Subject: Solitaire redux rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Strand
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I find that playing solitaire at anything beyond the Easy level almost impossible due to the Two alien card requirement each turn.

However, if you just reduce the card draw to one per turn (while keeping all the other card draws the same, yields a game with similar results to the series replays put out by Artipia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Valdez
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
Just to be sure, are you playing with 5 dice instead of 4?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erick Araiza
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

What about using two characters and just choosing which one moves or fires depending the situation. One character on play can't cover all the situations happening specially in harder settings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seba J
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remember, you don't have to (and most likely won't be able to) kill all the aliens every time. stick to your goals and try to shoot those who are in your way and/or have advanced too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Strand
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for all your replies!

Yes, I am playing with five dice.

I realize that I don't have to kill all the aliens and that the trick is to focus on the objective.

I have won on the easy level, but everything has to go just right. If you have a weapon that needs sixes, or just one hit die, the game can get pretty rough. I have found that I like to choose my weapon and item combo, not quite legit, but if you're playing solo then you don't get to choose or balance your weapons/items and you can get very sub-optimal gear. In a multi-player game you can work as a team to min/max your selection of gear. In a solo game, one player has do it all.

And finally, when you draw two alien cards they not infrequently are at a distance from each other and if your weapon is a sword, then you need to be in two places at once, very frustrating.

I like a challenge as much as the next guy, but I frequently find solitaire games overwhelming and not fun. Now, I obviously am relatively new to this game, like everyone else, but at least for awhile I am finding it more fun to just use one alien draw per turn. It is possible to play the Medium level this way and get to use some events, which is a plus in my book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Enderlin

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've had the same thoughts after playing solo a few times -- Easy mode is about 50-50 win/lose depending on how quickly you can get your objectives completed, Medium feels darn near impossible after 3+ rounds. I don't even want to imagine Hard or Very Hard mode!

I'll give drawing one alien card per turn a chance and see if it's any less difficult, I can always raise the bar once I am a more seasoned alien killer meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.