GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 70.92

4,904 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
30.9% of Goal | 28 Days Left

Support:

José Giménez
Paraguay
flag msg tools
Hi! Takenoko and Carcassonne plus Inns & Cathedrals cost about the same primera.

Which do you think will be fun to play more times? Thanks!

Im planning to have one of both to play it with my girlfriend and sometimes more friends
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zuzana S
Iceland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both and I think both are fun to play repeatedly. Personally, I think that Carcassonne feels more varied after several plays as the kind of tiles you draw may change how you play. Plus there is more competition directly on the table. With Takenoko I feel like I end up doing very similar things in each game and a lot comes down to who finishes the set number of objectives first. That said, I like both games, but maybe I have a slight bias against Takenoko, as my mom loves it and whenever I am with her she barely wants to play anything else so I am repeatedly getting a slight overdose of it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
Check out www.saskgames.com for gaming clubs, stores, and events in Saskatchewan.
mb
I would say Carcassonne & Expansion hands down.

Here's my rationale:
(1) Carcassonne has better mass appeal.
(2) Carcassonne has more replay value. (I have logged 90 games of face to face Carcassonne whereas I logged only 4 plays of Takenoko and grew tired of it).
(3) Carcassonne is much more expandable if you want to add more elements and expansions to the game.
(4) There are more decisions and strategy to the Carcassonne game versus Takenoko feels very similar with repeat plays from a strategy perspective.
(5) I owned both and kept Carcassonne and sold Takenoko.

My two cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
flag msg tools
I concur with Bixby, in general. I like both games well enough to keep them, but I personally feel like I've gotten more replayability out of Carcassonne than Takenoko.

In addition to Bixby's reasons, Carcassonne + I&C gives you an upper limit of six players, whereas Takenoko caps at 4. We managed to play Takenoko 5 player once, but it was really tight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lambert
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When it comes to owning games, I always choose "and" over "or".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inappropriate Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd vote for Carcassonne with Inns + Cathedrals.
I'd also recommend adding Carcassonne: Expansion 2 – Traders & Builders later
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José Giménez
Paraguay
flag msg tools
Thank you so much for all your replies! Carcassonne its the winner!

Of course I will love to have both, and eventually maybe I will, but have money to only buy one this time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MURPHY
United States
LITTLETON
CO
flag msg tools
mb
These are the two personally highest rated games in my collection. I agree you can't go wrong with Carcassone, but i would like to make a case for Takenoko.

The strategy is deeper (imo) in Takenoko. You can play defensively by not placing tiles or by eating everything if your opponent is just taking gardening cards (as examples).

Again, I love Carcassone, but Takenoko is very fun - albeit - does have a luck component if you do not draw high point value cards.

Hope this helps you choose Takenoko in the future!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José Giménez
Paraguay
flag msg tools
murphzone wrote:
These are the two personally highest rated games in my collection. I agree you can't go wrong with Carcassone, but i would like to make a case for Takenoko.

The strategy is deeper (imo) in Takenoko. You can play defensively by not placing tiles or by eating everything if your opponent is just taking gardening cards (as examples).

Again, I love Carcassone, but Takenoko is very fun - albeit - does have a luck component if you do not draw high point value cards.

Hope this helps you choose Takenoko in the future!

I already ordered Carcassonne, but Takenoko it's the next one! Thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.