$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
36.6% of Goal | 26 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Karmaka» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about playing cards on person sitting across from you (4 player) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The multiplayer rules state:

In a 4-player game, players may not play cards on the player sitting across from them--only on their neighbors.

For a direct attack card like Panic or Crisis, this is straightforward. But can we still interact with that player as long as the ultimate target is one of our neighbors? For example, what about Mimic ("Choose any rival's exposed Deed. Play a copy of that Deed's ability.")? Let's say I am Player One. I play Mimic and copy Player Three's exposed Panic and then target Player Four with the effect. Is this legal? Although I interacted with the player across from me (Player Three), I technically played the effect against my neighbor (Player Four).

I base the above interpretation on the rule that if a chain ultimately targets a player, that is the player who gets offered the card (not anyone else who's cards I may have interacted with during the chain).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that's one that the dev may have to answer. We've always played by the rule that you can't target the player across from you so they are not an eligible rival for any card that says - choose a rival regardless if it's an actual attack or not. But I can sorta see the counter argument that if it's not an attack maybe you can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For Mimic specifically, you can play the card on the person sitting across from you.

On page 12 (back) of the rule book, there is a FAQ for the Mimic card. Part 3 says "In a 4-player game you may Mimic the Deed of the player sitting aacross from you, but you may not play the copied Deed's effect on them."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Derp! Good catch. I knew I had seen something on this, and when I flipped through the rulebook again today, I neglected to flip it over to the back cover. LOL

That's definitive enough for me. As long as you are only creating a chain and not declaring the person across from you as the eventual target, you can use their cards (this is almost always going to mean copying an ability). Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.