Escape from Colditz» Forums » Rules

Subject: Escape Kits rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
blumax max
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
Sorry, but the rules about Escape Kit are not clear to me.
The new rules say: "An Escape Kit is needed for each successful escape
– when a POW escapes the board, he takes the Escape Kit with him to prepare for his journey through enemy territory.
This means that I need two kits to escape?
After the first POW escapes, the Personal Kit card returns to the Escape Officer?
If the Officer begins the game already with a Escape Kit card, it means that, until the first POW escape,is not necessary to assemble a Kit, since i already have the Escape Kit card?
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are mostly correct, yes.

The new Osprey edition has each Escape Officer begin the game with an Escape Kit already, in order to speed up the start of the game.

There is a "Play Options" bit near the end of the new rules (pg. 11 of the English version, just in case you have a different version!) Here it suggests that you can alter the length of the game by changing the number of rounds, and/or begin the game without starting Escape Kits.

An escaping POW "takes the kit with them". I think this means that the Escape Officer player must discard the card when a POW escapes. So that player only needs to make another one after their first POW escapes.

Also, it is possible for two POWs of the same nationality to share the same Escape Kit, if they escape on the same turn (although the rules aren't clear whether they need to make it to the same space/target on the board, or if they can use different ones). In which case, you could win the game without having to make another Escape Kit (if playing to the default goal of 2 escapes).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pudsy wrote:
Also, it is possible for two POWs of the same nationality to share the same Escape Kit, if they escape on the same turn (although the rules aren't clear whether they need to make it to the same space/target on the board, or if they can use different ones). In which case, you could win the game without having to make another Escape Kit (if playing to the default goal of 2 escapes).

Not got the rules to hand to check, but that seems very odd both thematically and mechanically, especially if POWs start with an escape kit, already. Yes, I know their progress will be slower as they have to share the dice roll, but if you can find a bit of un unguarded area they can use the same escape equipment and if they get lucky and get a decent double or two, it couuld be rather easy to win really early. Even more so if they don't need to escape through the same point and can then split the guards up.

Also, thematically, as this contains clothes, ID papers, etc it seems very odd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought similar when I first read that part of the rules: "share ID papers & clothes?!".

Perhaps it's an attempt to reflect that some of the POWs did actually escape in pairs in real life, with one German-speaking POW disguised as a "senior officer" typically paired with a non-German-speaking POW. So here they share the "kit" as a whole.
(EDIT: although I believe in real life, the paired POWs were of differing nationalities, which is not possible here)

Or maybe it's just to provide another way to avoid having to make an Escape Kit (in addition to starting out with one).

Definitely in the rules though...
Rules, pg. 10 wrote:
Successful Escapes
An Escape Kit is needed for each successful escape – when a POW escapes the board, he takes the Escape Kit with him to prepare for his journey through enemy territory. An Escape Kit may be shared by two POWs of the same nationality, but only if they both escape on the same turn.

I can only imagine how lucky you'd have to be with the dice (and maybe cards) to manage to get 2 POW pawns out on the same turn without the guards catching up to at least one of them.
(EDIT: Actually, to achieve this I think would be showing off to the extreme, and you probably deserve to win without creating another kit!)

I suppose it's easy to ignore that rule anyway if you prefer, in the same way you can simply start without Escape Kits if you choose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
blumax max
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks! Very clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pudsy wrote:
(EDIT: Actually, to achieve this I think would be showing off to the extreme, and you probably deserve to win without creating another kit!)

I was thinking that, but if you hedged your bets and had a bit of a headstart, or the guards had a bad roll chasing you, it may be quite doable. Worst case, if you think you can delay the escape of one of your pawns but leave it one space from escaping, so the other can catch up, you could aford to have the back one caught without losing much - you only lose escape equipment if you're caught, and not escape kits, correct? Ofc, if there's a shoot-to-kill card available, it could go wrong, but it seems worth the risk. Obvs, I'm working on pure conjecture, here, not having played the game (in less than about 30 years, anyway).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha! Yeah, could be worth a try if the situation comes up.

Maybe I'd risk dawdling if I had a Talisman card to counter the Shoot to Kill... otherwise I'd probably end up getting both POWs shot on the same turn!

And yes, you don't lose an Escape Kit due to being arrested (in the classic rules it even sounds like you only ever need to make one kit, and can use it for multiple separate escapes). So you're right, not too much to lose in that respect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thark Warrior
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It does say you can only hold one escape kits at a time. So if you try for a double and only one POW makes it that turn, the second POW is out of lucky until you make another.

And as we proved in the 2016 rules thread, with Rules as Written, the German can station 8 guards in such a to make collecting escape kits impossible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.