Subject: Just finished a 2 player campaign, my thoughts. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyler LeBlanc
United States
Delaware Water Gap
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
So, being incredibly observant as I am I didn't actually realize that this was meant to be 3+ players. When I played the prologue it was with three players, but one wasn't feeling the theme and dropped out so my friend and I continued as a 2 player game. Now I didn't actually notice this until the last box was opened and we double checked the back of the box, so in some ways this shows that it can be played 2 player with not a huge problem. Now, we both took different approaches, my friend raided and I explored early game, we both ignored treasures and both did a little building/upgrading and trading. He ended up with a pretty commanding lead for a couple of games 30+ points, but the catch up mechanism implemented a few games in worked even for two people, I had enough extra resources at the start of each game to slowly close the lead I trailed all the way up to our final game and ended up winning 274-258. After we finished we noticed that we also played a set of the event cards wrong (at least we think), but it worked out in the end. There wasn't too much interaction as far as raiding each other, but there were times when it would happen and swing the entire course of the game snatching away victories at the last moment.

Anyways, after mistakingly playing this as a two player game we both rather enjoyed everything about it and it surprisingly worked quite well. In the end though I do think 3-5 would have been more enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Reichler
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
I just wanted to say thank you for posting your impressions. I'm very interested in playing SeaFall as a 2 player game (and I know I'm not the only one). Hearing that it wasn't a disaster is music to my ears.

If anyone else has played the entire campaign 2 player, I'd love to hear more thoughts on how viable/enjoyable it was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Bertrand
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So not that i want any spoilers, but you make it sound as if there was something is the last box that made you realise that you weren't supposed to be only two players...is that what happened, or was it just the timing of it ?
I really would like to play with just my wife as i dont think my friends would be reliable enough especially for a game of this length...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler LeBlanc
United States
Delaware Water Gap
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Bob Loblaw wrote:
So not that i want any spoilers, but you make it sound as if there was something is the last box that made you realise that you weren't supposed to be only two players...is that what happened, or was it just the timing of it ?
I really would like to play with just my wife as i dont think my friends would be reliable enough especially for a game of this length...

The last box referenced rules and they stated specifically for a 3, 4 or 5 player game, so that is what made me double check. Nothing crazy or game breaking.

There were definitely points in the campaign where I felt like it was pretty hopeless and there was no way for me to make a comeback, if you can deal with that sort of feeling you should be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethidium Bromide
Germany
Potsdam
flag msg tools
mb
I just got my copy of the game. I'd love to play it with my wife and not to rely entirely on my friends. Basing on your experience, would reducing the size of the board (e.g. by taking away two rows of hexes), help to make the game tighter for 2 players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ward Bonte
Belgium
Brugge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We're not in that far yet, but I have been playing the prologue and game 1 with my brother in law and it was quite fun already!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ethidium wrote:
I just got my copy of the game. I'd love to play it with my wife and not to rely entirely on my friends. Basing on your experience, would reducing the size of the board (e.g. by taking away two rows of hexes), help to make the game tighter for 2 players?

Rows, or columns? If you take away rows, you make the game closer together, but there's still the same amount of resources. If you take away columns, then you'll have fewer islands (eventually), but might end up with some odd situations to deal with involving exploration. I wouldn't recommend either.

I put together some thoughts on tightening up the resource side of the game for low player counts which might be worth a look. I haven't gotten much feedback, though, so it's hard to say how well it would work out.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1620398/seafall-automa-v11

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Scott
msg tools
Very much appreciate this review. I now look forward to many more game sessions with my friends knowing that it is somewhat balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethidium Bromide
Germany
Potsdam
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
Rows, or columns? If you take away rows, you make the game closer together, but there's still the same amount of resources. If you take away columns, then you'll have fewer islands (eventually), but might end up with some odd situations to deal with involving exploration. I wouldn't recommend either.

I meant the most northern and southern rows. Later, after posting my question, I have realized that the player interaction on high seas will not increase with narrower seas. There is no ships limit per hex.

Also after posting my question, I have found your automata. An interesting thing. I wonder if it would be a good idea to make at least two separate automaton's approaches to each of the phases (e.g. changing the probabilities). They would be exchanged from game to game making automaton's playing style variable. Something along the dummy in the Power Grid: Robot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could absolutely do that, but it would require you to be able to make some sort of reasonable model of a player's behavior. This (badly named) automa wasn't really intended to be an AI player, it was intended only to cause a graceful degradation of available resources, and by doing so tighten up the resources in the low player count game.

That said, feel free to modify it to suit your tastes ... but please throw me some feedback if you use part or all of it, so I can make improvements!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler LeBlanc
United States
Delaware Water Gap
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
ethidium wrote:

No, it would mess with the flow of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethidium Bromide
Germany
Potsdam
flag msg tools
mb
Tcwleblanc wrote:
ethidium wrote:

No, it would mess with the flow of the game.

Thanks.
I will keep on looking for the 3rd player instead of tinkering on the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanaël Dufour
France
Lille
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dcmouser wrote:
I just wanted to say thank you for posting your impressions. I'm very interested in playing SeaFall as a 2 player game (and I know I'm not the only one). Hearing that it wasn't a disaster is music to my ears.

If anyone else has played the entire campaign 2 player, I'd love to hear more thoughts on how viable/enjoyable it was.

7 games in, 2 players, and loving it more every game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethidium Bromide
Germany
Potsdam
flag msg tools
mb
Osuniev wrote:

I have read your other thread and I have questions. What about competing for resources, advisors or tiles? Less tension, easier game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanaël Dufour
France
Lille
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ethidium wrote:
Osuniev wrote:

I have read your other thread and I have questions. What about competing for resources, advisors or tiles? Less tension, easier game?

Just did my first play of it as a 4P game, so now I know what to compare to what.

YES there is much less tension in a 2P game, and less competition for everything. Our 2p games were mostly a race for efficiency and a game of exploration, with a few exceptions in games where we would fight, trading enmity back and forth, to steal an advisor or something else.

There is so much more in 4P games, it's amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethidium Bromide
Germany
Potsdam
flag msg tools
mb
Yesterday, I had my Prologue. We've invited neighbours to play; we were 4 altogether. Everyone was happily exploring and raiding, as well as a bit disappointed when the "sudden" end came with the 4th milestone claimed. I am looking forward to more plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.