Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thiago Colas
Brazil
São José do Rio Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been thinking about it for quite a while, but watching Brad's live videos on Trials Kickstarter made me think: with so many cool different variants on BattleCON, we almost always play the same standard duels.

So i was wondering: is there any interest in an everything goes tournament? The idea is that the tournament would include different matches, like Strikers, Arenas, Tags, Armory and such, with Promos and Alt-arts avaliable (the banned characters would remain banned, though, but their alts may be legal, I'm not sure yet), and the modes would be randomly assigned to each match.

So, does it sound good or am I alone in this??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiran Kin
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an interesting idea, and it does sound fun for a casual event, but I'm not sure how you could make a tournament out of it. If different matches follow different rules, they shouldn't count the same in the tournament structure (whatever structure it happens to be using). Plus, combining variants can lead to games that feel (or are) very unfair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Colas
Brazil
São José do Rio Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tirankin wrote:
It's an interesting idea, and it does sound fun for a casual event, but I'm not sure how you could make a tournament out of it. If different matches follow different rules, they shouldn't count the same in the tournament structure (whatever structure it happens to be using). Plus, combining variants can lead to games that feel (or are) very unfair.

It's not about combining variants... its only one variant per match. And I think it can make for a much more dynamic and interesting game, where the player has to adapt to several different environments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Garza
United States
Visalia
ca
flag msg tools
mbmb
Seems like it'd be comparable to how a track and field event is run, or gymnastics. Each "variation" should be it's own event, with players being allowed to participate in mutliple events. At the end you have a winner in each event, and maybe you can have a champion, someone who did well in multiple events?

At any rate, it sounds fun. Like you said, there are so many different ways to play battlecon, and some, like the armory, could introduce a whole new layer of strategy to setting up for the match.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Colas
Brazil
São José do Rio Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
madpaintballer wrote:
Seems like it'd be comparable to how a track and field event is run, or gymnastics. Each "variation" should be it's own event, with players being allowed to participate in mutliple events. At the end you have a winner in each event, and maybe you can have a champion, someone who did well in multiple events?

At any rate, it sounds fun. Like you said, there are so many different ways to play battlecon, and some, like the armory, could introduce a whole new layer of strategy to setting up for the match.

I'd say its more like decathlon. Or all-around gymnastics. Or an Iron-Man. Or life itself, where what shows how good you are is how you adapt to your environment. The main idea is to be different. Every tournament is always exactly the same. BC has so many cool variants that not using them (like, EVER) is such a letdown.

And let's face it, the official tournament goals themselves say so, since there are several bonuses that NEED to be played with some of the variants. Some require tags, some require arenas.

By the way, watch the live comment on the KS here. The part i mentioned on my first post starts at 43 minutes, precisely. https://huzza.io/david-b--talton-jr/live-stream/final-countd...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.