it actually work? i.e. what sorts of mechanics does it use? How long does it take? Is this a campaign game, a single session, both?

For example, you mentioned a similarity to Warhammer. In what ways is it similar? Like, does it also have the customizable miniatures? The concept that the miniature's look actually determines what rules it follows (glue on a chainsaw and it uses a chainsaw; glue on 2 guns and it uses 2 guns etc.)? Or is it the combat system that's similar? Do you need to build terrain for it to be fun (e.g. asteroids for your spaceships to hide behind or whatever)? etc. etc. etc.

What about the other aspects of your game? What are they like? How do they work?

And don't post the rulebook, cause ain't nobody got time for that. Do you have, like, a 30-second elevator pitch describing the game? A 100-words-or-less summary?

How much playtesting have you done? What aspects are working well? What aspects are you struggling with? If you want feedback, we need something to comment on. More than just "IT'S GOING TO BE SO AWESOME LOOK AT ALL THE STUFF IT HAS IN IT."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Williams
Gibraltar
flag msg tools
Hi! Firstly thanks for taking your time to respond to this thread. Reading your comment and the other comment by geerhead on the thread I realise I should change the wording on a few things on the post. Maybe I have over-complicated myself in the manner of explanation.

What I do have completed is the 'grand scale' theme, or idea behind it. This is all based on a book that I had planned out but never got down to writing it as a whole, so yes the races, what they look like and should play like are all done for example. The lore behind it all is also there thanks to the book etc.

This game isn't in a playtesting phase, as i'm still working out the core mechanics. The 'Core' so to say is there yes. I believe I have confused people by the way I have written out my thread with the 3D miniatures and the board game itself. You see, there will be a set of rules for the Miniatures very much in the way Warhammer or Infinity have their rules, for a Table-top Wargame. The miniatures may or may not be used together with the game but are not part of the board game so to say. So I apologize for that confusion, i will change that ASAP in my thread.

As for the board game itself what I have worked out is I want this game to be for 2-6 players. Players will pick at random a race which will each have their own Tech trees, race specific ships and troops making the game and their objectives or playstyle different. Then Each player will take 2 actions each (Researching, building, moving, trading, raiding etc) till they cannot or do not want to make anymore moves. Once that 'phase' is complete you would move onto the second phase which would revolve around certain Action cards that each player collects (at the end of every round) that can have positive or negative outcomes or consequences, Positive might be things like extra resources or movements or even possibilities to halt an uprising. Negative ones might be damage to your ships, uprisings, etc (I am working on what these cards will be and what they will affect). After this then players enter a political 'phase' where players can affect certain laws of the game and vote on laws passed down on cards that the players play out using their political influence (Gained via different aspects in the game whilst playing).
The 4th phase is the battle phase which would involve players playing a quick card game with 7 cards each that they choose from the ships that are in their battling fleet. These cards represent ships and have different attributes which I am currently working out. The players then fight and destroy or capture each others ships.

Phase 5 is the end of the round which means that the players receive the resources they use to build things and purchase/research techs from the planets they own as well as pick an action card.

Some other things I plan on adding make use of Diplomatic ships in order to be able to pass messages on to the other players etc

I hope this explains a little more about the game! Please do not hesitate on asking more things!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Williams
Gibraltar
flag msg tools
Hi, thanks for responding to my thread and giving your opinion. I apologize for my Noobness! I understand that I need to make changes to the thread post so I don't confuse anyone! haha.
As for what you have said, in the response I gave to 8Oj4N who posted just before you has some of what you've asked.
In my excitement to share this I might have ended up confusing people, The miniatures will be one thing, and the board game another thing. So I will remove the part about the miniatures although you can use them for this board game if you so wish.
The board game depending on the complexity that you use will either be a one session playthrough or a campaign which can take several playthroughs.
As for the summary you asked for I had some notes for myself about it I'll just copy them onto this:

Phases - Game is played in Rounds, each round has phases, after each player has played all phases the round begins again
1.Action Phase - Each player can take 2 actions each turn till no more actions can or wish to be made, these can be:
Research technologies, build stations & ships, recruit Armies, move fleets (depends on fleet range) can move till Fleet points are used (Random event Card Picked out if traveling to unexplored zone), Initiate Trade or Diplomacy with known playing races (Need to use Trade ships or Diplomatic ships). Initiate War or battles, Retreat from active battles (if possible). Raid Trade ships & Capture Diplomatic Fleets carrying messages.

2. Reveal action cards players have placed face down in activation pool & play out consequences. 2 cards can be played by each player.

3. Political Cards and economy cards used & consequences played out.

4. Play out battles.

5. Receive Resources from planets, mining, trade, Raiding & Vassalization. Completion of researches at start of new Round. Repairs competed at start of new round.

As for the battles Players choose 7 cards out of his Fleet Deck (from ships built in current fleet) to fight it out against the opponents 7 cards. Player can use Ability cards or 'supply cards' that he has purchased/built and are currently in the fleet such as 'repair bots', 'shield boosts' etc.
Players then take it in turns to place cards down in first (active) or secondary (Reserve) lanes and to take actions per card, these can be abilities the cards have, attacks, supply cards etc.
Similar to a TCG.

I have several things ready for a playtest with my friends. I am struggling with things to input. Obviously Some things might work out for better others for worse, an example of this was when I tried out the first ships and how I had made the stats for these, I realized I had over-complicated myself with the numbers and they weren't balanced at all. The players would have struggled to keep up with the damage received and being dished out. I also am struggling with abilities to give to the ships themselves;
*Fighters, Bombers, Heavy Fighters
*Corvettes, Assault Shuttles, Hunters (Long Range), Frigate, Heavy Assault Shuttle.
*Cruisers, Light Cruisers, Destroyers
*Battleships, Carriers
Those are the different classes you could use, each would have pros and cons, be them speed, damage, range etc but i want to give them some different abilities so the battles can be more strategic or tactical instead of 'ooo i have bigger guns and ships i will win obvs'.

I hope these comments help!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
IronWill Jordy wrote:
As for the board game itself what I have worked out is I want this game to be for 2-6 players. Players will pick at random a race which will each have their own Tech trees, race specific ships and troops making the game and their objectives or playstyle different.

I'm going to stop you right there.

• Have you worked out the different tech trees?
• Have you worked out how the ships are different for each race?
• Have you worked out the objectives?

My thoughts on that are - if you haven't done any of that yet, you need to do a lot more work before asking about what you have... because at this point it sounds like you have a whole bunch of ideas, but nothing concrete.

And since you have 10 races... 10 different tech trees, 10 different fleets filled with unique ships, 10 different objectives (at the least)... This is an insanely huge task to be undertaking! It is going to take a lot of time to create all that, not to mention playtest it, testing 10 asymmetrical factions is no easy task.

I'm not saying don't do it - but start smaller. Put together tech trees/ships/objectives for 4 races, and work things out with those 4 before going up to 10. And that isn't even going into the laws or action cards or other things that will drastically change the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Domenic
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly I design variants rather than full games - it's just so much easier to start with a game that is working and tweak it to get something more interesting than to start from scratch.

One way to go about designing a new thematic game would be to take an existing game that is in the right genre, and then playtest your primary gimmick/mechanic as integrated into that system. Once you're happy with how your main new feature works, start swapping out the existing systems one by one so that they work to emphasize your new feature(s).

In reading your initial post, it seems like your main new idea is to have ship units that actually hold melee units, with ship-to-ship and on-board combat occurring dynamically. That sounds pretty neat! But it also sounds kind of tough to balance - if ship weapons are effective, one ship will be destroyed before boarding can happen. If ship weapons are ineffective, why engage in ship-to-ship combat all?

You mentioned Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) as a game in the genre. I haven't played TI-3, but I would start there (it sounds a lot closer than Risk to what you want), making the minimal changes you need to get the ship/melee combat system working. Once that's working, implement your new races/tech trees. Then replace the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Williams
Gibraltar
flag msg tools
Thanks for the opinions

-I have an idea on what the tech trees should be like yes. But sadly they are vague ideas.
-The ships yes I have worked out how they are different, The humans ships for example will be the ones that are the most balanced at everything, armour, damage, shields and speed. The Surcan Confederacy differs in that it favours speed and maneuverability over the other aspects, so they will be the quickest ships in the game. Another difference for example would be the Xi-Thian, they are brutish and hyper-aggressive in nature so their ships will favour high damage and armour values, but lacking in speed and shields, etc
-The objectives again no, it's at the back over there somewhere haha. They will be based on what the tech-trees and the ship style the race has though.
I do understand what you are saying, it is quite a mighty task indeed. I am doing as you have said though, which is working on a few at a time, so for now I am starting with the two human factions and the Surcan race. Eventually will move on to a few others once I am happy with what I have.

Thank you very much for the constructive feedback! its very much appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Williams
Gibraltar
flag msg tools
Its funny you mentioned that, some of my ideas are based on what Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) Has already, such as the political cards and the action cards. I hadn' thought about doing it that way and I am happy you have said that, that will make things easier as a whole in order to test out key features and/or mechanics. Thanks for that! I would tip you for that but i have no geekgold xD

As for what you said about the miniatures themselves, yes I understand that point of view, you would normally abstain from boarding enemy vessels unless you bring along an assault shuttle which would bring the specified troops for exactly that. Normally any of the ships would have necessary crew members such as navigation crew or gunnery crew along with a couple of guards to protect from boarding parties. The idea behind that would be for example if you're outmatched by a battleship, you'd send a shuttle or two with squads of marines in order to wreak havok in the interior of the ship given you might not stand the same chance on ship to ship combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick mullen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just want to add that I don't think people are upset with how you formatted your post, but more just making sure you have properly thought things through and aren't barelling forward or skipping steps. Your plan for the game is all well and good, but know that when you start actually designing and testing things in the game things might change.

I would figure out two of the races, and come up with a simplified tech tree for each of them. Figure out your core mechanics and keep everything simple. Don't build out all of the races, or make all of the different ship types etc. Just like, 2 or 3 ship types, the boarding mechanics, and a few techs for 2 of the races. Something that won't take more than a week or two, and gets you to a playable piece of the game.

It probably won't be the actual game, but you want to get to something playable as quick as you can so that you can experiment and use that to guide your direction. As you playtest, you will find out which of your assumptions are wrong and which were right. Then build out more complexity from there.

You have brainstormed some cool ideas for a while, but if you want to go forward the key word is "focus". Don't think about the universe, or the potential model mechanics, or how to scale the game so it works on a simple level but can get more complex as players want it. Or even how to make it work for such a wide player range as 2-6. Each of those is a separate concern that can earn it's own focus when you have a game TOO scale.

There's not much more painful in game design than printing out 350 cards and finding out that the core mechanic for the game, which everything was built on, doesn't even work. Lessons learned
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
Just think how much time you will need to balance those 10 races of yours.
That could actually be the hardest part. You need to make them different enough, so players have different experience while playing with them, but you also need to make them on par with the rest of the races.

Look at the game Cry Havoc. They made only 3 races there, and still some ppl nag about how, when you play 2 player game, one race is more prominent and OP, etc... It is a HARD work.

Do you have any help, or are you doing it all alone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Williams
Gibraltar
flag msg tools
Thanks for that Saluk, I know I'm quite sure I am aiming to high to start off with. Nothing is set in stone though, yesterday I sat down with an A3 sheet of paper and started writing down all the components I would need firstly for each race, and secondly components that everyone would use such as action cards or political cards, trying to flesh out the ideas. So I took out Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) and started taking some cards out, getting ideas on what I could have on the Political & Action Cards. I have also a smaller scale printed out version of the unfinished map just to get a feel for it, today I will be trying out several things from the game using like dommer 2029 said
Quote:
One way to go about designing a new thematic game would be to take an existing game that is in the right genre, and then playtest your primary gimmick/mechanic as integrated into that system. Once you're happy with how your main new feature works, start swapping out the existing systems one by one so that they work to emphasize your new feature(s).

I am starting out just as you have said too though, small-scale trying to adjust on the first few things so that the others come along with it after.

Thanks for your comments Patrick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Williams
Gibraltar
flag msg tools
You make a good point! yes it will be hard trying to get everyone balanced out. The way I plan on making that is so each race is good at a specific thing or at least better at some things than other races.
Like I have this race called the Velox and their 'Culture' so to say relies heavily on magic & Psionics. So this race for example will have abilities and tech related to this and will also be the one to put it to use in the game the most, be that in the battles or in the actual map gameplay.
Another race for example would be the Xi-thian, they are hyper-aggressive so their tech and ships etc would reflect that being warlike, weapon and armour orientated, but, they are also quite dumb, so even though they will be the ones with highest damage output they will lack shields and even have a research impediment (Taking longer to research).

I will do the humans first though, because they will be the balanced ones with a bit of everything, then from there I can base the other races ships and techs etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig M
msg tools
mbmb
I haven't read this thread in detail, but I wonder if you are biting off more than you can chew? Getting playtesters is a PTA for a medium-sized game, and this sounds massive in scope.

May I suggest you cut things back to 3-4 races, some simple mechanics, and playtest them first?

Once you have a decent ruleset, I would be happy to look it over. I run a playtest/rule-critique group and if you have the energy and inclination to playtest some of the games of our members, you would earn points allowing you to buy critiques off them.

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Williams
Gibraltar
flag msg tools
I am working progressively instead of attempting to do them all at the same time, in the reply I wrote just above your message i say
Quote:
I will do the humans first though, because they will be the balanced ones with a bit of everything, then from there I can base the other races ships and techs etc.

So yes the playtesting will be done with a couple of races at first, and then it will go ahead to include the other races

Thanks for that offer, I will Pm you once I have something stable

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arty N.
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
designer
As I see it, there are basically two potential reasons to make a specific game:

a) It's a unique game and there's no similar game on the market.
b) Existing similar games on the market have issues that this game aims to fix.

Considering there's plenty space 4Xes available, it must be option "b"
So here's where I would start - research what's out there and what's problematic in those games. Design your game in a way to fix (at least some) of those problems, without creating new ones. Then you might have a following. Otherwise it would be extremely hard to persuade people to play your game instead of TI3 or Eclipse or any other 4X.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Williams
Gibraltar
flag msg tools
anyone else have any ideas or opinions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick mullen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
IronWill Jordy wrote:
anyone else have any ideas or opinions?

At this point, I think you will need to have more specific questions and/or make that small prototype and start solo playtesting to find problems. You will usually find these problems very quick and that directs you to what you need to work on next.

Have you made any progress yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Williams
Gibraltar
flag msg tools
Hi Saluk. I have printed out a portion of the map, and stuck it onto some paperboard to get something more solid. I was choosing in between a static board game and hexes, I found that the hex (Or anything not static) type is many times greater for the Exploration aspect of the game.

So what I have done is made the Static board game, made it into a hexed grid with the PC & then cut the board into several different sized and shaped pieces, which in turn will have 8 of the same pieces. I will upload a picture of what I mean later on today. Imagine a Static game board broken up into pieces as if it were a puzzle. So as you go exploring you slowly start building up the board.

I am doing as you suggested in your comment starting up with 2 races which will be the two human races in the game. Simplifying in a sense of their Techs won't vary too much and neither will their ships and race perks and cons so all in all it should be a fair match. I believe I am going to be knocking down the number of ships being used from 13 to 7.

Another thing I have decided on is the an aspect of the empire management which would be the stations you may build. Each planet will allow you to build only 1 of these stations making it specialized in that area. The stations available are Shipyard (Construction), Mining, Diplomatic, Scientific & Military (For Repairs & refueling). For example, with my exploration fleet I manage to find a planet with quite a high resource output, so in order to maximize its output I build a mining station onto that planet. This will make the planet specialized in that field, which means i cant build anything else. That planet then can't be used to build any ships or repair your fleets or increase your scientific output.

will be trying these aspects out on friday so I will get back with the findings!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick mullen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
IronWill Jordy wrote:
Hi Saluk. I have printed out a portion of the map, and stuck it onto some paperboard to get something more solid. I was choosing in between a static board game and hexes, I found that the hex (Or anything not static) type is many times greater for the Exploration aspect of the game.

So what I have done is made the Static board game, made it into a hexed grid with the PC & then cut the board into several different sized and shaped pieces, which in turn will have 8 of the same pieces. I will upload a picture of what I mean later on today. Imagine a Static game board broken up into pieces as if it were a puzzle. So as you go exploring you slowly start building up the board.

I am doing as you suggested in your comment starting up with 2 races which will be the two human races in the game. Simplifying in a sense of their Techs won't vary too much and neither will their ships and race perks and cons so all in all it should be a fair match. I believe I am going to be knocking down the number of ships being used from 13 to 7.

Another thing I have decided on is the an aspect of the empire management which would be the stations you may build. Each planet will allow you to build only 1 of these stations making it specialized in that area. The stations available are Shipyard (Construction), Mining, Diplomatic, Scientific & Military (For Repairs & refueling). For example, with my exploration fleet I manage to find a planet with quite a high resource output, so in order to maximize its output I build a mining station onto that planet. This will make the planet specialized in that field, which means i cant build anything else. That planet then can't be used to build any ships or repair your fleets or increase your scientific output.

will be trying these aspects out on friday so I will get back with the findings!

So you have multiple hexes on each modular piece? I like this as a good balance between complete randomization and completely static. It also allows you to design interesting layouts - completely random layouts can just as well randomly generate boring layouts as well as interesting ones.

The video game Spelunky is actually famous for using this kind of randomization, where each level is made up of predesigned rooms that assemble randomly, along with some extra randomization of tiles (tile 4,4 in room Z can either be a wall or open). One of your map pieces could have 4 mountain tiles, and when you put it on you roll a die to determine which mountain is volcanic.

The two humans are a good start. You can focus on the base gameplay rather than on how the more unique races change that base gameplay.

I like the planet specializations. It sounds like it could make for some really tough choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Williams
Gibraltar
flag msg tools
That's what I was thinking. I basically separated the A1 sheet I had into 4 A3s then I drew down onto the hex sheets the lines to separate. I made each sheet the same as the other the top half mirroring the bottom half, so this way you'd end up with 4 pieces of each type that would be different. obviously ill be making more of them so you'd end up maybe with 8 or 10 pieces of 'layout 1' for example, but each of them are different in the sense of number of planets and stars, asteroid fields, magnetic storms nebulae etc so should give a randomized playing field each time you play.

I've never heard of that game before but i'll give it a look!

and yes in a sense it will also let me balance out the combat and the resource acquirement every round because it will be a fair game. I believe I have more or less come up with the humans tech tree, some things will need to be added and some removed or tweaked but the basic 'tree' is there. I'll type some of them out today. Another thing i've worked out is the tech the humans will start with, including the ship hulls they have and even the station tech they begin with. for example they won't start out with both a diplomatic station or a mining station and will need to unlock these via researching. They will also not have access to the Shrine which is a station specifically used by Psionic energy using races such as the Velox.

I printed out some simple planet cards which ill try to upload. Will be a kind of concept with which to work from.

I didn't bother making all the planets different yet of course because it is irrelevant for gameplay. the little tabs on the left are where the score of the resources that planet gives out every turn goes. This will be from top to bottom: Money, Ore, Food, Fuel, Psionic Energy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
Nice. Why is the top of the planet cut, though?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Williams
Gibraltar
flag msg tools
Well it seems I accidentally cut off the top part when removing the background of the planet. When i realised I had already copy pasted it onto several of them and then sort of just wasn't bothered on doing the whole process again xD xD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Aldén
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nichik wrote:
Considering there's plenty space 4Xes available, it must be option "b"
So here's where I would start - research what's out there and what's problematic in those games. Design your game in a way to fix (at least some) of those problems, without creating new ones. Then you might have a following. Otherwise it would be extremely hard to persuade people to play your game instead of TI3 or Eclipse or any other 4X.

I totally agree with this.

What kind of game do you dream of? A TI3 variant but with another setting? More details?

To me it looks like you want to add a lot of things (like more ship types with more stats, more detailed combat system, vassals, etc) which is likely to add to the playing time. Given that many gamers who love TI3 rarely play it due to the long playing time, would you be fine with your game having an even longer play time (I.e. Probably unplayable in one session)? If not, what will you take away?

I don't know how much research you've done on existing games but I'd recommend having a good knowledge of at least these two in addition to TI3:
Eclipse (euro in space)
Space Empires: 4X inc. the expansion (wargame with plenty of combat options but no diplomacy or trade)

Any new space game will eventually be compared to TI3, Eclipse and/or Space Empires. Knowing what each of these games do well is a good starting point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.