Hide
2 Posts

Mystic Vale: Vale of Magic» Forums » General

Subject: First impressions. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Angell
msg tools
Got in 3 two player games in with the new cards from VoM and wow they are powerful. So much so I found myself hoping the next expansion has a little disruption or way to cycle the buy rows to deny certain combos.

The double guardian symbols on the Sentry make the grove tender a monster and the guardian advancements much more powerful in general.
The card is pretty much buy on sight just to deny the potential power your opponents can get from it even if you have nothing great to do with it yet.

the seedling dream is real. My opponent pulled off the seedling on the creeping mold/cursed land. That was our most lopsided game as my vale strategy never lined up and that single card ended the game well before my growth symbols could take over the game.

There's a lot of growth symbols and effects that act like growth symbols. Pre VoM I'd see people pull off the occasional explosive turn but now it's possible to rip through your deck on multiple turns in a variety of ways. I think this means you have to be a lot better about analyzing the board state and aggressively pushing for key combo pieces because it's very easy to fall behind and if you do it can be quite hard to catch up.

My favorite card so far because I think it's the most clever is the Hatchery though Canopy explorer is a lot of fun.

We didn't see many of the new vale cards. The only one I got to play and use was the roost which lets you turn 2 mana into a point. Not that exciting but it kept me in a game I was behind in.

overall I'm happy with the expansion. It adds a lot of explosive turn potential and variety to the base game which could be a bit plodding and dry at times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gallagher
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Can you explain to me how Canopy Explorer is any different than just pushing your luck for more card? I mean if you draw more decay symbols when you play it, you bust yea? The only difference I'm seeing is that you bust at setup instead of phase 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.