Subject: Anyone found a Storage solution for Painted Minis rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sven Schläpfer
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi Guys

I got the Kings Edition and a ton of Add Ons (I kinda overdid it back when the Kickstarter was live and ordered just about everything ) And since my plan is to paint the Minis I need a decent Storage solution, I was thinking about building foam Trays that fit into the two big boxes (I think I might fit 3 layers of minis that way) but I am not sure If that would be sufficient to contain all the miniatures that were delivered so far.

What are your plans to store the whole game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ChromeMystic wrote:

What are your plans to store the whole game?

That's easy, just get one of these...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ChromeMystic wrote:
I got the Kings Edition and a ton of Add Ons (I kinda overdid it back when the Kickstarter was live and ordered just about everything ) And since my plan is to paint the Minis I need a decent Storage solution.

In Germany, one of the sites for finding storage solutions of this magnitude is www.immobilienscout24.de. There is likely a similar site/real-estate market for your region.

Alternately, a bank loan for adding a new room to the building you currently live in might be an alternative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Anonymous
Germany
flag msg tools
Im painting them too but I am more concerned about bending weapons than chipping (2-3 layers of varnish will do it).
Guess I will keep it in the trays and use a additonal box for the addons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gonna plug the Game+Plus pluck foam storage:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1371930/gameplus-foam-trays...

MM occasionally has them on sale, although I think their last one just ended: http://www.miniaturemarket.com/searchresults?q=game+plus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking of something like this for the minis:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-22-in-Cantilever-Plastic-Or...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Blood
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
http://us.battlefoam.com/board-game-foam-trays-5/

Battlefoam has trays for Blood Rage, Zombicide and more. If this game does decent at retail, I expect they will make trays for Conan, as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Gill
msg tools
feldherr pick make trays for a number of games, non + e for Conan specifically but you can pick the individual trays that do the job.

https://www.feldherr.net/?ReferrerID=10&gclid=Cj0KEQjwhbzABR...

I use army painter dip, and am impressed by the finish and am tempted to keep the larger models in the plastic they came in. Would never dream of using it ofr wargames minis but think perfect for boardgames pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Little Willy wrote:
feldherr pick make trays for a number of games, non + e for Conan specifically but you can pick the individual trays that do the job.

https://www.feldherr.net/?ReferrerID=10&gclid=Cj0KEQjwhbzABR...

I use army painter dip, and am impressed by the finish and am tempted to keep the larger models in the plastic they came in. Would never dream of using it ofr wargames minis but think perfect for boardgames pieces.

Feldherr posted on their Facebook that they will be making a tray for Conan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Poor
United States
Dexter
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I haven't received mine yet; but the plastic trays that the minis are boxed and shipped in look very similar to the ones for Blood Rage, and I just store my painted minis in them. They seem to be doing ok; am I making a mistake?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not like the minis are made of fairy dust and unicorn farts. I don't understand why people get so ultra concerned about them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bielcik
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
ampoliros wrote:
It's not like the minis are made of fairy dust and unicorn farts. I don't understand why people get so ultra concerned about them.

Because once they've been painted, and painted well, sometimes by a pro, you want to protect them from damage as much as possible. And unfortunately, to get the most out of these very detailed minis, they are going to have to be painted, because the plastic that they are molded in doesn't come anywhere *near* doing them justice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
That's easy, just get one of these...

Wow with a box that big i might actually be able to fit Cthulhu Wars, The Others 7 Sins and Conan all into one single box. Neat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ampoliros wrote:

probably for the same reason people sleeve every paper scrap coming with a game and practicality be damned.
sometimes I wonder why no one suggests taking rule-books apart page by page and sleeveing them separately ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
asgorn wrote:
sometimes I wonder why no one suggests taking rule-books apart page by page and sleeveing them separately ...

What... you mean you don't? i thought that was a given.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
asgorn wrote:

I laminate mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
asgorn wrote:

ok, the obvious move to preserve the game is to arrange everything (minis, cards, books) nicely in an open box and then fill it with clear resin.
preserved for eternity - of course now you have to print out and use the print and play stuff for gaming.

seriously though, independent of painted or not the original big boxes can't really hold all the stuff, at least not if you would like easy and sorted access - although I hoped that initially.
now my plan is to have a plan.

shuffling around the stuff is irritating...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
asgorn wrote:
seriously though, independent of painted or not the original big boxes can't really hold all the stuff, at least not if you would like easy and sorted access - although I hoped that initially.
now my plan is to have a plan.

shuffling around the stuff is irritating...

Apropos shuffling around, another consideration is: i've found that it's far easier to get minis into play if they are kept together with their tiles, as opposed to storing the tiles and minis separately. That may be a personal preference, but to me it's twice as much work keeping them apart, partially because the graphics on the tiles often looks nothing like the minis they represent.

Mine aren't/won't be painted, so keeping them packed together is not a concern for me, but it may be an unexpected factor when storing painted minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
yep, I will probably try to store them together.
It reduces the search iterations and make identifying variants easier, however it comes with an extra space requirement as you can't store neither types as formfitting as separately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
asgorn wrote:
yep, I will probably try to store them together.
It reduces the search iterations and make identifying variants easier, however it comes with an extra space requirement as you can't store neither types as formfitting as separately.

This is for unpainted minis, but it might give you an idea or two:

Those boxes are 8cm deep, which fits all of the minis and tiles, including (just barely) the Thaug mini (bottom/left of the picture). 8cm deep is an ideal size for holding "mini" cards in a "standing" position (or normal-sized cards sideways: i use this same box to store my Eldritch Horror cards rotated sideways).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven Stassen
Belgium
Kessel-Lo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hasn't anybody come up with a nice and clever box insert so we can store the All-in king pledge in the two boxes?

I'm pretty tight on free time to create one myself but I'm definitely a taker for what the community comes up with.

If you look for example to Blood Rage, I've seen some marvelous inserts that make set-up a walk in the park AND that protect the paint job on the mini's.

I'll take one of them everyday over the overly priced inserts on the market (often at half the price of a new board game) or any alternative storage solutions (like the big plano boxes) where after the game box can only be used as a kitty litter.

I just like my game boxes to contain the game they were meant for. I just like the feel of a box heavy with content (e.g.: blood rage with all expansions, the filled TI3 coffin box, ...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lievenstassen wrote:
Hasn't anybody come up with a nice and clever box insert so we can store the All-in king pledge in the two boxes?

In two boxes, sure, but not the boxes it shipped with!

Someone recently posted pics and measurements (in the files section) for storing the non-minis bits (except for books and maps) very compactly (using, IIRC, only one of the smaller brown "inner" boxes which held minis).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
I put my miniatures in the plastic holders they came in. I have lots of CMoN games that are fully painted and sitting nicely in their plastic spots. I've never had a problem with paint chipping. One coat of gloss and then one coat of dull makes the paint last a long time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
I put my miniatures in the plastic holders they came in. I have lots of CMoN games that are fully painted and sitting nicely in their plastic spots. I've never had a problem with paint chipping. One coat of gloss and then one coat of dull makes the paint last a long time.

It's not a bad storage situation until you spend 20 minutes putting the game away, trying to figure out which spot every mini goes in.

I did that with Zombicide for awhile, until I ended up spending almost as much time cleaning up as I did setting up and playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Hillean wrote:
broken clock wrote:

It's not a bad storage situation until you spend 20 minutes putting the game away, trying to figure out which spot every mini goes in.

I did that with Zombicide for awhile, until I ended up spending almost as much time cleaning up as I did setting up and playing.

It doesn't take me more than 3-5 minutes to put the miniatures away in Zombicide. Even less if I throw an insert toward a friend and tell him to get to work.

If you're having trouble with shape recognition you could just print the models on paper and glue it to the back of the holder for reference or just keep it to the side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.