$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
45% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Cthulhu Wars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Ubbo-Sathlah's Doom Phase Awakening conditions vs. Tablets of the Gods rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dr Gosburo Coffin
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
I finally had the time to take a closer look at the recently revealed Tcho-Tcho material, and I was wondering in which order the Awakening of Ubbo-Sathla (when done during the Doom Phase) and the effects of the Spellbook Tablets of the Gods are supposed to happen ...

A High Priest needs to be present on the board if the Tcho-Tcho player wants to Awaken Ubbo-Sathlah during the Doom Phase (which is of course much cheaper than the Action Phase Awakening - it only costs the High Priest's life). However, Tablets of the Gods Eliminates all High Priests on the board after the Ritual of Annihilation.

If the order of events is "first Awaken Ubbo, then perform the Ritual", there isn't much of a problem - apart from the fact that there's one High Priest less to Eliminate for Tablets of the Gods and thus one Elder Sign less to be earned. But if the Doom Phase Awakening of Ubbo-Sathlah is supposed to happen after the Ritual, it will obviously no longer be possible to Awaken him, as there are no High Priests left ... The Tcho-Tcho player still has the choice to skip the Ritual of course, if they really want to get Ubbo-Sathlah during that Doom Phase.

I'd like to know what the intended order to resolve these actions is ... But no matter what the outcome is, I think the Tcho-Tcho player faces some really interesting choices here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
DrGosburoCoffin wrote:
I finally had the time to take a closer look at the recently revealed Tcho-Tcho material, and I was wondering in which order the Awakening of Ubbo-Sathla (when done during the Doom Phase) and the effects of the Spellbook Tablets of the Gods are supposed to happen ...

A High Priest needs to be present on the board if the Tcho-Tcho player wants to Awaken Ubbo-Sathlah during the Doom Phase (which is of course much cheaper than the Action Phase Awakening - it only costs the High Priest's life). However, Tablets of the Gods Eliminates all High Priests on the board after the Ritual of Annihilation.

If the order of events is "first Awaken Ubbo, then perform the Ritual", there isn't much of a problem - apart from the fact that there's one High Priest less to Eliminate for Tablets of the Gods and thus one Elder Sign less to be earned. But if the Doom Phase Awakening of Ubbo-Sathlah is supposed to happen after the Ritual, it will obviously no longer be possible to Awaken him, as there are no High Priests left ... The Tcho-Tcho player still has the choice to skip the Ritual of course, if they really want to get Ubbo-Sathlah during that Doom Phase.

I'd like to know what the intended order to resolve these actions is ... But no matter what the outcome is, I think the Tcho-Tcho player faces some really interesting choices here.

direct from the Omega Master Rulebook text:

Special Events and Abilities
Some Spellbooks, special abilities or even Spellbook requirements take effect during The Doom Phase. Usually these occur when you perform a Ritual of Annihilation (if any) are performed.

Examples include Black Goat’s Blood Sacrifice Spellbook, and the two Doom Phase Spellbook requirements that Great Cthulhu fulfills. Some Map events also occur here (available in expansion products). Additional examples abound, such as acquiring Neutral Monsters and Terrors.

If you can use multiple abilities or events, you can choose which order to perform them. Example: The Tcho-Tcho can Awaken Ubbo-Sathla in the Doom Phase by sacrificing a High Priest, and can also be forced to Sacrifice all their High Priests for Elder Signs with Tablets of the Gods if they perform a Ritual of Annihilation. They can choose to Awaken Ubbo-Sathla first, and then perform the Ritual (and sacrifice all remaining High Priests), or perform the Ritual first, when they also sacrifice all their High Priests, and then not be able to Awaken Ubbo-Sathla!

Once the all players have advanced the Doom track for their Controlled Gates, had a chance to perform a Ritual of Annihilation, and performed any special abilities events, play passes again to the Action Phase, to repeat the cycle of Phases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
existoid wrote:
DrGosburoCoffin wrote:

direct from the Omega Master Rulebook text:

Special Events and Abilities
Some Spellbooks, special abilities or even Spellbook requirements take effect during The Doom Phase. Usually these occur when you perform a Ritual of Annihilation (if any) are performed.

Examples include Black Goat’s Blood Sacrifice Spellbook, and the two Doom Phase Spellbook requirements that Great Cthulhu fulfills. Some Map events also occur here (available in expansion products). Additional examples abound, such as acquiring Neutral Monsters and Terrors.

If you can use multiple abilities or events, you can choose which order to perform them. Example: The Tcho-Tcho can Awaken Ubbo-Sathla in the Doom Phase by sacrificing a High Priest, and can also be forced to Sacrifice all their High Priests for Elder Signs with Tablets of the Gods if they perform a Ritual of Annihilation. They can choose to Awaken Ubbo-Sathla first, and then perform the Ritual (and sacrifice all remaining High Priests), or perform the Ritual first, when they also sacrifice all their High Priests, and then not be able to Awaken Ubbo-Sathla!

Once the all players have advanced the Doom track for their Controlled Gates, had a chance to perform a Ritual of Annihilation, and performed any special abilities events, play passes again to the Action Phase, to repeat the cycle of Phases.
Thanks for the official answer Arthur, but I hope that this is not the final text and that at least one more round of proof reading is performed on it. There are some sentences that just seem off to me, though I think it is just minor stuff like extra words.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Gosburo Coffin
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the quick reply, I'm happy to learn that this is covered in the Omega Rulebook!

And I really like that it's up to the player to decide in which order these effects take place. Even more interesting decisions for us ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.