Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Quinn
New Zealand
Auckland
none
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been "away" from boardgaming for the last year or so as I was seeing the same new games popping up and nothing really interesting me.

I love co-ops and Mage Knight is my all time favourite game - is there anything newly released or announced in the co-op games space that might be worth investigating?

Important note - NOT that Star Trek re-imagining of MK!!! (can't stand photo-realistic art!!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Valencia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your mileage will vary as there is nothing quite like Mage Knight.

However, I really enjoy Mistfall, which came out last year. It has many similarities to Mage Knight, especially the theme, the experience-based deckbuilding, and trying to combo your cards in just the right way to end the encounter in as few rounds of combat as possible. Another "similarity" is the nearly unreadable rulebook (I never had a problem with Mage Knight's rules, but Mistfall's are admittedly bad). Mistfall is more heavily on the thematic and card game side of the spectrum, but both are Euro/thematic hybrids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
slimo wrote:
...is there anything newly released or announced in the co-op games space that might be worth investigating?

Maybe Gloomhaven ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps the Star Trek retheme? Not original in all departments.

Otherwise: search for a copy of Magic Realm whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No.

Gloomhaven might be close.

Mistfall is one of the worst games I've ever played. I can't believe it even got published.

Mage Knight is better than Magic Realm in nearly every way in my opinion, though die hards of MR would probably disagree.

Oddly the game Leaving Earth fulfills a lot of the same "brain burn" that MK does... it's not co-op though and I think sucks with more than 1.. great solo space exploration game though. I find them very similar "experiences" despite the fact they are literally completely different.

MK is my favorite game and a few I'd recommend are Shadows of Brimstone (great co-op, not much like MK, just fun) and Kingdom Death is literally amazing if you can afford it... KS #2 goes live on Black Friday... get it if you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Quinn
New Zealand
Auckland
none
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all!

I remember looking into Emergence Event and having really high hopes - has anyone played it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
slimo wrote:
Thanks all!

I remember looking into Emergence Event and having really high hopes - has anyone played it?

I was gonna buy that awhile ago but read the company is one of the worst there is in the business.. I researched it a lot and never bought it. Can't quite remember why, but some kinda red flag is going off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
79strat wrote:
slimo wrote:
Thanks all!

I was gonna buy that awhile ago but read the company is one of the worst there is in the business.. I researched it a lot and never bought it. Can't quite remember why, but some kinda red flag is going off.

They are known for the now infamous Myth. I haven't looked that much into their other stuff to know how they are handling those. I know some people here swear by Emergence Event, but I can't get excited about a game with a 7.2 rating and with 63 votes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slimo wrote:
I have been "away" from boardgaming for the last year or so as I was seeing the same new games popping up and nothing really interesting me.

I love co-ops and Mage Knight is my all time favourite game - is there anything newly released or announced in the co-op games space that might be worth investigating?

Sword & Sorcery will be out early next year.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
^I got my eye on that + Massive Darkness

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I honestly wouldn't look for the next MK because I don't see it coming, but I would look for a game which MK fans would like. I'm excited about Gloomhaven, but I'm glad my friend was the one to back it as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Recalcitrant Ronnie
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
I honestly wouldn't look for the next MK because I don't see it coming, but I would look for a game which MK fans would like. I'm excited about Gloomhaven, but I'm glad my friend was the one to back it as well.

When one plays a Vlaada game one enters the mind of Vlaada. So every Vlaada game has something big in common but they are also all very unique.

I would recommend trying some other Vlaada games if you really like Mage Knight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Redward wrote:
matthean wrote:

When one plays a Vlaada game one enters the mind of Vlaada. So every Vlaada game has something big in common but they are also all very unique.

I would recommend trying some other Vlaada games if you really like Mage Knight.

Oddly I've tried many Vlaada games, and love Mage Knight, and haven't liked any of them, besides Codenames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
79strat wrote:
Redward wrote:
matthean wrote:

Oddly I've tried many Vlaada games, and love Mage Knight, and haven't liked any of them, besides Codenames.

I also had a variey of reactions to his games (like some, tolerate some others, dislike the rest).

I think Vlaada is way more eclectic than most designers, so his name does not guarantee the presence of certain "elements" that you may expect to always like (or dislike).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Thimbleby
msg tools
slimo wrote:

Most people seem to be answering the question as if you are asking "is there another game like Mage Knight?" — a question for which I have no answer I would find completely satisfactory.

But to answer the question "is there anything newly released or announced in the co-op games space that might be worth investigating?".

I would suggest you have a look at Mechs vs Minions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RamMegiddo wrote:

I believe the first print run sold out so it will be a while before they offer it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
RamMegiddo wrote:

I believe the first print run sold out so it will be a while before they offer it again.

2nd wave is shipping in December.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
79strat wrote:
matthean wrote:
RamMegiddo wrote:

But that's the 2nd wave of the initial print run which I know is at least sold out in the UK. The next print run isn't until like March.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
79strat wrote:
matthean wrote:
RamMegiddo wrote:

But that's the 2nd wave of the initial print run which I know is at least sold out in the UK. The next print run isn't until like March.

Oh ok. I wasn't aware of the status in the UK. I just bought a copy just now though in the US.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
79strat wrote:
matthean wrote:
79strat wrote:
matthean wrote:
RamMegiddo wrote:

Oh ok. I wasn't aware of the status in the UK. I just bought a copy just now though in the US.

I think that depends on from which warehouse they are shipping.
This week I ordered my copy from the 1st printing/2nd wave shipping in Germany.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.