Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Fiend
United States
Avon Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone else have a problem with the RESURRECT rule that you can come back next to one of your Heroes? One campaign and we've abused this rule more than any other. We've used it to move objects past Monsters, get into hard to reach places simply by getting a Hero next to it then resurrecting there, block opponents from getting to goals, etc. I realize you are giving up the "Least Deaths" goal but that's a small price to pay for getting Titles/Rewards/Winning.

I'm changing it to resurrecting in your Guild's Starting Area ONLY.

And picking rewards cards is also questionable. Someone gets 2 GREAT (all items are not created equal) items and keeps them and passes the rest. If this happens 2 scenarios in a row (it did) then the rest of the players are screwed. I'm going with a Pick 1 and pass, Pick 2 and pass, Pick 3 then choose 2 to keep.

Lastly, when playing 2-players we have to complete 3 QUESTS (not 2) or the game is way too short. If there aren't enough PvE Quests to do this then you have to kill everyone in your Opponent's Guild (Counts as 2 Quests completed) before he completes the winning Quest. This has made for some really exciting games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davi Rosa
Brazil
Brasília
DF
flag msg tools
From the Dungeons and Dragons 80's cartoon. If only it was remade...
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the ressurrect rule as is because having to run all the way is just boring. Plus, doing those rez shenanigans is part of the fun. You already got killed, you get that as a small compensation.

On the other hand, the pick 1/2/3 rule sounds very noce. Might try it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott K.
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate the point, but I think the death curse for the next round is penalty enough to allow shenanigans.

The pick 1/2/3 rule is ok. I'm not sure how much this mitigates the luck, because you could still have two hands with poor cards hindering the next hand twice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jimzik wrote:
Lastly, when playing 2-players we have to complete 3 QUESTS (not 2) or the game is way too short. If there aren't enough PvE Quests to do this then you have to kill everyone in your Opponent's Guild (Counts as 2 Quests completed) before he completes the winning Quest. This has made for some really exciting games.

We've done something similar too as we play a lot of two-player. We've house ruled that you have to take out at least two of each other's guild.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asher Kennedy
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a fairly intentional design choice. A starting zone only rule would slow the game down by leading to more risk avoidant behavior and requiring a walk through enemy-less zones.

I saw this discussion on symmetric/asymmetric level design and immediately thought of AQ. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DynhzEQtog

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fiend
United States
Avon Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I saw this discussion on symmetric/asymmetric level design and immediately thought of AQ. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DynhzEQtog

I watched this about the asymmetrical design of Overwatch but feel it doesn't apply to Arcadia which I feel is pretty symmetrical in the board layout. The only asymmetrical strategy is how you use your Heroes unique abilities to the best advantage. I did like the theory of Spawning for Attacker/Defender but in Arcadia you are trying not only to eliminate your enemy but grab the Goal before they do. This is pretty hard when your enemy has a Block next to a Goal, you dislodge him and then he appears right there again before you can do anything! I've only played 2-player and this is a HUGE problem. If you have 2 Heroes blocking the door I want to go in and I kill one of them then I should have the opportunity to enter before you block it again.

But, I see you guy's point about Resurrecting close to the action.

So, new Hero Spawning idea. You Rest but you don't bring in your Hero until you can activate him on a future turn. He then he Spawns at that time and not during your Rest. Ex: Diva (with 10 Health) dies and is put on her card on the Dashboard. That player rests the next turn removing wounds and exhausts from all Heroes, etc. That player's next turn he activates Diva next to another of his Heroes with full move/attack capability.

This might just be a 2-player problem but you guys made me see a better fix. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spawning in the starting zone only would also lead to the possibility of having someone troll you with spawn camping. Leave a powerful hero in your spawn and just kill your characters again as soon as they respawn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.