Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jimmy Hsu
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I kickstarted Elections of US America Election: the Card Game a while back and I finally had a chance to play the game last night - which is great since the election is less than 2 weeks away as I write this.

After a session of Betrayal on the house of the hill, my game group was pretty keen to play as their favorite candidates but we started the game off with randomly drawing 2 candidates and selecting the one you'll represent. The candidates vary from recent candidates to past and fictional candidates. Our game consisted with Hillary, Frank Underwood (House of Cards), Cthulhu, George Washington and Jeb Bush.

If you're not too familiar with the game or rules, the goal of the game is to get the most electoral votes (we were playing until 70 for a quick game), by playing for votes which will win you states at the end of the each round. You will need to use Wonk cards on yourself or against your opponents to permanently (or temporarily) increase (or decrease) your candidates appeal ratings. The appeal ratings are separated by party (democrat, republican, independent) which allows you to grab voters during each round. The more appeal you have for one party, the more voters you can get, but you need to get the voters before your opponents, which will allow you to get the states that you're fighting for per round.

The game started off fairly cordial, but quickly turned "nasty" when one of the candidates started to take a heavy lead. Scandal cards started to get played and it really became a battle ground.

Overall:
The game is very witty with their quotes on the cards (the game is made by a satirical news site from the UK) and surprisingly the electoral vote #'s are representative to 2016 #'s. Most candidates have interesting some special abilities, like George Washington cannot use any technology based cards, but he starts off with the highest appeal... George Bush can look at 2 wonk cards and take one at the beginning of a state round etc... The main strategy of the game is determining your party appeal, determining what wonk cards you want to play (either upping your appeal or screwing others), taking voters or sitting out of the round to collect more wonk cards. Not sure how balanced the game is, as some wonk cards might completely wipe out everything you've built, and some cards / candidates have a way better ability than others...

It's pretty fun and it seemed that my game group would want to have another play before the actual elections. My gripes with the game is the instruction guide is a bit confusing and I wish there were a few more candidates (like the advertised Bill Clinton, and some past presidents).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Butler
United States
Paynesville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Elections of US America Election" can't be the actual title of this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hsu
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep that's the name... with the added the Card Game.

I did get a chance to play the game again, as my girlfriend (she really hates games) suggested we play it with her sister and her sister's boyfriend. They seemed to enjoy it and the game was very competitive. I'm not sure how balanced the game but you'll end up depending heavily on getting the right Wonk cards to really turn the game towards your favor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.