Hide
10 Posts

Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Science Fleet Ability Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Federali Aundy
msg tools
The Science Fleet ability section reads: "This Fleet may Brave the Hazard of a Phenomenon they Occupy without Exhausting a Command."

So I want to be sure I understand the rules correctly on this.

I thought that a Ship or Fleet had to use an Impulse move Command to leave the Phenomenon they occupy and re-enter the Phenomenon in order to re-Brave the Hazard and gain the Research token.

While the effect is the same, I was wondering if the Science Fleet ability is implying that you would usually spend one Command to simply re-Brave the Phenomenon and gain the Research token without moving. If so, shouldn't this be listed as a Command option on the Commands listing?

If this is not the implication, could it mean that it costs an extra Command each time a Ship or Fleet Braves a Hazard? It doesn't say this in the rulebook, but it could be one interpretation of the ability text.

The text just seems pretty confusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Federali_Aundy wrote:
The Science Fleet ability section reads: "This Fleet may Brave the Hazard of a Phenomenon they Occupy without Exhausting a Command."

So I want to be sure I understand the rules correctly on this.

I thought that a Ship or Fleet had to use an Impulse move Command to leave the Phenomenon they occupy and re-enter the Phenomenon in order to re-Brave the Hazard and gain the Research token.

While the effect is the same, I was wondering if the Science Fleet ability is implying that you would usually spend one Command to simply re-Brave the Phenomenon and gain the Research token without moving. If so, shouldn't this be listed as a Command option on the Commands listing?

If this is not the implication, could it mean that it costs an extra Command each time a Ship or Fleet Braves a Hazard? It doesn't say this in the rulebook, but it could be one interpretation of the ability text.

The text just seems pretty confusing.

You do not have to move in order to brave the hazard and collect a research. They probably just ran out of room on the card
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federali Aundy
msg tools
Thanks so much. I just went back and looked on page 14 of the rulebook and saw the "Note" section at the bottom corner. I totally missed it when I was reading the section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the fleet card mentions "occupy" so they just have to be there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:

And no one else can be there. They define "ocuppy" specifically to mean no rival ships can be there with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
csouth154 wrote:
Angelsenior wrote:

And no one else can be there. They define "ocuppy" specifically to mean no rival ships can be there with you.

Page # for this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
John1701 wrote:
csouth154 wrote:
Angelsenior wrote:

Page # for this?

Page 5. Definition of "occupy".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Federali_Aundy wrote:

Variations of this sort of question have come up before, so you're not alone. In general, think of system discs as really large. You are only forced to deal with non-fleet dangers (phenomena, hazards, planetary minefields, etc) if you stop in that system. Otherwise, it is considered big enough to skirt around the item in question. And once you do stop there, you can generally avoid the dangerous item by stationing your ship in a safer part of that system disc. In this particular case, spending a Command token when you are already parked there is like telling the crew to dive in, risk the ship, and take additional readings.

Of course, there is always the odd exception. And you definitely can't avoid an enemy fleet lurking in a system (unless you have tech that specifically allows it!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
Angelsenior wrote:

correct, though i was more pointing out that the term doesnt imply a requirement to move, just being there is sufficient.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
csouth154 wrote:
Angelsenior wrote:

correct, though i was more pointing out that the term doesnt imply a requirement to move, just being there is sufficient.

I don't doubt it. I take every opportunity to point it out because GF9 went out of their way to make it as obscure as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.