Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still in the research phase of my Kickstarter project, and the testing phase of my game, and wanted to talk about stretch goals.

What would you say is the best stretch goal you have seen, any why?

I'm also collecting ideas of what i could offer with my card game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The best stretch goals I have ever seen are the ones that simply upgrade component quality because being able to order in larger quantities reduces the PPU to the point that better quality can be ordered. The reason I like this is because it doesn't make me think that this will take longer to fulfill, it doesn't seem like a gimmick, it signals to me that the creator has probably done their sums, and I like to have games made of nice materials.

Seriously, if you are able to upgrade your cards to heavy stock, linen finish, that makes me happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anneke Zakoor
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also like having the cards be upgraded to linen finish quality. Extra cards that will be added for free are always nice, and even some Kickstarter exclusive freebies that only pledgers will get.
Some examples I have gotten through pledging card games on Kickstarter includes: A special plastic turn token, exclusive felt bag that card game fits in, and for a few games I've gotten full expansions of about +- 6 cards for free.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Stockwell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Another voice for upgraded components as the best stretch goal.

I go back and forth about additional content; on the one hand, it feels like I'm getting "more game" ... on the other hand, it feels like I get less game if enough people don't back.

Additional components -- so the game increases its upper player count -- is an interesting one I've seen before (e.g.: taking a game from 2-4 players, up to 2-6 players).

For several campaigns, I've also liked the reward of an additional [small] game as a stretch goal. However, I think that only works with a creator (designer) with a good 'track record' -- if it's your first or second design project, I'm not too sure the main and additional game will both be well-tuned and produced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
I second (third?) the idea of component quality as a good upgrade.

I would stay away from exclusives that change gameplay. Providing, say, alternate art cards for a couple cards or a box sleeve (though I dislike box sleeves) are good goals that give something extra to the KS backer, but you should not include anything in the KS that changes gameplay but will not be available later.

There are many people who will pass on a game later if they learn there's some bit of it they can't get. It's a weird fixation, but I think it's a real thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brettell
Australia
South Turramurra
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wombat929 wrote:
There are many people who will pass on a game later if they learn there's some bit of it they can't get. It's a weird fixation, but I think it's a real thing.

I get the fixation. It's like 'if I can't experience the WHOLE thing, then I'm concerned it will be a sub-par experience'. Same feeling when a company brings out the 2nd edition 'Oh okay so that's the REAL game, and I've just got your first attempt at it'.

Or is it just that we boardgamers all inherent completionists?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuele B.
Italy
Modena
flag msg tools
new user
Totally agree with upgraded components. thumbsup

It's always nice to play with high quality components, even better if they have an high durability (coff coff "Abyss" I'm talking with you...)

Adding more cards to the game is also a nice idea. I suggest to avoid adding new complex mechanics just for the new cards, unless you have deeply tested them.

I don't know how your game works, so maybe the following idea are not useful for you, but these are some suggestions I saw on others Kickstarter card game campaigns:

- Adding a play mat.
- Do players need to keep track of life points/mana/health/poison/angry pigeons? Maybe some tokens to do that may be useful. Or a dice.
- Box sleeve improvement (quality, durability, material, alternative art etc)
- Card sleeves.
- Artbook with illustration and sketches of your cards?

I suggest you look at others succesful Kickstarter card game campaigns to have more idea (Thief's market, Endangered Orphans, Crimson Creek, Exploding Kittens etc)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Culbertson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What do people think of adding variants as stretch goals? I think I remember seeing games add a solo or maybe 2-player variant if one didn't exist already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
JonasVenture wrote:
What do people think of adding variants as stretch goals? I think I remember seeing games add a solo or maybe 2-player variant if one didn't exist already.

I usually have two responses:

1 - if the variant doesn't require more components, then it shouldn't be a stretch goal. Design time isn't important to backers -- this is about raising capital. A variant doesn't that doesn't cost more to make shouldn't be a stretch goal.

2 - from a player perspective, I would be concerned that these variants hadn't had time to be playtested enough. If they WERE, why aren't they part of the game to begin with?

That said, if you have two player or solo variants that DO require additional components, that would be a possibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Upgraded component quality would also be my first pick. A close second are successively increasing discounts on shipping costs (as seen for example in The Dresden Files Cooperative Card Game)... basically a way for the creators to give back some of the savings from bigger production runs to the backers without changing the game at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Culbertson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
wombat929 wrote:
JonasVenture wrote:

I usually have two responses:

1 - if the variant doesn't require more components, then it shouldn't be a stretch goal. Design time isn't important to backers -- this is about raising capital. A variant doesn't that doesn't cost more to make shouldn't be a stretch goal.

2 - from a player perspective, I would be concerned that these variants hadn't had time to be playtested enough. If they WERE, why aren't they part of the game to begin with?

That said, if you have two player or solo variants that DO require additional components, that would be a possibility.

Great points! I'm mulling over a few potential projects and I'm running into issues coming up with ideas on one of them for stretch goals.

Would more components of a same type fall in line with what you're thinking? For example, a sci-fi game with a planet deck could have as a stretch goal more planet cards to add more variety?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake T
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
JonasVenture wrote:
Would more components of a same type fall in line with what you're thinking? For example, a sci-fi game with a planet deck could have as a stretch goal more planet cards to add more variety?

I often see this type of thing and I would appreciate a stretch goal like this. The higher quality components is also appealing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.