Subject: Couple of newbee questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wouter Boon
Netherlands
Berkel en Rodenrijs
flag msg tools
Hi every,

I'm fairly new to this game; owned it for a while, but just recently started playing again. Having a great time, even tough I was completely shattered by Dol Guldur and probably made a few (many???) mistakes.

I play twohanded solo, trying out the different sphere decks (not mixed together) from the core set. (But I also own complete Mirkwood and KhazadDum as well as a couple of GenCon expansions).

Anyhow, I have a couple of questions about cards, which I can't find the answers to on this great forum (or I'm looking in the wrong place).

1. Dúnhere. His ability is targeting enemies in the staging area. I played him before questing (is that allowed?) to make enemies with high engagement cost weaker before battle. And then I played him again during other phases (is that allowed after the first 'action'?). Because his card text does not say something like 'action', 'response' or something like that, I assumed this was possible. Furthermore, it does not specifically say 'Exhaust'.

2. Power in the Earth. Attach to location, attached locations gets -1 threat. If I travel to the attached location, what happens with the attachment; is it discarded, or does it return to your hand (I assume the first).

Thanks for all your kind answers!

Wouter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fish face
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think dunhere's ability kicks in in combat phase: instead of attacking an engaged enemy he can attack one in the staging area instead. So you can't do what you suggested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Bennetts
United Kingdom
Wellington
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the second question I'd say the attachment remains attached to the location until it has been explored, just in case the card returns to staging from being the active location, I imagine there can be circumstances where that would happen. When the location is explored then the attachment goes into YOUR discard pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Munn

Unspecified
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Dúnhere's text is "Dúnhere can target enemies in the staging area when he attacks alone. When doing so, he gets +1 Attack." Key phrase when he attacks alone. When do characters get to attack enemies? During the combat phase (after the enemies have attacked you, which is why the Feint card is so useful). So that's when you can use Dúnhere's ability -- during the normal attacking step in the Combat phase. (And he does exhaust to attack, just as other characters do.) If you want to use Dúnhere to attack outside of the Combat phase, you need to use a card like Quick Strike (Action: Exhaust a character you control to immediately declare it as an attacker (and resolve its attack) against any eligible enemy target.) That's the only way to attack outside the Combat phase: with cards like Quick Strike (and some other, similar cards in some of the expansions).

2. When any card is discarded, any attachments on that card (like Power in the Earth) are discarded as well. All cards are discarded into their "owner"'s discard pile. In the case of locations, they are "owned" by the encounter deck, so they go into the encounter discard pile. But Power in the Earth is owned by the player whose deck it came from, so it goes into your discard pile, not the encounter discard pile. (And if you have two players, and both of them have a copy of Power in the Earth and play their copies on two different locations, you have to keep track of which player's deck each copy of the card came from. That's why I usually sleeve my decks in different colored sleeves, so it's easy to put cards into the correct discard pile).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Boon
Netherlands
Berkel en Rodenrijs
flag msg tools
rmunn wrote:
1. Dúnhere's text is "Dúnhere can target enemies in the staging area when he attacks alone. When doing so, he gets +1 Attack." Key phrase when he attacks alone. When do characters get to attack enemies? During the combat phase (after the enemies have attacked you, which is why the Feint card is so useful). So that's when you can use Dúnhere's ability -- during the normal attacking step in the Combat phase. (And he does exhaust to attack, just as other characters do.) If you want to use Dúnhere to attack outside of the Combat phase, you need to use a card like Quick Strike (Action: Exhaust a character you control to immediately declare it as an attacker (and resolve its attack) against any eligible enemy target.) That's the only way to attack outside the Combat phase: with cards like Quick Strike (and some other, similar cards in some of the expansions).

2. When any card is discarded, any attachments on that card (like Power in the Earth) are discarded as well. All cards are discarded into their "owner"'s discard pile. In the case of locations, they are "owned" by the encounter deck, so they go into the encounter discard pile. But Power in the Earth is owned by the player whose deck it came from, so it goes into your discard pile, not the encounter discard pile. (And if you have two players, and both of them have a copy of Power in the Earth and play their copies on two different locations, you have to keep track of which player's deck each copy of the card came from. That's why I usually sleeve my decks in different colored sleeves, so it's easy to put cards into the correct discard pile).

All, thanks for your answers. It was clear to me that discarding 'my' cards, they go into my own discard pile. Don't have a problem with which it is, because up to now I use single sphere decks

That attacking ability was not clear to me apparently... Never thought that it only is during combat phase that his special ability can kick in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etemenanki
Spain
Rohan
flag msg tools
Don't worry for misunderstanding the Dúnhere ability, most of all of us confused it at the begining of using him. This is a very common mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Burkett
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's worth clarifying what looks like a small misunderstanding in Robin Munn's (very helpful) answer.

Your questions was "what happens to Power in the Earth when you *travel* to it the attached location". Nothing happens to the attachment when you travel to it. It just hangs on there reducing the location's threat -- which probably doesn't matter 95% of the time, since it doesn't count towards the threat in staging area.

Robin may have misread your question as 'what happens to Power in the Earth after the location has been *explored*'. In that case, Robin is absolutely right: the attachment is discarded into your discard pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Boon
Netherlands
Berkel en Rodenrijs
flag msg tools
grex22 wrote:
I think it's worth clarifying what looks like a small misunderstanding in Robin Munn's (very helpful) answer.

Your questions was "what happens to Power in the Earth when you *travel* to it the attached location". Nothing happens to the attachment when you travel to it. It just hangs on there reducing the location's threat -- which probably doesn't matter 95% of the time, since it doesn't count towards the threat in staging area.

Robin may have misread your question as 'what happens to Power in the Earth after the location has been *explored*'. In that case, Robin is absolutely right: the attachment is discarded into your discard pile.

Thanks for the clarification! Actually my question was rather mixed up, as I meant to ask what happens if the location is explored. It is discarded in my own discardpile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.