Subject: Why Pay Tribute? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edward Naut
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Only the active player can pay tribute to the Goths, right?

So why would he ever pay tribute? He can pick the production card type the Goth is furthest from destroying. He lets the Goth advance a space, destroying other players' production cards.

Worse, if you pay tribute the other players are likely to scoop it when the Goth advances.

Playing a three-way game against myself, I don't see the upside of paying tribute. One can scratch along, obtaining either 1 gold, 1 food, or 1 glory, letting the Goth destroy any building the other fellow may be so bold as to purchase. One can nurse a narrow lead this way. One would only risk buying a building to move away from Rome or to match someone who has moved away from Rome. But if everyone is in Rome, as at the start, the risk of losing a building, which is a big investment, seems too great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The goths destroy the active player's building first. You generally want to pay tribute unless a number of buildings equal to the number of players will be destroyed, unless you are void in the first color destroyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Naut
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Right. I mistakenly thought each player started with zero production cards in his play area. In fact, each player starts with one of each type.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.