This War of Mine: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: So, did anyone play this? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Walmsley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just wondering if anyone here had the chance to play this at Spiel, would be interested to hear your thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walmsley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
I guess that's a no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually did, but I am unsure what to write. Could you be more specific as to what you would like to know?

I have often asked these questions about impressions but being on the other side of it, I find it a little hard to come up with what exactly to write.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:
I actually did, but I am unsure what to write. Could you be more specific as to what you would like to know?

I have often asked these questions about impressions but being on the other side of it, I find it a little hard to come up with what exactly to write.

Was the game play satisfying?

What did you like about it?

Could you see yourself playing a 3-4hr session?

If you've played the computer version, was the board game as immersive?

Did you play with a group of people?
If so, how was the co-op experience?

Did you have any group dilemma decisions?
How did they resolve?

Was the rule book clear and concise?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) good question. We only played one day and one night (this was the demo). I did not find it that satisfying but it was okay. The person demoing changed several times during this short demo and some of them seemed not to know the hame very well. With only one night and day phase none of our choices had any consequences so it was mostly just seeing things happen.

2) the night phase seemed to have some interesting systems. I generally liked how surprising things could happen and make you read entries in the story book

3) it could be fun with a long session with my usual group. I think it is quite different playing with strangers for me.

4) I certainly did not find it as immersive as a computer game. However, during the first day and night in the computer game I was also not that immersed yet

5) we were a group of four people. The co op experience was okay, we tried to get some discussions going but one person had a hard time making descisions when he was in charge which really slowed the game down.

6) we didnt really have any dilemmas. None of the players had any strong feelings towards anything we did which is expectable in such a short game.

7) This is an important point. I did not find the rule nearly as clear as it should be for the "open and play" thing they want to do. I am scared that they will not provide a proper rulebook and lots of questions will be unanswered. We had to ask the person giving the demo several timea for help with the rules and sometimes they didn't know either (it seemed like a person who did not know the game that well).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for this.
It's is very enlightening.

I hope someone in charge with the game will come and address the seventh point.
With a little chance, the rulebook is ok but the persons there were just not savvy about it.

Quote:
"I certainly did not find it as immersive as a computer game. However, during the first day and night in the computer game I was also not that immersed yet"

Fair enough.
An immersive start would have been reassuring but it could be that this kind of game creates tensions after a while.
These are not bad news, just not good ones yet.

I'm confident they will make a hell of a game.
Fingers crossed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcelo Binda
Malaysia
flag msg tools
Respect the Beard!
mbmbmbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:
7) This is an important point. I did not find the rule nearly as clear as it should be for the "open and play" thing they want to do. I am scared that they will not provide a proper rulebook and lots of questions will be unanswered. We had to ask the person giving the demo several timea for help with the rules and sometimes they didn't know either (it seemed like a person who did not know the game that well).

This worries me a bit. I honestly don't think the 'open and play' thing is that great. I really feel more comfortable to read the rules in advance which makes you have at least one player in the group more secure about what to do.

Well, if they release a rules refence book along with the 'open and play' book, then I'm fine with it.

Edit: Corrections and clarifications...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also prefer a traditional rule book. I do not mind being the one to read the rules before inviting my friends, but I would prefer that someone knows what is going on.

I find it a bit worrying that they have not released the rulebook on the kickstarter yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:
I find it a bit worrying that they have not released the rulebook on the kickstarter yet.

+1 to this, I hope they do post one eventually. But I think they want to hold onto that 'open and play' idea and keep everything under wraps until you play it.

The Mechs vs Minions game that recently came out did a nice 'open and play' tutorial rule book. It guides you through the first two mini campaigns pretty well. But they also included a very large rule book/index that has everything covered in detail, and it's all listed alphabetically for each reference. With a large game such as TWoM seems to be, something like this might be handy to have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they are quite worried tat someone migth steal their game when they release the rulebook. A stance I totally do not understand as for this game the rulebook is about the component that is the most worthless one. All the cards, all the stories. That's the value. Noone is going to bother to copy the mechanics and redo all of them. But in the end its teir decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jun Herng Tan
msg tools
kilrah wrote:
I think they are quite worried tat someone migth steal their game when they release the rulebook. A stance I totally do not understand as for this game the rulebook is about the component that is the most worthless one. All the cards, all the stories. That's the value. Noone is going to bother to copy the mechanics and redo all of them. But in the end its teir decision.

Maybe they haven't finalise the English version rule book? Seems they have streamline the game a lot?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.