Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Martin
United States
Fort Leavenworth
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My grey components - minions and the mine - seem to be sticky. Has anyone else noticed this? I'm assuming it's the wash / varnish / finish. Will it dry?

A few years back I messed up painting a some other board game minis with matte varnish, and they are sticky to this day. I'm hoping this will not be the case with these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dizz
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I'm sorry to hear that.
Just received my copy in the mail today. The minions are not currently sticky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Webb
United States
Edmonds
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah mine are sticky too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for posting this. I was going to create a thread earlier but have waited to see if the issue resolved itself with time.

Yes, I noticed this as well. A number of minions in my game are quite sticky and leave a residue on your hands after handling. A serious issue for someone who keeps his games in pristine condition (no sticky food fingers allowed).

I left these components out and am hoping they will dry... but so far no improvement.

Anyone else?

Edit: any suggestions to resolve this on our own? Perhaps some crafty individuals can recommend a clear coat spray?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I'm looking into this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have several sticky minions as well. It seems especially sticky on the back of the figures that have the problem. Also from what I can tell it doesn't seem limited to a specific pose or tray.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance House
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
You could spray them with a dullcoat varnish like Testors dullcoat or similar, that would coat them and dries very nicely. It's what I use on all the miniatures I paint.

Still annoying that you need to do this as 100 mini's would be most of a can and that's $10 you probably didn't need to spend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Allen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Interesting, I didn't notice anything with the 5-10 minions I handled the other day.. I'll have to dig into my box tonight and double check that I don't have this problem.

EDIT: Can confirm, I also have sticky minions. Noticed it the most on the shield of a minion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Boelk
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Sticky minions here as well. Kinda bummed, all the hassle to get the game and it's sticky

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Watkins
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed some sticky minions as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Larnz wrote:
You could spray them with a dullcoat varnish like Testors dullcoat or similar, that would coat them and dries very nicely. It's what I use on all the miniatures I paint.

Still annoying that you need to do this as 100 mini's would be most of a can and that's $10 you probably didn't need to spend.

Thanks for the suggestion in regards to a spray coat.

Any idea if applying a little heat would do it? It could cause the wet wash to cure (if that's the problem). I'm thinking of blowdrying one. I'll report back if that works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm still waiting on my box (due Thursday) but maybe the people in this thread might want to include shipping date or order number or something so they can tell if its all from the same batch. Or if the productions batches can even be figured out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Holmes
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sticky here as well.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd B
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How sticky we talking here? I've handled many of the minions in my copy and haven't noticed anything unusual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Allen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Livewire6 wrote:
How sticky we talking here? I've handled many of the minions in my copy and haven't noticed anything unusual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank La Terra
Australia
flag msg tools
Maybe people are getting over excited?

(I'll see myself out)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jay
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SilverBirch wrote:
Larnz wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion in regards to a spray coat.

Any idea if applying a little heat would do it? It could cause the wet wash to cure (if that's the problem). I'm thinking of blowdrying one. I'll report back if that works.

As a warning, a spray coating on improperly cured paint can cause cloudy clear coating. It is a risk, I'd recommend trying it on one really bad one and letting it dry to see how it ends up. Coatings that were put on too thick or with a ton of humidity may never really full cure properly as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolai
United States
flag msg tools
I, too, have some sticky minions. Box #8,902. Noticed it almost immediately when I cracked everything open yesterday, but wasn't too worried about it because I figured it was the wash, and would become less sticky over time. Played the tutorial and first two missions today, and definitely still noticed it, but it didn't bother me much. Checking again now, some are definitely more sticky than others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Posted about this in another thread the other day, but for continuity, figured I would post here. I also have sticky minions. Box 6963. I have not had a chance to let them air out, but I plan to open them up and maybe put them in the garage for a few days? I live in Arizona so its still decently hot here (not crazy hot anymore), and there is not really humidity. Good idea or bad?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess it's the solvent reacting to the plastic. Frex, with Reaper Bones miniature plastic, some spray primers will result in the miniature being tacky after painting. Try some Dullcote. You can get it at Michael's, with a 40% off coupon.

EDIT: Try Stephen's idea first!

If you don't mind unpainted miniatures, you can dunk the mini's in Super Clean, Simple Green, or 90% isopropyl alcohol. I prefer Super Clean to strip mini's, although you should wear gloves (and use chopsticks) when handling it. This should strip the mini's of the "wash" that's on the miniatures. (Most washes hobby painters use are water-based, so I don't know exactly what ink or whatever was used on these minions. For all we know, they could have used a different ink or whatever on some miniatures, resulting in sticky ones.)

See these threads about a wash directly on plastic:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/169000/battlelore
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/372430/ink-washing-miniatur...

Tackiness and plastic miniatures:
http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=339525
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/840044/minis-still-tacky
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A bowl of warm water with a drop of dish soap, Place the minion in the bowl for 30 seconds. This may wake some of the wash off of it but it will take the "sticky" feeling away
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R S
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
n3burgener wrote:
I, too, have some sticky minions. Box #8,902. Noticed it almost immediately when I cracked everything open yesterday, but wasn't too worried about it because I figured it was the wash, and would become less sticky over time. Played the tutorial and first two missions today, and definitely still noticed it, but it didn't bother me much. Checking again now, some are definitely more sticky than others.

Same here. Box #5104.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Martin
United States
Fort Leavenworth
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where do you see the box number? I see an order number, but not a box number.

Found it: 9149

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristijan Petrovski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sticky goo too. Can soap and water do the trick? I didn't have time to experiment yesterday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Soap and water didn't work for me. I've placed mine directly in front of a central heating register and will see if that works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.