$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
34.4% of Goal | 27 Days Left

Support:

ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had an experience with someone years ago at a public board gaming group. We helped out with getting him food and snacks, and did a game of Wits & Wagers, filling in his answer after everyone put theirs in, and reciting the answers that were submitted.

While out of town, I heard from someone that a blind person does manage to get even specific strategy and eurogames in with a group he's very familiar with. Even though it's the exception than the norm, still great to hear it's possible (even though I'm sure folks who lose their sight would probably give up on board gaming ).

It's sort of like how blind who are very good at memorizing these things are able to play Chess by touching the pieces. Here, with a game like Ticket To Ride, he also needs to be told what's in his hand, and what pieces are out their as he's touching them, but manages to do well with those aids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't recall gaming with a blind person, but:

ackmondual wrote:
It's sort of like how blind who are very good at memorizing these things are able to play Chess by touching the pieces.

Or by remembering the board state without touching the pieces. A friend of ours (not blind) could play Chess that way (and he won vs my wife in a game where she could see the board and he could not).

Then the really strong Chess players can play simultaneous timed games that way vs several opponents... (you can find videos in youtube of that)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played chess and bridge with blind opponents. I also played chess against a gent who had severe macular degeneration.

The bridge players played as partners and used braille cards (very odd to hold, and need gentle, slow shuffling). They were great at remembering the cards, but needed my partner and I to record the bids and sometimes give reminders. - The cards also had normal printed faces, so my partner and I could play normally.

Chess boards for blind players have slightly raised squares of one colour, and little locator pegs so the pieces are steady. I played a few times against an older fellow who used to come to the State Library in Melbourne (there's a huge chess collection). He was good, but refused to use a clock and games would take hours. I used to do my uni reading and it made me feel quite rude.

The guy with macular degeneration used to come to a couple of the clubs in Melbourne and continued as his sight failed. I played him once in a tournament and we used a normal set. He was nice, but also slow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
I have played 18xx with two different blind players, one pitch black blind and the other barely able to see things with a thick magnifying glass from a few centimeters away. In both cases, they were skilled, competent and aggressive players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
I have played 18xx with two different blind players, one pitch black blind and the other barely able to see things with a thick magnifying glass from a few centimeters away. In both cases, they were skilled, competent and aggressive players.

Wow - that wouldn't have been my first guess at a game which is easily playable by blind players.

I guess every player announced their tile lays and upgrades with reference to a hex grid and tile manifest or something. I also assume (knowing you) that all money was open information and that maybe you tracked by poker chips or possibly spreadsheet. Still very impressive.

Do you know if they learned the game before becoming blind or after?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donatien Lacroix
msg tools
Have a look on blind stuff store, they have some poker, bridge,chess and scrabble versions for blind persons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Stevenson
United Kingdom
Watford
Herts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed a kickstarter called:

"Board Games: Now Blind Accessible"

a couple of years ago designed to provide custom accessories to enable play between blind and sighted players. Not being blind or having blind acquaintances myself I didn't follow up beyond the kickstarter (which succeeded) but I wouldn't be surprised if the community messages on it had some relevant information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
andyl wrote:
Do you know if they learned the game before becoming blind or after?

I know only in one case: he started going blind well after he started playing 18xx.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.