39.6% of Goal | left

Support:

Alton Utt
United States
Moscow
Idaho
flag msg tools
mb
What I'm looking for is an app that can take an existing list (such as the list of games own or that I have ranked on BGG), and use the index card comparrison technique to help me rank them. For those not familiar with the technique, what one does is put the name of each game in the list on an index card, choose one at random and compare all the other games to it (which do you like more). To get the level of refinement for a full ranking of a large list would still be a tedious and time consuming process since several passes through the list would be a minimum requirement.

I've thought about trying to make my own app to do this, but I wanted to see if anyone already knows of something similar that already exists (for android, ios or PC).

I am also open to considering tools that take a different approach to list ranking as long as they do not depend on the user assigning a numerical rank to a game as part of the process. Preferences change over time, but I feel there is a bias toward nostalgia when I use a numerical rank like the BGG ranking system. I think the idea of simply comparing "which do you like better" or "which would you rather play right now" questions would help remove some of that nostalgia bias vs trying to objectively assign a ranking to each game.

I'd also like to know in general how others have gone about trying to make a top 100 (or any top list > 10). What methods did you use and what went into your evaluation process?

Thanks for any comments or fedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't help with the programming/app side, but would this be an easier way to do the index card thing: start with randomly chosen Game 1 and randomly chosen Game 2 and rank them versus each other. Then bring in Game 3 to compare to 1 and 2. Eventually you may be able to do 'shorthand', so that game 60, you know you like better than game 40, so there's no need to compare to 41-60. Could do it in Excel with cut/paste and insert rows.
My ranking would absolutely something on the lines of "which do I like better", or "which do I find more fun to play". I don't play enough games to offer a truly objective Top X, plus if I don't like the game, I don't care where it ranks - and my not liking a game doesn't mean it's not 'good'.
That said, I've never actually done a Top 100, so it's purely theoretical to me at this time.
Anyway, looking forward to seeing people's thoughts and if there's any tool out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Gordon Show
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is why we need a flickchart.com for board games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
User Tyler Peckenpaugh created a game ranking site at http://rankgames.ty-pe.com that does this. Discussion thread is here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alton Utt
United States
Moscow
Idaho
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the suggestions, I will need to dabble with it to see if that's what I'm looking for or not (sounds like what I'm looking for though).

And thanks to the gordon show for resurrecting a thread with a similar idea (even if the project is dead, it may give each me ideas)

Tony C,
Yeah, I'm not really sure how to impliment my idea, but my initial idea is to load the game list I want sorted into a dynamically created array, count the list, make a new array of the size of the original list. Then I would choose two games at random, compare them, put the winner at the top of the new array and the looser at the bottom. Then I would randomly select another game and compare it to the top game. If it wins, I would make it the top game, and move the previous top choice to rank 2, if it lost, I would compare it to the bottom of the list until it finds a spot.the idea needs more refinement, but it seems doable - the hard part will probably be figuring out how to import a BGG game list.

I partly want to do this to rank my own collection (and my finace's collection), but I also want to have a tool I can take to game night and have our regular players rank our collections so I can get a better idea of what games are most popular currently, and which oldies I should dust off and start bringing (I've tried printed surveys and such in the past, but had low participation in that)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.