Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt F
United States
Newcastle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if I missed this in the rules but:

When a player plays a switch card, do they also play a normal "race" card on that same turn?

I assume the answer is yes - otherwise, the switch cards are kind of weird in their use, especially with two players.

But when I searched through the instructions to find a specific "ruling" on this, I found nothing, and some of the wording made it seem like maybe you were only supposed to play one card per turn, period.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, a switch card swaps the indicated colors on a card you play with it at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt F
United States
Newcastle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
Yes, a switch card swaps the indicated colors on a card you play with it at the same time.

Great, thanks. This made the most sense to me.

That way, the player gets to play two "race" cards that will be switched, instead of just one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you play a race card, and then you play the switch to change which numbers apply to which colors. For example, if the race card you play is Orange 6 and Black 2, and you play Black-Orange switch, black moves 6 and orange moves 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt F
United States
Newcastle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
No, you play a race card, and then you play the switch to change which numbers apply to which colors. For example, if the race card you play is Orange 6 and Black 2, and you play Black-Orange switch, black moves 6 and orange moves 2.

Sorry, I should have been clearer - what I meant was, on Player A's turn, they play the switch card AND a race card; then all other players take their turns, while affected by the switch; then on PLAYER A's next turn, they get to play one more card that is affected by the switch. THEN the switch card is "done" and discarded. Correct?

So, for each switch card, the player who plays it, in TOTAL across two turns, gets to play two cards affected by the switch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:

I don't see this in the rules. Maybe we have a different edition. In my rules you can only play one card per turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt F
United States
Newcastle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drmark64 wrote:
sdiberar wrote:

I don't see this in the rules. Maybe we have a different edition. In my rules you can only play one card per turn.

Did you double-check that? I only ask because I, for some reason, thought I had read the same thing; but when I went back over the rules line-by-line, I couldn't find anything that explicitly says you only play one card per turn.

It also does seem weird (to me, at least) that you'd have to play a switch card, then not get to "use" the benefit of the switch until your following turn.

But, do let me know if you found a spot that mentions it specifically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did check it. The basic wording, though not super explicit, says on his turn a player must play a card...

I would expect that if one could play more than one card such an exception would be noted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt F
United States
Newcastle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drmark64 wrote:
I did check it. The basic wording, though not super explicit, says on his turn a player must play a card...

I would expect that if one could play more than one card such an exception would be noted.

Yeah, I saw that part, too. I took that specific wording more to be addressing the fact that you MUST play A card - you can't "skip" a turn (which could be beneficial in this game.)

That wording doesn't rule out the ability to play more than one card, and they also could have been more explicit in the opposite direction; e.g., "on his turn a player must play one - and only one - card." etc.

I'm not sure what to think.

It seems that this game allows for a little wiggle room in the rules (e.g., there are some "variants" listed at the end) so we might just play it as a house rule that you get to play the switch and a race card on the same turn, unless we hear definitively otherwise.

[EDIT]

UNLESS... I guess it's possible that playing a switch card and a race card on the same turn is too powerful? And that's why you would play the switch as your entire turn, and only get to "use" it on your following turn - and in the meantime, somebody might have mucked up your plan!

I don't know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I just looked at the rule myself and I've been playing it wrong. You play the switch card as your play for the turn, and until the END of your next turn those colors are swapped.

The more you know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt F
United States
Newcastle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
Well I just looked at the rule myself and I've been playing it wrong. You play the switch card as your play for the turn, and until the END of your next turn those colors are swapped.

The more you know.

Are you referencing the same text that DrMark found, or did you find another spot in the rules that mentions only playing one card/using your entire turn to play a switch card?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
I don't have the rules in front of me, but I thought you played a switch card instead of a race card. Then on your following turn you would play a race card in which the colors would be switched (as well as everyone else between you playing the switch card and race card.)

Playing a switch card and race card on the same turn would make the switch cards better I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt F
United States
Newcastle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drmark64 wrote:

I reread all the rules as well, and I think the intention is that playing a switch card does constitute an entire turn. It's definitely not explicitly stated, but there are multiple "hints/mentions" that a player plays ONE card per turn, period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.