BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Game places that you have visited rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Today I visited the palace of Sanssouci in Potsdam, just outside of Berlin. It was my awareness of Kiesling's board game Sanssouci that motivated me to go and visit really.

Later on I started to wonder how many other games I own or know about whose thematic location is somewhere I have been. Turns out only a couple...

Carcassonne - I went there a couple of years ago. Always think of it whenever the board game hits the table.

Snowdonia - It's a distant memory from my youth, but I definitely remember taking a cable car to the top.

Anyone else been somewhere featured in a board game?

Edit: Forgot to include Samurai. I've been to that part of the world...a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New York 1901 - not in that year though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingdom Death: Monster - I live in Los Angeles and,
Cave Evil - I don't wanna talk about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

A beautiful city in Belgium. Go check it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

There's a fun geeklist in similar vein that you may enjoy: I Can See My House From Here!!!

I've been to loads of game locations because I've lived in some major cities and very historic regions of the USA, even now (my own entry in that geeklist is because my house was directly adjacent to where the Battle of Guilford Courthouse was fought).

Being something of a history buff, I enjoy being in locations that tie in with board games and also with my music, where the people lived or the events happened that inspired various folk and blues songs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Karnuth
United States
Fleming Island
Fl
flag msg tools
I don't know...I just don't know...
mbmbmbmbmb
Niagara Falls...and that's probably about it.shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar - I've been to Mayan ruins at Chichen Itza, Yucatan.

Goa and Jaipur - all around India in 1993

Lewis & Clark and Discoveries - been to many of the places they stopped or visited, including their winter camp at Fort Clatsop, OR.

Macao - was there at least twice in the 1980s and again in 2000

Glory to Rome, Roma, and Arena: Roma II - in 1996

Hawaii - several times, the last too many years ago. I want to go back.

Notre Dame - yes, seen the cathedral in Paris

Bruges - 2002 on a trip to Belgium, Luxembourg, and the Netherlands

Rialto - bridge in Venice, same year as Rome

Saint Petersburg - 1998 on a weekend train trip from Helsinki

Lords of Vegas - my son lives in Las Vegas, so I'm there once or twice a year

Thurn and Taxis and Thurn and Taxis: Power and Glory - been to almost all the cities on those two maps

The Speicherstadt - yes, twice in Hamburg, including Miniatur Wunderland and Hamburg Dungeon

Oregon - many times, see note above about Lewis & Clark.

The Road to Canterbury - yes, but just like Hawaii, it was a long time ago and it would be nice to go back.

Alhambra - just last year I was in Granada

Traders of Osaka and Yokohama - I just returned from 7 weeks in Japan. I was in both these cities.

Sanssouci - yes, on a trip through northern Germany and Poland in 2013. It was teeming rain when I got there, but fortunately the second day was sunny, which was when I walked around the whole complex for most of the day.

Portobello Market - yes, but not since 1992

221B Baker Street: The Master Detective Game and Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective - see entry immediately above.

The Downfall of Pompeii - yes, same year I was in Rome and Venice

Fjords - a pretty broad category, but I was in Norway in 1998 and saw lots of fjords.

Cartagena - I lived in Bogota in 1976-77, and went to Cartagena during Christmas break and again two years later.

10 Days in Africa - I lived in Mozambique, and I've been a tourist in South Africa, Egypt, and Morocco.

This list is only the games I own. I'm sure I've been to many other places from games I don't own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Harrison
United States
Beavercreek
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Three years ago we took a trip to Italy. In addition to the mega popular game settings of Venice, Florence, and Rome, we also visited Siena and Bomarzo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's rather solem that I'm a wargamer who lives Normandy. I have many games that feature towns and villages I visit from day to day, each with their own story.

As I collect more games containing events in French history, which is my thematic aim at the moment, the more the history comes alive for me. From Vercingetorix and his uprising against the Romans, through Charlemagne to the French Wars of Religion, and onto the last century, games are a gateway into the local history. All the places associated with the games are an intergral part of the experience.

I'll read and book or two on the history while playing the game a few times and then take a trip to the location to try to understand that particular story as much as I can. That way I learn a bit about history and in turn appreciate the game even more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Johansson
Sweden
Järfälla
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
K2? Anyone? I will give you bag
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inappropriate Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I spent far too long looking at road names and buildings the last time I went to Whitechapel, not long after buying Letters from Whitechapel.
I was with my non-game-playing brother-in-law, who already thinks I'm a bit weird
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Copy Imitator
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since Belgium is as big as a beachtowel I've pretty much been everywhere in my own country. Bruges,Bruxelles 1893,Ardennes '44,Dunkerque: 1940.
UK: London After Midnight (loads of games about London, this is just my favorite ), The Road to Canterbury
Ireland:Destination Dublin
France: Paris Connection
Spain: Barcelona: The Rose of Fire
Netherlands:Amsterdam,Rotterdam
Germany: ESSEN The Game: SPIEL'13
Austria:Vienna

Never been outside of the EU

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James O'Grady
United Kingdom
Wymondham
Norfolk
flag msg tools
I've been to Dorking, site of the 1871: The Battle of Dorking.

And Dublin, city of Easter Week, Dublin 1916 1922
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I live at the France/Germany border, what is my prize ? whistle

I have lived in Marseille for years, on the Mare Nostrum coast where I have driven a few times in front of the prison where the Guillotine was used for the last time in France (nothing morbid: I had my driving practices in this area) and I now live in Strasbourg.

During my journeys in France, I have gone in Orléans twice, I have spent time at relatives' place in Burgundy or in Paris.
During a (or 2? I don't remember very well) kind of Tour de France, I went as far as Trier where I saw the Black gate and stopped in Douaumont where I saw the consequences of The Great War.

More anecdotal : I have gone in Luxembourg, to Croatia (through parts of Germany, Austria and Slovenia), in Oxford (where I saw the college where were shot some scenes of Hogwarts and in several cities in Italy (Rome, Pompeii ...).

But, in the end I don't feel I have travelled a lot as the distances between those place are relatively short.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew VanSpronsen
Canada
Kitchener
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting post...I have actually started to incorporate places I have been into my board game purchasing and vice versa...

Vistited Cinque Terre 1.5 years ago and recently acquired the game of the same name.

While in Italy we also visited a number of the towns depicted in The Palaces of Carrara so I was happy to get my hands on that game a couple of months ago.

Visited Portugal 2.5 years ago and picked up Vinhos Deluxe which depicts a number of the areas we visited while in the country. City of Spies: Estoril 1942 has been on the want list for the same reason.

I was in Trier Germany a couple of months back and visited the Porta Nigra with the goal of then acquiring that game but it has slid down the wish list.

Seems like a fun way to approach collecting and playing the games featuring those places brings back good memories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ESA tried adding all Mars games to this list but it didn't quite work out whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been to Carnac,Saint Malo,Le Havre and Dieppe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Hjelmberg
Sweden
Saltsjö-Boo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the games I've played, Monopoly is an obvious candidate, at least its Swedish incarnation with Stockholm streets.

I guess games played over a wide area don't count (Dominant Species is played on Earth, Civilization is played around the Mediterranean, Diplomacy is played in Europe and so on).

For specific countries, I've been to Germany (Power Grid, Hansa Teutonica), Great Britain (Britannia, The King Is Dead), Greece (Poseidon), Spain (El Grande), Madeira (Madeira), USA (Lewis & Clark) and China (China).

For specific cities, I've been to Rome (Glory to Rome, The Republic of Rome), Beijing (Tiananmen) and Lucca (Lucca).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been to the Cyclades, even honeymooning on Santorini.

Pete (actually has been to a lot of board game places, but this is his favorite spot in the world)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I grew up in Ticket to Ride's Duluth, which is located in Minneapolis.

And I've been to the setting of The Creature That Ate Sheboygan a number of times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Candyland. I barely escaped!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:

laugh

All About Appleton
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nhjelmberg wrote:
I guess games played over a wide area don't count (Dominant Species is played on Earth, Civilization is played around the Mediterranean, Diplomacy is played in Europe and so on).

I left it open really, just to encourage as many people to post whatever they felt like contributing. No criteria necessary. But yeah, maybe Dominant Species is stretching it a tad So many wonderful replies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jay
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bison: Thunder on the Prairie This totally counts cause I live here Dakota
King of New York
Merchants of Amsterdam
Fortress Berlin The town, not the war. There are so few games here not WWII themed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.