BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Games that is fun, even when you suck at it. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mattias jansson
Sweden
Oskarshamn
flag msg tools
Its time to buy some new games. I always try to keep a diversity in my gaming collection.

This time im thinking on including a game for the misses. She enjoys boardgames that isnt skillbased competetive.

For exemple her favourite games are pandemic and Jamaica. Pandemic is a coop and Jamaica is very easygoing. The strange thing is, that she does not play other boardgames bad, she just dont connect with games that is competetive.

Since im looking for diversity another racing game is out of question (Camel Up,for exemple) and co-op.

I enjoy most games but dislike games with broken rules, so im open-minded about most games.

30-120 minutes is optimal, And the game can not be to complex. She plays Power Grid without a problem.

She does not shy from themed games like zombiegames or fantasy but she isnt a fan of it either.

The most important is the lack of SKILL based competetiveness, and ofcourse; that is fun to play :-)

//Mattias, not native speaker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yor wife sounds like mine, non skill based competetive.

She really likes

Escape, The Adventurers, Tiket to Ride, Pandemic, Last night on earth, Celestia, Holmes and Mycroft, Munchink(she loves the whimsical artwork),Run fight or Die. There are a few more , but all of those are competetive in some form but not skill based.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I always have fun playing Colt Express, whether or not I'm actually doing well. The 3d train and scenery help to make a playful environment, and the chaos that ensues when plans go wrong is fun to watch.

I think King of Tokyo is also pretty good as long as you have a good attitude going in. Success really does come down to dice rolls without much mitigation, but the fun artwork and short playtime make it easy to not take losses harshly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mattias jansson
Sweden
Oskarshamn
flag msg tools
Thanks for the reply.

Celestia looks reelly good, i will take a deeper look at it. What is your opinion on it exept that you wife like it?

I have been looking at Escape earlier, but i have a fear thats its more chaos then boardgame. I dont want to miss out on the social experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mattias jansson
Sweden
Oskarshamn
flag msg tools
Two very good games, but we already have both games in my gaming group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mease
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tobago, TIME Stories, Dungeon Petz, Concordia, Fields of Arle, Puerto Rico. Have fun!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Pasmeny
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have had a very positive experience with Clank! recently. It isn't very complex....but it is a lot of fun. Push you luck, deck builder with a board.

Everyone I've played with has enjoyed it a lot.

meeplemeeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mattias jansson
Sweden
Oskarshamn
flag msg tools
bpasmeny wrote:
Have had a very positive experience with Clank! recently. It isn't very complex....but it is a lot of fun. Push you luck, deck builder with a board.

Everyone I've played with has enjoyed it a lot.

:meeple::meeple:

Never heard about this one. The player elimination makes it more interesting for me them her, but i will look inte this one for myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Talisman (Revised 4th Edition) and its cousin Relic are simple, competitive, and not skill based, but generally run longer than 120 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
I wish I could play more games.
badge
Collecting games is not playing games.
mbmbmbmbmb
I will second Colt Express, it is such goofy fun and the theme is spot on.

I will add Dice City, which is one of my girlfriends favorites, enough choices to be interesting and you can choose to mess with your opponent but we don't do that. Build up your stuff, roll dice and then use your stuff to manipulate the dice or fire your powers. Great simple fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mattias jansson
Sweden
Oskarshamn
flag msg tools
Emu Prime wrote:
Talisman (Revised 4th Edition) and its cousin Relic are simple, competitive, and not skill based, but generally run longer than 120 minutes.

Agreed, but we have these to in The gaming group. Funny thing is that we dont have a big collection, we may have similiar gaming groups :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mattias jansson
Sweden
Oskarshamn
flag msg tools
IMCarnochan wrote:
I will second Colt Express, it is such goofy fun and the theme is spot on.

I will add Dice City, which is one of my girlfriends favorites, enough choices to be interesting and you can choose to mess with your opponent but we don't do that. Build up your stuff, roll dice and then use your stuff to manipulate the dice or fire your powers. Great simple fun.

Dice City may be a winner. Looks really good. Good suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mattias jansson
Sweden
Oskarshamn
flag msg tools
ReluctantFr0g wrote:
Tobago, TIME Stories, Dungeon Petz, Concordia, Fields of Arle, Puerto Rico. Have fun!!!

TIME is a game im pretty sure i would fall in love with myself. My fear is that its to "hippie" for my wife and my game group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Flurtis wrote:
Emu Prime wrote:

Agreed, but we have these to in The gaming group. Funny thing is that we dont have a big collection, we may have similiar gaming groups :-)

Ha, yeah it seems like you're already ahead of me. The only other games I could suggest that are chaotic, competitive, and fun even when not winning would be racing games, Steampunk Rally, Thunder Alley, and Formula D.

Edit: Haven't played this one myself, but have heard Las Vegas recommended before and it seems to fit the bill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan García
Mexico
Monterrey
Nuevo Leon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Karuba will fit as the game is all open information and very friendly.
Dixit is an awesome party game with great graphic design.
Takenoko is very good with the ladies as it looks very pretty and the game is actually quite good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel C
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Battletech. I have a hard time beating some people, especially the ones that plays that game religiously. Then again, chance might be on my side and I get that lucky head shot from the back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim H
Germany
flag msg tools
My wife loves Eldritch Horror although we loose more often than not...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Codenames or Codenames: Pictures
Kingsburg
Dungeon Fighter
Mechs vs. Minions

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Candace Mercer
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It might be too competitive but it is fun even if you are losing! Galaxy Trucker
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.