Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the most part, players seem to have fun at tournaments, and I have even seen matches were both players cooperatively work together when things get messy. However, sometimes I see things that I would definitely call bad gamesmanship. Just recently I was watching a tournament game and one of the players seemed a bit rude in general. To bad referees don't just give penalties for bad gamesmanship. Even being rude to fellow gamers should get you a yellow card for bad gamesmanship. Also, this should includes deliberately fudging your move template (cheating) to change the final position of your ship - I see a lot of the this and still wonder why tournament judges do not crack down on this behavior.

A second bad gamesmanship offense (red card) and the player forfeits the match to his opponent.

In non-tournament games this is not a problem because if you have bad gamesmanship habits, people will not play any game with you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lloyd
United Kingdom
Camden
London
flag msg tools
This game is bullshit.
mbmbmb
The players have to be involved to assist the Tournament Organisers. If your opponent is slow-playing, misplacing templates etc, it is best to let the TO know the first time it happens. The TO can then come and watch the game if needed, and any further reports will then taken seriously.

The biggest tournament I've played in was the Yavin Open, but with over 400 people playing, there's no way the TO can spot everything without it being brought to their attention. A TO probably can't really closely watch more than one game at a time.

(For the record, I don't think there were any issues at all with bad behaviour at Yavin).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swampy Crocker
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most players a pretty good about self-policing. My assumption is that at the large tournaments most of the real 'jerk' players have been told off so many times they think the X-wing community is out to get them.

As for official warnings, if you inform the TO of an opponent who is playing against the spirit of the game, it let's the TO know to keep a closer eye on that player. Most TOS like to see the suspicious behavior before making a call against the player (at least for more than a "hey, remember you shouldn't do that, nat saying you have" type of thing.
Out local TO is a huge proponent of fair play, and used to (hasn't lately due to the fact that all of our usual players are well aware) make an announcement at the beginning of every tournament about sportsmanship, the spirit of the game and the "warning to DQ" system for those players who do step out of line. To date, he has only formally given one warning - to a player know for being excessively competitive (at non-FFG tourneys we went so far as to ban dual YTS because he refused to fly anything else and didn't understand how to play "casually." Killed several other gaming groups as a result).
So my suggestions are: talk to the TO if you see an issue, remind your opponent about sportsmanship and be aware that FFG even has (had?) a section of the tourney rules dedicated to appropriate table behavior.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I do not do the tounament thing, but I have seen a player act badly in a local tounament game once. That player was warned, and would be asked to leave if he ruins it for others.

In my gaming club, we all just like to have fun and enjoy a good game, but I always hear stories of "There was this one guy that did..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.