16 Posts

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Custom Game Components? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
adam phillipe

Oregon
msg tools
So.. I finally caved and after a year plus of reading solo rules/reviews I picked up Mage Knight. Like many others though I feel like the components are pretty cheap and take away from the overall experience.

Are there any third party companies/people that have made custom components for this game to bring it to life a bit more?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to use acrylic crystals instead of the dull plastic mana tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While this isn't exactly what you asked, there are printable cards in the files section here which clearly lay out which colors of defender each city has at each level. They're much better than trying to read the symbols inside the Clix bases. Highly recommended.

Acrylic ice makes good crystals. You can also get a bag of mixed color wedding filler at a craft store that will probably cover white/blue/red/green mana, though maybe not black and gold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drunk Celt
United States
California
flag msg tools
Benkyo wrote:
I like to use acrylic crystals instead of the dull plastic mana tokens.

Never heard of those so I googled them up - ooh I'm tempted to do the same

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
greg rouq
France
flag msg tools
Tile card deck is also usefull.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy O
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I replaced the Mana crystals with small tumbled stones. Full details of what I used in this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Arnold
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep thinking I'll try the ones in the BGG Store: http://boardgamegeekstore.com/products/translucent-plastic-g...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It wasn't a rock
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use Looney Pyramids instead of the ugly and poorly differentiated mana crystals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drunk Celt
United States
California
flag msg tools
loving hearing about your ideas - keep them coming!

I have Broken Token insert but it doesn't look like it will fit all expansions so I'm trying to come up with ideas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bruhl
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
As far as custom components go I actually enjoy all the pieces that came with the game. I have no reason to replace anything.

I decided to stay away from the custom inserts that you can get from Daedalus or Broken Token and went with some cheap jewelry plastic cases you can find at wal mart.

If I can figure out how to upload pictures I can show you how I did my insert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drunk Celt
United States
California
flag msg tools
MeurigVIi wrote:
As far as custom components go I actually enjoy all the pieces that came with the game. I have no reason to replace anything.

I decided to stay away from the custom inserts that you can get from Daedalus or Broken Token and went with some cheap jewelry plastic cases you can find at wal mart.

If I can figure out how to upload pictures I can show you how I did my insert.

Please do!!! I'm not sure how either but I think you upload to imgur.com for free then enter the url of that picture to the "insert external image" icon above the subject line

EDIT: Never mind you did it already. Looks good I'll have to check out those cases next time I hit a store

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bruhl
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
That has all the expansions in it.

Word of caution. If you have OCD like I do then the little circular cases that are holding the monsters are going to bother you. They do not sit in there perfectly (at an ever so slight angle). However those jewelry cases come in a pack of 12 I believe and fit all of the monsters in a single one each except for the green ones.

The large jewelry cases attach to each other and house a character each. The extra ones have one dedicated to shrines, the small graveyard tokens and all the expansion items.

You would only need 4 card boxes if you sleeve all the cards like I did. If you don't you may only need the two.

The large yellow card box houses all the minatutes.

I am absolutely passionate about this game and am always willing to chat about it. I usually only play this solo . May be the pride and joy of my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drunk Celt
United States
California
flag msg tools
I'm a sleever

The yellow box, is it from Ultra Pro as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bruhl
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Yuppers, accidentally stumbled upon that box at Walmart as well.

If your curious... the rubber banded cards just sitting in there are cards that were replaced with the expansions. I didn't have the heart to just throw them away.

If you haven't bought the expansions yet you can ignore the talk of odd sized components now. The Shades of Texas expansion has the same size components and cards now. I dunno if they decided to reprint it or whatever but the OCD man in me has become happy about it.

HOWEVER The Lost Legion land tiles drive me insane. Their tiles are a lighter shade on the back side. The only way I can truly randomize those tiles now are shuffling without looking lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drunk Celt
United States
California
flag msg tools
MeurigVIi wrote:
Yuppers, accidentally stumbled upon that box at Walmart as well.

If your curious... the rubber banded cards just sitting in there are cards that were replaced with the expansions. I didn't have the heart to just throw them away.

If you haven't bought the expansions yet you can ignore the talk of odd sized components now. The Shades of Texas expansion has the same size components and cards now. I dunno if they decided to reprint it or whatever but the OCD man in me has become happy about it.

HOWEVER The Lost Legion land tiles drive me insane. Their tiles are a lighter shade on the back side. The only way I can truly randomize those tiles now are shuffling without looking lol.

Cool I just got Shades of Tezla but I haven't played expansions yet, I wanted to master the vanilla game first. I need to compare tiles and cards and request replacement if appropriate.

I saw two possible solutions re: tiles. One person started the pile from the bottom instead of from the top and had a dummy tile on the top.

Other one is that someone created a set of cards for tiles so you can shuffle the cards instead of tiles. The problem is it doesn't look like their set includes LL tiles. I was hoping to go down that route but I need to figure out how to duplicate their design for LL tiles.

As for the OP, I just saw this, maybe this will be a nice replacement for crystals? http://boardgamegeekstore.com/products/translucent-plastic-g...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bruhl
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
And now thanks to you I have to play a game tonight...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.