Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As soon as Oleg'Arth enters phase 2 his ability reads:

"If a cultist would enter play, instead trigger any enters play effects then place it into the foe discard"

Now cultists do NOT have an "enters play effects" and if I am not mistaken, there are only TWO cards in the entire foe deck that have an "enters play" effect and stay in the game so they could trigger from a Cultist - namely: "Spirit Channeler" and "Icon of Oleg'Arth". Yet there are about 24 cultist cards in the deck, so they are likely to be drawn - for NO effect (other than the 1 hit, heal the foe by 1 which you basically get every turn as thee are so many cultists)?!?!

Is that really how they work? In my play through this was a VERY boring effect - draw a foe card - oh a cultist - does nothing but 1 damage and heal 1 - continue

I really hope I am missing something here, as the rule book is not one of the bests, this may very well be the case...

Can anyone help me out here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Courtemanche
Canada
Bois-des-filion
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well my understanding is that, "If a cultist would enter play", so basically if you just flipped a Cultist and are about to put it into play, "instead trigger any enters play effects then place it into the foe discard", so any card (Vassal, Permanent ability and such) that are in play (anywhere) that have and "(foe) enter play" effect triggers and the card goes in the discard (without being killed or sacrificed or anything that would trigger something). Although, afterward the foe card states that he hits everyone for 1(spirit dmg) and heals for 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
datajack wrote:
Well my understanding is that, "If a cultist would enter play", so basically if you just flipped a Cultist and are about to put it into play, "instead trigger any enters play effects then place it into the foe discard", so any card (Vassal, Permanent ability and such) that are in play (anywhere) that have and "(foe) enter play" effect triggers and the card goes in the discard (without being killed or sacrificed or anything that would trigger something). Although, afterward the foe card states that he hits everyone for 1(spirit dmg) and heals for 1.

That's I what I read into the card as well - problem is that within a 53 card deck there is only 4 cards which have the text "Whenever this card is played" (though the word on the cards is inconsistent, i.e. there may be more than these)

Cult Caller
2* Icon of Oleg'Arth
Spirit Channeler

If this holds true the effect of Oleg'Arth is pretty lame. My fist two playthroughs with Oleg'Arth were pretty boring...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Courtemanche
Canada
Bois-des-filion
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Although take my word for it very lightly.

Chances are I'm not playing right or I mess up somewhere.

Here's my experience so far: Re: Review of the Complete Game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Hammer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the designer has said that the Cult of Oleg'Arth is intended to be tutorial of sorts, or at least an easy foe to allow players to get used to the gameplay.

If you are playing as datajack suggests, where card 'enter play' effects trigger even though the cultist itself doesn't enter the foe play area, then I believe these card would also trigger:

Circle of Culling (heroes sacrifice a card)
Drowning Chant (heroes discard a card)
Chant Leader (whenever a cultist is played or put in foe discard, deal 1 spirit damage to each hero)
Empowering Circle (deal 1 damage to heroes)

I do agree that the Cult is a little easy, especially if you are using the pathfinder, necromancer or paladin all of whom can easily soak up what little damage the cult dishes out. However I'm keen to try Pirate Lord Keraxis, who appears to use a lot of vassals that support each other and dish out a steady stream of damage to the heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Lembcke
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
While Cultists themselves do not have any enters play effects, there are several cards (including the Phase 2 Foe) with abilities that trigger either when a cultist is played or enters play. As Blue Hammer mentioned, the cult was tuned to be pretty easy for anyone with experience in games like this (in my opinion, too easy, for the record). We found that the game was pretty hard to grasp for people that had little experience with similar games, so the cult was balanced to address that. Obviously RNG has a lot to do in games like this, its just a hard thing to balance without being too hard for the majority of players.

Believe it or not, we still hear that the cult is too hard pretty much every demo day we do
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.