Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
This video was linked in the Betrayal at Calth forums, but now we have a dedicated forum for Prospero, I thought I would reshare it. It's a short video from BoLS giving an overview of some of the main gameplay mechanisms. It's over-simplified, but gives an idea of what is going on.

I'm very excited to dive into my kit this weekend. I am also very excited to see a lot of people talking about the actual gameplay for this title, rather than just going gooey over the (admittedly incredible) miniatures.

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2016/10/burning-of-prospero-d...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jon ike
U.S. Virgin Islands
St. John
Virgin Islands
flag msg tools
Not much substance that video. Got more out of GWs game developers video.

Looking forward to your review and an actual play thru.

I've been wanting to pick up Betrayal at Calth for a while, but this looks interesting as well being the latest / greatest even if I'm not a fan of either army.
Still has the saying goes...
So many games.... so little money...
even less free time.

Then there is Blood Bowl coming soon... maybe I'll just hold on and wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jombie wrote:
Not much substance that video. Got more out of GWs game developers video.

Looking forward to your review and an actual play thru.

I've been wanting to pick up Betrayal at Calth for a while, but this looks interesting as well being the latest / greatest even if I'm not a fan of either army.
Still has the saying goes...
So many games.... so little money...
even less free time.

Then there is Blood Bowl coming soon... maybe I'll just hold on and wait.

My box arrived today. The amount of plastic is very intimidating.

White Dwarf magazine confirms that Blood Bowl hits shelves in December, so start saving now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jon ike
U.S. Virgin Islands
St. John
Virgin Islands
flag msg tools
Thanks! Just saw the pre-order for Blood Bowl rolls out Nov. 18th
This makes my decision much easier!

OK.. back on topic I found this play thru video. Looks like BoP might be my next purchase after Blood Bowl, unless they release Necromunda early next year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKBFL3xK6JY
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cisne
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
I am also very excited to see a lot of people talking about the actual gameplay for this title, rather than just going gooey over the (admittedly incredible) miniatures.

Yes, it was great to see how the official GW video for the game features the developers excitedly talking about the atmosphere, mechanics and theme of the game for practically the entire video, before remembering to pop in a quick "also, the miniatures are good!" (and they really are) comment right at the end.
(To put things in perspective...they spent less time talking about the components than a BGG review would!)

It's really reassuring to see GW taking pride in its games as games again (and not just as discounted model bundles), and to hear them showing a genuine understanding of what makes a great game - the contrast between their Burning of Prospero coverage and the White Dwarf coverage of Lost Patrol from only a few months ago (where the key selling point they kept shoving was that it was so unbelievably broken that the Space Marine player had lost every single one of the 70 games they'd played*...) is just phenomenal.

The reception on the GW fansites is shifting in this direction too - when Calth was released the idea of there being a game in the box was almost mocked as a pointless distraction from the miniatures, whereas - a couple of board games later - the reactions to Prospero are showing a lot more interest in the game itself. I'm hopeful that by the time the next 30k boxed release from GW rolls around, the old guard of fans will be looking forward to what the game itself holds for them.

* I mean...who thought that was a good stat to publish?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Breothain wrote:
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
I am also very excited to see a lot of people talking about the actual gameplay for this title, rather than just going gooey over the (admittedly incredible) miniatures.

Yes, it was great to see how the official GW video for the game features the developers excitedly talking about the atmosphere, mechanics and theme of the game for practically the entire video, before remembering to pop in a quick "also, the miniatures are good!" (and they really are) comment right at the end.
(To put things in perspective...they spent less time talking about the components than a BGG review would!)

Things are certainly looking up, but Prospero is already causing me headaches.

Like with Calth, every model has a whole bunch of options, but there is no guidance on what a good mix of weapons would be. They need to at least include an example force for people who want to play the game in the box and have fun.

One of the weapon options for the custodes HQ doesn't make sense - you can equip him with a sword and shield, or a sword and dagger. The sword and dagger combination has no value whatsoever, as you would always use the sword in combat. If the intention is that the dagger gives an extra dice in combat, I am yet to find a reference to that ruling anywhere.

As with Silver Tower, there is nothing to protect the cards from the pointy plastic bits. I was lucky, and got away with just a few minor indents on the rules book cover. I am expecting to see a bunch of people complaining about scratched cards.

Don't get me wrong, overall the product is exceptionally beautiful, and I am very excited about the actual game, but GW still haven't bridged that gap between the hobbyists and the boardgamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.