Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Henry
United States
Manvel
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Back in January, researchers at Caltech discovered evidence of a possible ninth planet, roughly ten times more massive than Earth and out way beyond Pluto.

Planet Nine in Outerspace

Now they are hypothesizing that its existence is the cause of the Sun's rotation being tilted by six degrees relative to the plane of the other planets.

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Curious_tilt_of_the_Sun_tr...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Knight
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last week Dan Dixon was giving me a tour of http://universesandbox.com/ in VR. One of the many rad simulations to play with was the 9th planet. It was super cool.

He said, if the 9th planet exists, astronomers expect to find it within the next 5 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait a minute. There were 9 planets most of my life. Then they cut it down to 8. Now it's 9 again? Shenanigans, I say!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought we were up to 11 or so?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Me nah play no 'ide and seek
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:

I think there would have been if they hadn't drafted the definitions to exclude Pluto.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toku42 wrote:
galad2003 wrote:

I think there would have been if they hadn't drafted the definitions to exclude Pluto.

Turns out I was thinking of dwarf planets. I was thinking of Eris and some others they discovered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
10x more massive than Earth.. would it have that much of an influence on the sun at such a (small) size and such a huge distance away? If that's so it would also have to have extreme influences on the other 8 planets.. is that observable as well? (random thoughts).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Erik17 wrote:
Back in January, researchers at Caltech discovered evidence of a possible ninth planet, roughly ten times more massive than Earth and out way beyond Pluto.

Planet Nine in Outerspace

Now they are hypothesizing that its existence is the cause of the Sun's rotation being tilted by six degrees relative to the plane of the other planets.

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Curious_tilt_of_the_Sun_tr...

79strat wrote:
10x more massive than Earth.. would it have that much of an influence on the sun at such a (small) size and such a huge distance away? If that's so it would also have to have extreme influences on the other 8 planets.. is that observable as well? (random thoughts).

My thoughts exactly -- 6% is a huge shift for a planet as small as Neptune that far out. Weirdly, when I googled this event, I found this article, on Science that talks about the strangely tilted orbit but says nothing about the sun...

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/01/feature-astronomers-s...

But perhaps with the extra brainpower being directed in that direction, these alternate studies are emerging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Seal of Approval
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:
Wait a minute. There were 9 planets most of my life. Then they cut it down to 8. Now it's 9 again? Shenanigans, I say!

I wanted to thumb your post, but you had exactly 9 thumbs. I couldn't do that to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:
Damn Cybermen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
The Plutonians are just extracting their revenge for being kicked out of the club.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
Asperamanca wrote:
joe_salamone wrote:

I wanted to thumb your post, but you had exactly 9 thumbs. I couldn't do that to you.
Now it's at eleven. A couple dwarf thumbs snuck in there I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Tom
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
79strat wrote:

Is it possible that this ninth planet affects the tilt of all other planets/bodies, except the sun, which is too far away/huge to be affected?
If so, could it merely be that the sun is actually on a "correct" tilt, but six degrees out from our perspective?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TomTi89 wrote:
79strat wrote:

Is it possible that this ninth planet affects the tilt of all other planets/bodies, except the sun, which is too far away/huge to be affected?
If so, could it merely be that the sun is actually on a "correct" tilt, but six degrees out from our perspective?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axial_tilt

Based on the chart under solar system bodies it seems that it's more "correct" for planetary bodies to BE tilted than NOT be tilted. From what I know most tilts are caused by -huge- impacts, of which I'm sure the sun has had it's fair share in its early days. I just think "those" would have affected its tilt more than a 9th planet that is 200AU away... but maybe it's gravitational pull at perihelion which did influence the sun that much... but whose to say stars are "born" with a "correctly" tilted axis anyways...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area / Currently I sponsor gaming groups in Monroe & Alexandria, LA.
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Gee Whiz wrote:
Last week Dan Dixon was giving me a tour of http://universesandbox.com/ in VR. One of the many rad simulations to play with was the 9th planet. It was super cool.

He said, if the 9th planet exists, astronomers expect to find it within the next 5 years.

To the late Zecharia Sitchin, this would have struck him as old news. And although he first wrote about what would later become better known as the Nemesis Planet Theory in his 1976 seminal work "The 12th Planet", Sitchin got the inspiration for his theory from his inferential interpretation of ancient Sumerian writings about the Annunaki, the advanced beings to whom the ancient Sumerians attributed as the bringers of civilization to humankind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area / Currently I sponsor gaming groups in Monroe & Alexandria, LA.
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nibiru, The Legendary Wandering Planet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.