Popular Tags: [View All]
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
Lost in thought.
mbmbmb
This classic tile laying stock game of mergers and acquisitions remains engaging despite its lackluster components and simple game play.
Arguably Sid's finest design which has stood the test of time.

SYNOPSIS
Numbered and lettered tiles are placed from one's hand in turn onto a grid representing buildings being erected in a cityscape. Players vie for controlling interest in a business by buying stock in the companies. Eventually buildings will merge together due to board constraints. At that time when businesses fold into one another creating larger companies, stock investments are paid out for those holding shares of the companies. The winner is the one who accumulates the most wealth after the game's end when a final payout of existing buildings occurs for stockholders.

COMMENTS
Though I don't own this, I do enjoy playing Acquire whenever anyone brings it to a game night. It's easy to explain, and the puzzle aspect of where best to build businesses combined with when best to buy stock makes for thoughtful consideration of capital investment strategies in order to "one up" your opponents.

PROS+, CONS- & NOTES*
+ Teaching this game is simple.
+ There are opportunities to position oneself well through clever tile placement or timely investing.
- Though good strategy is rewarded, players can get caught feeling left behind or left out of the big payouts due to unexpected circumstances.
* Different versions are aesthetically more appealing than others, but this can usually be found inexpensively at thrift stores and garage sales since several editions have been published over the years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
leemc13 wrote:
Different versions are more appealing than others, but this can usually be found inexpensively at thrift stores and garage sales since several editions have been published over the years.

I would add a simple qualifier to clarify what I expect you were trying to convey: Different versions are aesthetically more appealing than others ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
Lost in thought.
mbmbmb
TVis wrote:
leemc13 wrote:
Different versions are more appealing than others, but this can usually be found inexpensively at thrift stores and garage sales since several editions have been published over the years.

I would add a simple qualifier to clarify what I expect you were trying to convey: Different versions are aesthetically more appealing than others ...

Thanks. That is precisely what I meant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carol Carpenter
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now with the 2016 edition, which has a 10x10 grid instead of 12x9, a different payout system, and hotel size affecting share prices differently, it is a matter of not only aesthetic appeal in game versions, but actual gameplay appeal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.