Hide
10 Posts

Dominion» Forums » Rules

Subject: one question about fool's gold rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mpampis Mpampoglas
msg tools
I have read the faq but its so overpowered that I refuse to believe it.

So if you play one fool's gold its worth 1g and if you play a second its worth 4g and the same happens if you player a third a forth, fifth and so on. The card only costs 2g, so...the card is overpowered and doensn't make any sense. The one that has bought this card many times is the king, not only that but this card is even better than gold.

Lastrly there is no reason to use the reaction effect since gold only worth 3g but only 2 fool's gold cards worth 5 and combining them make them even more powerful..

So please help me to understand, why this card costs only 2g and... did I understand the rules correctly? or am I saying something wrong?

EDIT:
So... I played with fool's gold and you are right, its not so unbalanced as I though. The game was smooth.

Thank you all for your replies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Will Provide Statistics for Data
mbmbmbmbmb
This is usually a good resource: http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Fool's_Gold. Looks like when it's out, you best be buying it up--immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Boyle
United States
Shrewsbury
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the correct link: http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Fool%27s_Gold. But CyberGarp is correct to direct you here - you're probably not going to get much better advice than this article, which discusses this card (and plenty of others) in great detail.

But yes, the card is good, but like virtually all cards in Dominion, they are situationally good. Certainly if your opponent lets you buy all 10 FGs then you're going to do quite well for yourself - it's not typically a card to ignore. But it can also be quite difficult to line up your FGs, especially if you are being hit with various discard attacks.

And there are certainly times to use the reaction piece - top decking a gold for a future turn is often a very solid move, especially late in the game when you just need VPs. Would you rather have a guaranteed gold or a potential copper next turn? Especially if your current hand is a single FG, it's not doing much for you and won't help until your next reshuffle at best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B
Canada
Whitby
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The main problem you are overlooking is that there is no guarantee that you will get 2 (or more) Fool's Gold in your hand at the same time. If you get bad luck and keep drawing them 1 at a time, then Fool's Gold ends up being mostly garbage to you, and you just have very expensive copper.

ninja'd by a better explanation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mpampis Mpampoglas
msg tools
that's what I have read, and it doesn't make sense. you pay 2g to have a 4g, and a gold is 6g for 3g, it doesn't make any sense! its powerfull. there is no reason to trash it

EDIT: oh.. when I was writing that reply the page was not refreshed with the new comments, well I will try it in a game and see how it goes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a good card and nearly a great one. But you need a lot of card drawing and deck thinning to always get more than one. Otherwise it is only worth a copper and that costs 0.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DuckOfDeath V
United States
Hillsboro
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
leontas2007 wrote:
... but this card is even better than gold.

Strictly speaking you would have to have 4 of them in your hand for them to be better than gold. That's not easy to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
leontas2007 wrote:
I have read the faq but its so overpowered that I refuse to believe it.

So if you play one fool's gold its worth 1g and if you play a second its worth 4g and the same happens if you player a third a forth, fifth and so on. The card only costs 2g, so...the card is overpowered and doensn't make any sense. The one that has bought this card many times is the king, not only that but this card is even better than gold.

Another thing is the FG approach is better facilitated if you have extra Buys, as getting 2 in a turn gets your engine going much faster, and could make a notable difference. Getting 1 per turn is kind of meh.

leontas2007 wrote:
Lastrly there is no reason to use the reaction effect since gold only worth 3g but only 2 fool's gold cards worth 5 and combining them make them even more powerful..

Even if you've got no plans to line them up, I'd buy them for denial, and trash them for Gold when another player buys a Province.

Also agree that sifters and trashers are helpful, or also helpful. Not to mention drawing many cards. Treasures can always be played, so extra FG aren't "dead cards" in the same sense. When your deck gets bigger, the effects are harder to come by due to the dilution.

leontas2007 wrote:
So please help me to understand, why this card costs only 2g and... did I understand the rules correctly? or am I saying something wrong?
On DominionStrategy.com, there's a blurb from Donald by way of someone else saying "Oops! He did it again!". It was thought there won't be another 2-cost card as powerful as Chapel, but that ended up NOT being the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bell
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 gold is 3 bucks, 1 fool's gold is 1 buck.
2 gold is 6 bucks, 2 fool's gold is 5 bucks (equivalent to 2.5 each).
3 gold is 9 bucks, 3 fool's gold is 9 bucks (equivalent to 3 each).
4 gold is 12 bucks, 4 fool's gold is 13 bucks (equivalent to 3.25 each).
... etc.

Fool's gold is a great card, but it's not better than gold in most cases, other than being much easier to get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mpampis Mpampoglas
msg tools
So... I played with fool's gold and you are right, its not so unbalanced as I though. The game was smooth.

Thank you all for your replies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.