16 Posts

Pyramid Arcade» Forums » General

Subject: How many pyramids needed? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm new to pyramid games. I have arcade coming from the kickstarter and two rainbow stashes.

It looks like arcade comes with three stacks of each color. Would I want to pick up another rainbow stash somewhere so that I also have three of each of those colors? Would this be of any benefit to me other than having different colors to choose from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are always games that use more pyramids, but I think you should wait and play what's in pyramid arcade before buying more. There are some really great games in the Arcade. Homeworlds is my favorite, but my kids liked Treehouse when they were younger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rogers
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
Many of the early games in this system assumed 5 trios of pyramids per color, usually of rainbow, or the xeno color schemes.

The Kickstarter stretch goal that gave the two additional boxes of Rainbow get you to that "traditional" collection. You will be well placed to play many of the early games, as well as all the newer games included in the Pyramid Arcade.

However, I won't lie, I already have 6 trios of the 10 colors in the Arcade, and I'm looking forward to getting another 3 each in the arcade box. I oten find myself setting up multiple simultaneous games for my friends at game nights, so this will let me show off 3 games at a time of anything in the Arcade....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Each game has its own requirements, so how many you need depends on which games you're interested in. Of course the games in the Pyramid Arcade rulebook don't need more pyramids. But e.g. the popular Zendo needs more pyramids to work (no fixed number, but at least 5 trios each of several colors is usual). Homeworlds needs n+1 rainbow stashes where n=number of players. Etc. There are a fair number of games where each player has a stash (5 trios) of their own player color, e.g. Pikemen, Branches and Twigs and Thorns, Gnostica, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I see, so the Pyramid Arcade is a mix of rainbow and xeno stashes, so if I want more pyramids later on down the line, I'd just need two extra sets of rainbows stashes and two extra sets of xeno stashes. These would give me 5 trios of each color in arcade?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So Pyramid Arcade comes with the rainbow colors already so what you will end up with is 5 trios for each of the 5 rainbow colors (due to the extras you are getting) and 3 trios for each of the 5 xeno colors (plus green as a KS reward).

You will be able to get a TON of mileage out of that. It is true that you can always use more pyramids to play more games or expand current games, but I think you will have plenty to try out pretty much any game you would want to, even stuff like Zendo or Icehouse which are not in the box. Having those 2 rainbow stashes pretty much allows you to do all the major games that arcade doesn't support on its own.

Edit: BTW it is worth mentioning that most games that require 5 trios of colors don't require 5 trios of more than 5 colors. In other words, you don't need more xeno stashes to play those games assuming you are fine playing in the rainbow colors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Awesome, it all makes sense now. Thanks for all the replies. I can't wait to try all the games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you find yourself wanting to spend money, I would suggest picking up a copy or two of Pink Hijinks. That and the now long OOP Pink Treehouse are the only way to get pink pyramids as they are not part of the Rainbow or Xeno sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
If you find yourself wanting to spend money, I would suggest picking up a copy or two of Pink Hijinks. That and the now long OOP Pink Treehouse are the only way to get pink pyramids as they are neither part of the Rainbow or Xeno sets.

Do you think they will be re-released with the rounder tops or does it not matter? I'm not sure if the current rainbow/xeno stashes have rounded tops or not. From what I'm reading it doesn't impact gameplay by mixing the different types.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HarryCanyon wrote:
ras2124 wrote:
If you find yourself wanting to spend money, I would suggest picking up a copy or two of Pink Hijinks. That and the now long OOP Pink Treehouse are the only way to get pink pyramids as they are neither part of the Rainbow or Xeno sets.

Do you think they will be re-released with the rounder tops or does it not matter? I'm not sure if the current rainbow/xeno stashes have rounded tops or not. From what I'm reading it doesn't impact gameplay by mixing the different types.
I don't know, but probably not. The new tops shouldn't affect anything. It is worth mentioning that the extra rainbow sets you will get will have the old tips so you can see what you think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
If you find yourself wanting to spend money, I would suggest picking up a copy or two of Pink Hijinks. That and the now long OOP Pink Treehouse are the only way to get pink pyramids as they are not part of the Rainbow or Xeno sets.

Ended up buying two of the Pink Hijinks sets so that will give me 6 trios total. Great recommendation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The pink ones are cool looking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
So Pyramid Arcade comes with the rainbow colors already so what you will end up with is 5 trios for each of the 5 rainbow colors (due to the extras you are getting) and 3 trios for each of the 5 xeno colors (plus green as a KS reward).

Not everyone will get extra rainbow stashes. Looney Labs sent out a survey to Kickstarter backers asking if they wanted 2 rainbow, 2 xeno, or 1 of each. They warned that they couldn't promise that people would get what they requested. They have since said that they will run out of xeno, so people who responded late will get rainbow no matter what they asked for. But people who responded early and asked for xeno (like me) will get xeno. I already have lots of rainbow pyramids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwolfe wrote:
ras2124 wrote:

Not everyone will get extra rainbow stashes. Looney Labs sent out a survey to Kickstarter backers asking if they wanted 2 rainbow, 2 xeno, or 1 of each. They warned that they couldn't promise that people would get what they requested. They have since said that they will run out of xeno, so people who responded late will get rainbow no matter what they asked for. But people who responded early and asked for xeno (like me) will get xeno. I already have lots of rainbow pyramids.
Yes, but the OP specifically says he is getting 2 rainbow stashes. I was responding directly to his situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Weberg
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:

You will be able to get a TON of mileage out of that. It is true that you can always use more pyramids to play more games or expand current games, but I think you will have plenty to try out pretty much any game you would want to, even stuff like Zendo or Icehouse which are not in the box. Having those 2 rainbow stashes pretty much allows you to do all the major games that arcade doesn't support on its own.

Edit: BTW it is worth mentioning that most games that require 5 trios of colors don't require 5 trios of more than 5 colors. In other words, you don't need more xeno stashes to play those games assuming you are fine playing in the rainbow colors.

Another point worth mentioning is that many of the old games merely require 5 trios per player. You can easily give each player 5 trios from two different colors and play just fine with the retail version of the Arcade (i.e. no extra stashes). You can even use the Twin Win cards to denote which players are using which colors. While this might not be relevant to those of us who backed the Kickstarter, it is a good point to mention to friends and family who are considering getting their own copy of the Arcade.

As discussed elsewhere, one could conceivably play Zendo or RAMbots - games in which color DOES matter - using just the Arcade as long as you are willing to redefine "color" to mean "pairs or groups of colors".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Umjahwa wrote:
As discussed elsewhere, one could conceivably play Zendo or RAMbots - games in which color DOES matter - using just the Arcade as long as you are willing to redefine "color" to mean "pairs or groups of colors".
Certainly true, though doing Zendo that way might break your brain, especially if you have never played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.