7 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » Organized Play

Subject: skirmish teams - no additional packs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MadeOf RealPanthers
msg tools
Hi,

I'm going to try skirmish mode with a pal. I've not tried it before, confining myself to campaigns.

I own Core set and all the expansions, but I have not bought any ally/villain packs (apart from the ones that come with the Core).

I'm looking to create two viable teams, so me and my pal can play. Ideally 1 rebel and 1 imp.

What should I do?

thanks!

PS 40% of the time it works 100% of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is fun to make my own teams. The only thing I have found when making a 40 point team you want a balance of unique units and squads. If you put 40 points of squads vs 40 points of uniques the squads will win by a landslide mainly because they get more "actions" and partially because there are more of them to kill.

Pick a few "heroes" and a couple squads and go at it. I find it less complicated than the campaigns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge N.
United States
flag msg tools
I find that for casual games, its a good rule to have one deployment that is a unique figure, then build your army around them. For example, you can start with Vader and then build your army around him. So one fun one is Vader(18), Royal guard(8), stormtrooper (6), two Imperial officers (4), Probe droid (3) and Zillo technique. The royal guards will shield vader and other figures with thier "Sentinel" ability. The Imperial officers can use one action to advance those other figures on the board. Its a fun list. And since its a casual build, 60% of the time it works every time.

I cant think of a good one for the rebels except the luke/leia combo. I personally use Luke, leia, obi wan, rebel troopers, rebel sab, gideon and Channel the force (but I dont think you have the obiwan pack).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MadeOf RealPanthers
msg tools
Thanks both.

Yeah, I'm struggling with the rebels. I don't own Leia or Obi-Wan figures, as they both require separate packs. I don't even have Obi-Wan's deployment card.

Same is true for rebel troops, sabateurs, etc.

Hehehe seems that building a viable Rebel deck requires extra purchases. Hrm.

What I'll probably do is just slightly nerf the 'Vaders Fist' variant so it's not quite as good. Somehow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Heiret
United States
Redmond
WASHINGTON
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Using just the core set and boxed expansions, you can build this:

Gideon
Luke
MHD-19
Davith Elso
Diala
Jyn
Loku

I've arranged these roughly in the order of my estimate of their value to a team, but your mileage may vary.

Of note, you've got three Force Users here, so your command deck can lean on those cards a bit. I think this squad could stand against the basic Vader's Fist, but I'm not an amazing player or anything. Use Gideon to throw Focus around, and either concentrate all fire on Vader or try to avoid him (possibly stunning with Jyn) and kill the rest of the Imperials. Have fun--I really enjoy skirmish mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MadeOf RealPanthers
msg tools
can anyone recommend a good skirmish map for noobs? or are they all about the same in terms of learning curve?

I've settled on running Vader's Fist and some kind of cobbled together Rebel thing with tokens instead of minis. I'll give the new player the Imps while I try to figure out how to beat him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MadeOf RealPanthers
msg tools
What I'm planning is...

IP - Vader (18), imp officer (2), 2x normal ST (12), royal guard (8). Total of 5 groups, 11 figures

Rebel - Luke (10), Leia (token! 8), Fenn (9), Gideon (3), MHD-19 (5), normal rebel sabs (5) - also tokens. Total of 6 groups, 8 figures including 3 tokens.

Does this look reasonably balanced? Rebels have some pretty strong hitters, especially with Gideon to give away focus tokens. But Vader is hard to kill and easy to play. I was planning to give the new player IP.
Perhaps I should strengthen IP a bit? Or take out Leia (no figurine for her anyway) and replace with someone like Gaarkhan who isn't as good?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.