Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mac Kern
United States
Bowling Green
KY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Say I want to go whaling with the space in the third column. I don't have any spears, but I have two whaling boats loaded with a total of three ore. Additionally, I have a few pieces of wood in my supply. My chances are are pretty good, am I allowed to use this action without a spear? The rulebook doesn't seem to indicate that I'm not allowed (unless I missed something), but reading through the appendix, the following wording gives me reason to doubt:

You need the “bow and arrow” weapon card to be successful
when “Hunting Game.” Snares are required when “Laying a
Snare.” Your Vikings use spears for “Whaling.” Long swords
improve your dice rolls for “Raiding” and “Pillaging.”

The use of the words "need" and "require" make me think I have to possess at least one of the relevant weapon card to even take the corresponding action. Conversely, the wording here seems to imply that I can take a raid or pillaging action without a long sword.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Logan
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
My reading of the rules has them not being prerequisites. And if for some reason it is a prerequisite, wood would act as a "wild" weapon.

There is a section where they tell you always to spend weapons before spending wood because wood is more versatile. I this will would be bad advise if weapons were actually prerequisites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Kern
United States
Bowling Green
KY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:
There is a section where they tell you always to spend weapons before spending wood because wood is more versatile. I this will would be bad advise if weapons were actually prerequisites.

Thanks, I forgot about that passage--that's what I initially used to decide that weapons weren't a prerequisite, only to get confused by the appendix. The appendix also mentions that wood is used "as a weapon for hunting," so I'll continue to play that way unless I hear official word otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Boe
Denmark
Odder
DK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the only spots where anything is a prerequisite is the 10 sailing spots that has the text/icons "with [boat]", mostly knarr/longboat (except for Shetland or Faroe Islands, where a whaling boat can be used).

/René

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dok Indigo
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

You do need at least one whaling boat to go whaling. Spears are not needed.

The appendix is not the rules. It just gives examples on what you might need for something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Jamieson
United States
Midway City
California
flag msg tools
mb
To succeed at hunting, trapping, and whaling you must have a final roll of zero. When whaling, ore reduces your roll, so weapons are entirely optional. When hunting and trapping, you must spend at least one wood or weapon to get a total of zero. They are not prerequisites, but you need them to succeed (as you quoted from the rules). You could take the action and fail automatically to acquire them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.