Food Chain Magnate» Forums » General

Subject: Better without milestone's? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rupert Defossez
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
Is a game of FCM better with or without milestones?

After a few plays with milestones, my gaming group came to a conclusion, that the milestones turn the game into a race game to get the most ( importent ) ones. Some of them create runaway leaders at certain points , they speed up the game at certain points, sometimes so fast that it becomes hard to catch up. people can be left out, have to change strategie but there is no time, a few turns later you are running behind ... and by the time you find a spot to hurt the runneway leaders the gap is so big , you can't close it anymore. we come to the conclusion that without the milestones, the game lasts a little bit longer. it gives you more time to train and plan a good worker pyramid. the game becomes smoother , more realistic, it gives you more time to adept your strategy. the scores at the end are much closer. Everybody has a chance.
The game itself keeps it beauty, its still tough, but not punishing as it is with the milestones

are there people feeling the same?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keusch
United States
Ann Arbor
MI
flag msg tools
It's hard to remember we're alive for the first time. It's hard to remember we're alive for the last time.
mbmbmbmbmb
I fail to see how it would be much of a game without the milestones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rupert Defossez
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
have you played without?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Michel Petit
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If your feeling is that the game is funnier without the milestones, who are we to question that?

The goal is to have fun with your friends.

With that said, I think if the milestones are played correctly, they shouldn't impact your game that much. Evidently, if nobody's paying attention to what the others are doing while playing, milestones are harsh as hell.

Anyhow, I think that in general, milestones are only accelerating the game, a game that is, most of the time, concluded well before the "real" end.

With my friends, we agreed that once the clear winner is going to wipe us all, it's time to end the game if there is a consensus. That way, we can play another game. That's a win-win situation.

So, I digress...back to the original question : playing without the milestones? Not in my group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
There are no milestones which cannot be countered.

First to Hire 3 and First to train have equal power.

If you don't have First to throw away, pick up the Chefs.

First waitress counters missing First to train.

First to have $20 is just a small amount of information and doesn't need a counter.

First to have $100 is countered by having the CFO.

First to lower prices is situational, to be used when your restaurants are close, and is countered by the Discount Manager

First to train can be countered by picking up First to Hire 3 and First to Throw Away

First burger produced and First pizza produced are situational, but good for when you want Chefs and only have Trainers to train up to them. They are countered by some combination of grey employees that gets you Chefs or lots of Cooks.

First errand boy is invaluable when a limited supply of drink is on the table, but only somewhat valuable otherwise. Mostly it leads into First to throw away usually.

First cart operator is, again, situational. Countered by Zepplin Pilot and First errand boy.

First to pay $20 in salaries is generally a midgame threat countered by Coach and Guru.

First billboard is my least favorite milestone and is countered by good supply, low prices, and by snagging the First airplane/First radio. (Both in a two-player game, the latter in a multi-player game.)

First burger marketed, First pizza marketed, First drink marketed are all useful, countered by low prices and especially alternate marketing campaigns.

First airplane is countered by the 10x Executive Vice President.

First radio is countered by having a ton of food and drink in production or supply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Glimme
United States
California
flag msg tools
The milestones are where almost all the game is for me. They provide most of the strategy and cutthroat tactics. I have played the intro game that doesn't use milestones, but it just didn't feel like a complete game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rupert Defossez
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
THX for all the reactions:
just one more thing, for us with the milestones the opening moves are more restricted limited, like in a game of chess. you do that , i do that , so you do that because he will get this, and so on...
For us after a couple of games with the milestones, and learning how to play the game , without the milestones it felt like a relief to be free in the beginning , ...
anyway , thx for the reactions,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O.Shane Balloun
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
I will play as the Atreides, Bene Gesserit, Emperor, Fremen, Guild, or Harkonnen.
badge
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
mbmbmbmbmb
TheUbiquitous wrote:
First to have $20 is just a small amount of information and doesn't need a counter.

Grasshopper, you are mistaken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
To be fair, I have mostly played two-player and basically always choose $300 ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max G
South Africa
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played without milestones but I am curious about other peoples experiences?

I do feel it could open the game up a bit and create a more measured dynamic game. It would definitely remove the need to go for Trainer or RG first turn which would be refreshing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rupert Defossez
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
it goes much slower in the beginning , no one has the money for payday yet.
( the milestone "first to train someone" normally gives) so the Trainer is useless in the first turns waitresses and campaign becomes more important.
everybody has more choices,it feels more natural like starting a real bussiness.

first to "receive 100" milestone race is gone! you want CFO you have to train one.

for us is much more fun, endscores are much closer , everybody starts the same ,
the game after a few rounds get more tense , no one has refrigerator , the numbers on the campaigns and houses become much more important, ...

I think people who know the game really should try leave the milestones out again and give it a go. you will feel free, equal, but still mean CEO,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.