Hide
10 Posts

Defenders of the Realm» Forums » General

Subject: Any chance we'll get the Troll Alliance expansion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Lin
msg tools
I recall there being a poll for the most wanted addition to the game, and the Troll Alliance was the clear winner. I'm most interested in how the epic card battle system works with the enemy generals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonja Reznikov
Canada
North York
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this game.

I was so excited for this when the news came out but then after so much delays perhaps mainly due to lack of sales of the base game and/or other expansions I am still hoping this will become reality.

I hope one day it will appear.

I made my own Troll expansion:

A female General with her yellow Troll minions marching from the North by the river and spreading across the realm. This General who was a female hero at one point was expelled from the capital and she promised to have revenge and destroy the capital and since she was unable to do it alone, she used her beauty to charm the Troll minions and it worked.
The Troll minions followed her to hell.

Her personal power came from charming the Heroes (male or female), if the hero shared the territory with the female General, the female General Always rolled first and on the result of 5 or 6 the hero was charmed.

Her Troll minions also did not have any alliance with the other generals.
Although her goal was to capture the Capital City, she also did not care of the other generals. so if her minions shared the space with other minions
fight will begin.

So this General and her minions could essentially have a double edge sword for both the Heroes and the other Generals.

The Hero could kill the Troll Minions with the die roll of 4,5 or 6 however if the hero rolls a
1, the number of trolls in the same territory doubles.

We use it in our gaming group and it works well.
I also made another Purple female General and her purple Hydra minions...

Sorry got carried away...Apologies

Sonja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Lin
msg tools
I really like your troll general variant. I'm interested in playing it. A couple additional details if you wouldn't mind:

1) When a hero is charmed by the troll General, what happens to the hero?

2) Does the troll General replace one of the 4 generals? or did you use another mechanic for her as a 5th general? If as a 5th general, how does she and the trolls come into play?

3)How are fights between the trolls and other minions resolved?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonja Reznikov
Canada
North York
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

1) When a hero is charmed by the troll General, what happens to the hero?
Response-The Hero becomes captive and placed in the general starting point.

2) Does the troll General replace one of the 4 generals? or did you use another mechanic for her as a 5th general? If as a 5th general, how does she and the trolls come into play?
Response- Yes, this is correct, you replace the Troll General with the Undead General. i created a location (Dead Lands) on the map in the north part to allow starting point for the Troll General however we have
had sessions which we just replaced the Troll General and her minions with any other generals by just simply removing the starting point for the old general and placing the troll general on the same location, so this way the undead general could also play in a same session as the Troll.
(during setup we just simply exchange yellow minions on the darkness spread cards with the minion colour we are not using).

3)How are fights between the trolls and other minions resolved?
Response- Select a same matching colour of Die for each minion (including yellow die for each Troll minion, roll the dice, look at the number of hit requirement for each type of minion and remove the casualties.

I hope I have not side tracked your post here and I hope designer/Publisher is ok with me posting my home made Troll expansion.

Perhaps I should have started new post under variants ?

Sonja
Edit- Sorry my English and grammar is not well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rivera
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is impressive. This General might be the most difficult one to beat !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Lin
msg tools
Thank you so much for your response and for uploading those pictures, it really helps. Don't worry your English is fine. I look forward to playing this variant. I'm sure Richard Launius is totally ok with this variant being posted. Hopefully he'll consider reviving his Troll Alliance project.
I think it would be great if you posted your other variants as well, if you wanted to
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
Sonja, this is wonderful. So if a hero is charmed and imprisoned, do they ever get out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonja Reznikov
Canada
North York
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments.

Yes, The Hero remains in the Deadlands and serves the Troll General. The only way out is for other heroes come to rescue by marching to the Dead Lands and kill the Troll Minions occupying the land.

In my opinion this is a neat system because in a cooperative game If you are playing with us and your hero is now in prison, we have to travel north and rescue you and at the same time we are aware that coming and rescuing you is prohibiting us to defend the realm.

I used the image of Dead Lands form the playmat I own.

Yes, I designed another General and her purple Hydra Minions (all female) and 3 Heroes (all female)..
I hope to post all of these in one Variant and we have so much fun with these new stuff. I do not know if I can post the images as some of the images of the Heroes are from Larry Elmore.... This is just for playing at home with my Girlfriends and sharing them with you guyz and there is no more than that but not sure if this is allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Hopefully he'll consider reviving his Troll Alliance project

This has less to do with Richard and more to do with the publisher. Richard's already submitted a lot of material that hasn't been published.

One thing we can do as fans is be a little less critical during Kickstarters. I know Eagle/Gryphon has earned some of the scorn directed at them; but if the community makes the process really unpleasant, it impacts the release schedule. The fan committee and the hiring of Ian Dudley are good moves towards correcting the situation, and I'm hopeful future game expansions and community relations improve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Yes, I designed another General and her purple Hydra Minions (all female) and 3 Heroes (all female). I hope to post all of these in one Variant and we have so much fun with these new stuff. I do not know if I can post the images as some of the images of the Heroes are from Larry Elmore....

You're an excellent person for taking copyright considerations into account. I have some suggestions that can help you out.

First, there's a totally legal way to release your characters with the added bonus of pre-painted figures. I've detailed it all right here in this thread:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1500482/help-custom-charact...

Since I mentioned law, now would be a good time for me to point out that I'm not a lawyer and you should direct any questions to a licensed attorney.

If you're still committed to using Larry Elmore artwork, on a practical level, it's unlikely you would face legal action because you aren't profiting off his work. Your greatest risk would come from other rights holders - Hasbro, etc - who may have licensed/commissioned Larry Elmore's artwork. The companies may have to object to your infringement in order to protect their copyright. Typically, this involves filing a complaint to you and/or BGG's admins, with the resolution being your removal of the offending files with no monetary fines (and since it's the Internet, your creation will live forever on somebody's server.)

If you're going to infringe, you might like to use some official Larry Elmore figures from Dark Sword Miniatures:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1607042/get-your-larry-...

They license Larry Elmore's artwork, so I'm sure they'd appreciate the business, and indirectly you'd be providing some compensation to Larry Elmore by buying products from a company that pays him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.