Subject: Expansion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,
I just got second edition as KS. We LOVE it. I didn't bought any of the expansion, hence I`m looking into them. Couple of questions:

1. The moon expansion was release after 2ed so I assume art and such is compatible. what about archfield?
2. By reviewing BGG and MM, it seems that no much villagers have being added; they mostly add Monster deck. Also no new skills/action/attacks, is that correct? No expansion adds these?

from BGG
Quote:
Archfiends expands the cooperative deckbuilding game Shadowrift. The Archfiend will have its own special deck that allows it to wade into the middle of the heroes and wreck all their plans for saving the town. There are six Archfiend decks - one keyed to each of the six monster factions from the Shadowrift base game. Will you emerge from the battle victorious? Or will the Archfiend see you bloody, battered and beaten?

so this expansion is 6 monster deck? that`s it? thanks. I know it adds replay, but 40us... hmmmmmmm. I was hoping the "big" expansion would have some walls, villagers or skills/actions/attacks...

From BGG, even of the sickle moon expansion

Quote:
This expansion adds two new monster factions:

• The Lycanthrope faction consists of were-animals in many shapes and sizes. They all bear the common theme that they're able to bite villagers and spread their curse, and that when the full moon rises they become more powerful.

• The Harrowood faction is a forest that has been twisted into a violent hatred of humanity by the opening of the Shadowrifts. They can create Overgrowths, which empower their faction and speed the town's destruction.

To fight back against these foes, the heroes have four new hero cards with druidic power and four new hero cards with Elementalist powers. Three new villagers and a Wall are also included.

sound nice.

3. do you rec one over the other? archfiends sound like a nice mechanic to add, worth the price tag?

4. Also, I noticed that my 2ed box has a LOT of espace available. I remember reading that the Moon expansion would fit completely, cant find this info again. Could someone confirm this? Does even of the sickle moon expansion fit on the 2ed box? what about archfiend expansion?

5. should I wait for the expansion coming in 2017? do we know anything about that one? KS? when?

thanks

EDIT creators in case @Jeremy and team read this: I`m wondering why 2 expansion later and no skills/villagers/attack have being added? (except 3-4 on EotM) Are you considering doing so in the future? near future? thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Anderson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
chang_1910 wrote:
Hi all,
I just got second edition as KS. We LOVE it. I didn't bought any of the expansion, hence I`m looking into them. Couple of questions:

1. The moon expansion was release after 2ed so I assume art and such is compatible. what about archfield?
2. By reviewing BGG and MM, it seems that no much villagers have being added; they mostly add Monster deck. Also no new skills/action/attacks, is that correct? No expansion adds these?

from BGG
Quote:
Archfiends expands the cooperative deckbuilding game Shadowrift. The Archfiend will have its own special deck that allows it to wade into the middle of the heroes and wreck all their plans for saving the town. There are six Archfiend decks - one keyed to each of the six monster factions from the Shadowrift base game. Will you emerge from the battle victorious? Or will the Archfiend see you bloody, battered and beaten?

so this expansion is 6 monster deck? that`s it? thanks. I know it adds replay, but 40us... hmmmmmmm. I was hoping the "big" expansion would have some walls, villagers or skills/actions/attacks...

From BGG, even of the sickle moon expansion

Quote:
This expansion adds two new monster factions:

• The Lycanthrope faction consists of were-animals in many shapes and sizes. They all bear the common theme that they're able to bite villagers and spread their curse, and that when the full moon rises they become more powerful.

• The Harrowood faction is a forest that has been twisted into a violent hatred of humanity by the opening of the Shadowrifts. They can create Overgrowths, which empower their faction and speed the town's destruction.

To fight back against these foes, the heroes have four new hero cards with druidic power and four new hero cards with Elementalist powers. Three new villagers and a Wall are also included.

sound nice.

3. do you rec one over the other? archfiends sound like a nice mechanic to add, worth the price tag?

4. Also, I noticed that my 2ed box has a LOT of espace available. I remember reading that the Moon expansion would fit completely, cant find this info again. Could someone confirm this? Does even of the sickle moon expansion fit on the 2ed box? what about archfiend expansion?

5. should I wait for the expansion coming in 2017? do we know anything about that one? KS? when?

thanks

EDIT creators in case @Jeremy and team read this: I`m wondering why 2 expansion later and no skills/villagers/attack have being added? (except 3-4 on EotM) Are you considering doing so in the future? near future? thanks

2nd Edition is another edition of the base game, with the 6 monster decks and 20 Hero card stacks of 1st Edition, plus 4 extra Hero stacks we released for the KS.

Archfiends is a set of 6 nasty sets of bonus effects to make the challenge of those monster decks more...challenging.
It also includes Heroic Titles, which let players customize their character build a little more during the game.

Sickle Moon is 2 monster decks and 8 Hero card stacks. So it's more of a direct expansion of the 2nd Edition base. It also included 4 Town cards earned during the KS.
New Skills, Villagers, and Attacks are present in Sickle Moon, and more will be present in the next expansion when that comes out.

The reason there weren't any in Archfiends is it was designed not to be shuffled in with other decks - It's played entirely off to the side - allowing it to be playable with both 1st and 2nd Edition even though they have different card sizes. So there couldn't be any of the standard card types in that print run.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Douglas
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
chang_1910 wrote:
Hi all,

I would recommend Sickle Moon over Archfiends. I received my Sickle Moon a couple days ago (haven't played it yet), but I did read a lot of cards while putting it in the 2nd edition box and it looks good. Adds new cards for more variety without introducing new mechanics.

I kickstarted Archfiends and played it a few times with 1st edition and while I enjoyed making the game harder, I did not like having another deck to keep up with. There is not much upkeep, but there is already enough going on in the game for me. I play solo most times (2 hands/decks) and I prefer the more streamlined base game w/o Archfiends.

Unfortunately Hurricane/Trop Storm Matthew flooded my basement last month and Archfiends was on a bottom shelf and didn't make it. I was hoping to see how it played with the new more streamlined 2nd edition, but I don't think I will replace Archfiends. If Sickle Moon had been ruined, I would replace it if that indicates which expansion I prefer. Just my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks both! I misunderstood the content of sickle moon in BGG.

I pre-ordered. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.